Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Learning Spanish and German Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Have you got any useful resources? I not learning for A level or GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djbrowniej19)
    Hi :wavey:
    Have you tried Duolingo? It's a pretty good website/app for learning languages. It's a good place to start, but you will need more resources to complement it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djbrowniej19)
    Stay away from any language apps that just teach you sayings and not grammar/linguistics behind the language eg duolingo, rosetta stone, etc

I did French and German A Level and self taught Spanish (learning 3 years so pretty confident now)- I ordered a CGP revision guide for KS3 and learned basic vocab like body parts, numbers, family members, politeness, alphabet, bday, etc (all the stuff you do in lower school languages), then I bought grammar guides to learn about the articles and cases. Both together were about £12 on amazon, so would reccommend! Get sheets of paper and nice sharpies and make word fans to memorize vocabulary.

Other ways to learn vocabulary:
    1) Quizlet- make a free account online w/ email and make the most of online flashcards, vocab games, tests
    2) speak phrases to yourself and record them and listen to them

Ways to improve fluency/confidence even if your overall grasp of the language isn't strong:
    1) Put Spanish/German subtitles on tv/films
    2) Listen to Spanish/German music/radio stations/spotify playlists
    3) watch Spanish/German youtubers (google them and find a list), TV shows (look up Spanish TV channels and you should be able to stream- ZDF is the German one and they've got loads of dramas/other TV series!
    4) When you go on holiday abroad, go into the local newsagents and get any newspaper/magazine in these languages. I've been getting German newspapers and magazines since I was at GCSE and it really helps

German YouTubers I reccommend:
    1) Dagi Bee - beauty/lifestyle blogger, but her accent is from Cologne so is one of the clearer ones to understand and the accent you're taught on the curriculum.
    2) Die Lochis- they're teenagers that do covers/music etc but have content similar to Joe Weller and other funny youtube channels

Listen to these German singers:
    1) Nena- 99 Luftballoons (u gotta)
    2) Mark Forster- wir sind gross
    3) Tokyo Hotel (never admit to this)

PLEASE message me if you need help in German! Hoping to do it at uni and absoltely adore it. Any grammar, pronunciation, vocab help- tell me!!!!

Good luck and ENJOY! And remember to take your time- short term memory won't help you when put on the spot in the countries

Viel Glueck!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    Stay away from any language apps that just teach you sayings and not grammar/linguistics behind the language eg duolingo, rosetta stone, etc

I did French and German A Level and self taught Spanish (learning 3 years so pretty confident now)- I ordered a CGP revision guide for KS3 and learned basic vocab like body parts, numbers, family members, politeness, alphabet, bday, etc (all the stuff you do in lower school languages), then I bought grammar guides to learn about the articles and cases. Both together were about £12 on amazon, so would reccommend! Get sheets of paper and nice sharpies and make word fans to memorize vocabulary.

Other ways to learn vocabulary:
    1) Quizlet- make a free account online w/ email and make the most of online flashcards, vocab games, tests
    2) speak phrases to yourself and record them and listen to them

Ways to improve fluency/confidence even if your overall grasp of the language isn't strong:
    1) Put Spanish/German subtitles on tv/films
    2) Listen to Spanish/German music/radio stations/spotify playlists
    3) watch Spanish/German youtubers (google them and find a list), TV shows (look up Spanish TV channels and you should be able to stream- ZDF is the German one and they've got loads of dramas/other TV series!
    4) When you go on holiday abroad, go into the local newsagents and get any newspaper/magazine in these languages. I've been getting German newspapers and magazines since I was at GCSE and it really helps

German YouTubers I reccommend:
    1) Dagi Bee - beauty/lifestyle blogger, but her accent is from Cologne so is one of the clearer ones to understand and the accent you're taught on the curriculum.
    2) Die Lochis- they're teenagers that do covers/music etc but have content similar to Joe Weller and other funny youtube channels

Listen to these German singers:
    1) Nena- 99 Luftballoons (u gotta)
    2) Mark Forster- wir sind gross
    3) Tokyo Hotel (never admit to this)

PLEASE message me if you need help in German! Hoping to do it at uni and absoltely adore it. Any grammar, pronunciation, vocab help- tell me!!!!

Good luck and ENJOY! And remember to take your time- short term memory won't help you when put on the spot in the countries

Viel Glueck!!!
    Muchas gracias those tips are really helpful😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.