Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

a level English language investigation Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am trying to come up with some ideas for my language investigation but I have no idea what to do
    I keep going through potential ideas like regional accents in tv programmes, language of children's books, spoken language differences between generations... even the language of weather reports. I can't settle on an idea!!

Any suggestions would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mlb37)
    I am trying to come up with some ideas for my language investigation but I have no idea what to do
    I keep going through potential ideas like regional accents in tv programmes, language of children's books, spoken language differences between generations... even the language of weather reports. I can't settle on an idea!!

Hey. I just finished A-Level English Language (AQA) and for my language investigation (coursework) I did this question (just to give you an idea);

'How has the rhetoric used in the 2016 US presidential race shaped the election, influencing the electorate?'
    I believe I got a B/A on this, although I don't have my result yet. I did this as I was intrigued by the US election and thought it would be a fun project. I also did a summer project prior to the actual one (teacher set this to prepare us for the real thing) and I used the question; 'How is language used by the media, to both manipulate and influence the views of their intended audience?', which I found was fun, especially given the range of newspapers and tabloids in this country. I know my classmates did questions regarding the use of language on social media, difference between young boys and girls, how children interact with parents and carers, gender neutral language for example. As long as you can pick a topic you're confident with and find some source material (primary allows for more marks potentially), then you'll be fine.
    Hope this helps. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srdavison123)
    Hey. I just finished A-Level English Language (AQA) and for my language investigation (coursework) I did this question (just to give you an idea);

'How has the rhetoric used in the 2016 US presidential race shaped the election, influencing the electorate?'

I believe I got a B/A on this, although I don't have my result yet. I did this as I was intrigued by the US election and thought it would be a fun project. I also did a summer project prior to the actual one (teacher set this to prepare us for the real thing) and I used the question; 'How is language used by the media, to both manipulate and influence the views of their intended audience?', which I found was fun, especially given the range of newspapers and tabloids in this country. I know my classmates did questions regarding the use of language on social media, difference between young boys and girls, how children interact with parents and carers, gender neutral language for example. As long as you can pick a topic you're confident with and find some source material (primary allows for more marks potentially), then you'll be fine.
    Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply!
    I'm doing OCR, but the investigations all seem pretty similar.
    I also did a mini investigation based on politics but it didn't interest me that much. I don't want to choose a weak subject or something that examiners will be bored of seeing! I have too many broad ideas, that's my problem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mlb37)
    Thanks for the reply!
    I'm doing OCR, but the investigations all seem pretty similar.
    I also did a mini investigation based on politics but it didn't interest me that much. I don't want to choose a weak subject or something that examiners will be bored of seeing! I have too many broad ideas, that's my problem!
    No problem. I've personally not seen the OCR specification but it does all seem very similar. We just had to do (for this piece of coursework) an investigation into language use regarding a topic/scenario of our choice which we had to find both primary and secondary source material for. I'm assuming yours is similar and then simply analyse for language features/frameworks?
    As long as you can write a lot about the area you choose, it should all be fairly straight forward. Don't worry about 'boring the examiners', they're paid to mark your work, all you need to worry about is carrying out your work to the best of your ability!

ReputationRep:
    No problem. I've personally not seen the OCR specification but it does all seem very similar. We just had to do (for this piece of coursework) an investigation into language use regarding a topic/scenario of our choice which we had to find both primary and secondary source material for, I'm assuming yours is similar and then simply analyse for language features/frameworks?
    As long as you can write a lot about the area you choose, it should all be fairly straight forward. Don't worry about 'boring the examiners', they're paid to mark your work, all you need to worry about is carrying out your work to the best of your ability!
    Yeah, my coursework is pretty much the same. I'm not too worried about the actual writing up part, it's just coming up with an idea! Thanks for the advice though
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mlb37)

Hi there! I loved the investigation coursework in English Language, although I did AQA. I did about how British rappers use MLE to establish their identity, but I did a mini project in year 12 about how women and men use language differently in office environments. I recommend you find something you're genuinely interested in, for example if you want to go into childcare or something then looking at the language of children's books might be good, although I'd wait until you've covered CLA (if you do this in OCR).

I'm going to shift your thread over to the English section to help you get more replies, if you need any more specific advice, just let me know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)
    Hi there! I loved the investigation coursework in English Language
    I'd agree with you and say I loved it. But the 2000 word limit was absolutely ridiculous. Having to do all that analysis with so little words was beyond frustrating!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with you and say I loved it. But the 2000 word limit was absolutely ridiculous. Having to do all that analysis with so little words was beyond frustrating!
    Hahah! That's true, and when you are really interested in a topic, you can write forever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)
    Hi there! I loved the investigation coursework in English Language, although I did AQA. I did about how British rappers use MLE to establish their identity, but I did a mini project in year 12 about how women and men use language differently in office environments. I recommend you find something you're genuinely interested in, for example if you want to go into childcare or something then looking at the language of children's books might be good, although I'd wait until you've covered CLA (if you do this in OCR).

I'm going to shift your thread over to the English section to help you get more replies, if you need any more specific advice, just let me know
    Hi, I'm starting my language investigation coursework as well and was wondering if song lyrics can be used in investigation. My question is somewhere along the lines of how an artist uses song lyrics to create an identity.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jawsomesauce35)
    Hi, I'm starting my language investigation coursework as well and was wondering if song lyrics can be used in investigation. My question is somewhere along the lines of how an artist uses song lyrics to create an identity.
    Yeah you can; that's pretty much what I did.

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay thanks that's good to here 🤗

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.