Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does choosing "with a year abroad" lessen chances of getting an offer? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    hey, so basically UCL offers history (3 yrs) as well as history with a year abroad (4 yrs). The year abroad element really appeals to me, but I am wondering whether it will be more difficult to get an offer if i were to choose this? Ultimately, I would love to be in UCL & if this would make it harder to get an offer then I'd rather just go for a conventional 3 yr undergrad degree. If not, then I'd be delighted to study a yr abroad! Anyone able to inform me here because I'm not sure how this works 😂 Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Nah it won't be, you only apply for the year abroad in year 3 and if your grades and stuff are satisfactory, they'll let you go. So it's the same difficulty as any other standard offer for admission.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you go for the Non-abroad option you can easily change anytime in your 1st year. 2nd year is when the applications of year abroad will take place

ReputationRep:
    If the year abroad option is very popular it will lessen your chances but if you're a strong application I wouldn't worry. If it's really popular there may be more applications which make it more difficult but generally it should be same as the non abroad course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arch0wnz)
    Nah it won't be, you only apply for the year abroad in year 3 and if your grades and stuff are satisfactory, they'll let you go. So it's the same difficulty as any other standard offer for admission.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for the responses, it seems to make sense now. I ended up sending an email to the department just before I saw these replies! Let's see what they have to say in response though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.