Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is the difference between studying criminology and criminal justice at university??
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Taz2)
    What is the difference between studying criminology and criminal justice at university??
    I would suspect not much at all. The best way is to compare the syllabus for each and note the differences.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above, check out the syllabus. I would guess criminal justice would have a law feel to it, linking in to crime and punishment. Criminology is a segment of sociology and will look more at the internal challenges such as why commit crime and as a society how we manage and influence it. If the syllabus is unclear or unavailable then I would suggest an open day and discuss it with the available lecturers. Good luck choosing. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taz2)
    Hi,

I'm just about to commence my MSc in Criminal Justice and Criminology. The two are different, but do interlink. It is likely that whichever you choose, they will share content from the other.

Criminology is the study of crime, looking at why people commit crime and how society responds. Criminology is all about asking questions and obtaining information with the aim of proposing how crime can be prevented in the future. There is a lot of analysing information and researching that criminologists undertake.

Criminal Justice is concentrated more on systems associated with crime, for instance, police, courts, probation, etc and often covers the powers and limitations of these agencies. Law makes up a big proportion of study on a Criminal Justice programme.

I hope this helps.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.