Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslim sues school for asking her not to wear burka on premises Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orderofthelotus)
    Bad, bad excuse for whatever load of bull that was.

Thank you.
    You're welcome It's really important that you use the report function for content which concerns you, along with a description of the concern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    I bet your ideal world is a free-for-all right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    You said westerners need to make more of an effort to interact with burqa & niqab wearers. I merely said that the same must surely also apply the other way. Do you claim otherwise?
    When did I say that westerners must interact with Burka wearers? Anyways, a westerner can also be wearing a Burka stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    It wasn't a student, it was a visitor to the school.
    The issue is pretty simple - are visitors on school premises allowed to wear masks, or not?
    They are not but this is different as this is done for religious reasons. You can't just ask someone to take off their religious clothing it makes you come of as paranoid.This should only be done when the person is acting suspicious not for any random person who is acting normally. Even then, it has to been done with certainty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Of course people should be allowed to wear a burqa or niqab - except in situations where covering the face is restricted.
    We can just make other ways to see if they're suspicious.

ReputationRep:
    If you want more freedom than already exists, you should also be prepared to accept the end to all PC BS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not I'm not demanding more freedom in the UK, as ours is almost perfect. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with being politically correct either. It's only bad when it's completely over the top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotDetermination)
    They are not but this is different as this is done for religious reasons. You can't just ask someone to take off their religious clothing it makes you come of as paranoid.This should only be done when the person is acting suspicious not for any random person who is acting normally. Even then, it has to been done with certainty.
    It's cultural and not religious. Anyway, why should that make a difference? Culture and religion shouldn't be an excuse to behave badly or be granted special rights. Everybody is equal and everybody has to obey the rules

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EternalLight)
    Just to make it absolutely clear in case you're getting the wrong impression I do not support female circumcision at all. It's harmful and leads to problems but the argument here is if someone wants to do x and y do their bodies as an adult, why should they not be allowed to? If at the end of the day it is their body and they are harming nobody else.
    No! No, and thrice no.

You said...
    "The point is some Muslimahs do want to cover their face as part of their religion so the freedom of religion should allow that."

The point wasn't whether some things are inherently more or less acceptable than others, or whether people have autonomy over their own bodies.
    It was whether simply "wanting to do it as part of their religion" is a legitimate justification for doing something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EternalLight)
    Which I categorically disagree with. In fact I don't even think males should be circumcised before they are 18. It should be their choice to make as an adult.
    So "freedom of religion" can be trumped by other concerns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    (Your post has been reported by the way).
    How can you tell? o.o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    No! No, and thrice no.

You said...
    "The point is some Muslimahs do want to cover their face as part of their religion so the freedom of religion should allow that."

The point wasn't whether some things are inherently more or less acceptable than others.
    It was whether simply "wanting to do it as part of their religion" is ever a legitimate justification for it.
    Yes. The freedom of religion is not an absolute right. We've all seen the abuse which every religion has perpetrated due to the deference society has had. The Catholic sex abuse was only able to happen because nobody was allowed to question anything. Too much power and too much money with tax breaks.

Nobody else is allowed to cover their entire face, so why should one group has that privilege? The head scarf is always an option. I get the feeling that some just want to wear the burka to piss people off and get attention.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you want to check, click on the "report post" button of any post and you can see how many times it's been reported without actually submitting a report yourself.
    Oh. Jazakallah khair, brother.

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM :rofl:

(Your post has been reported by the way). In b4 this post is also reported.
    We'll go down together! :rip:

ReputationRep:
    Oh. Jazakallah khair, brother.
    Mashaytan ukhti.

ReputationRep:
    Mashaytan ukhti.
    Oh my god :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I said something like this once and I swear it was 30 seconds before I got The PM.
    I wait with baited breath.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I dont even get why this has got to be discussed.....so you can criticize people and prove the rest of you are correct???
    What has this world come to......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImReady!)
    I dont even get why this has got to be discussed.....so you can criticize people and prove the rest of you are correct???
    What has this world come to......
    I know. People never discuss anything in real life. It's so unusual to actually...talk about issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you don't like discussions, don't come to the ****ing 'Debate and current affairs' forum.

I will do whats better for me and not you
    so avoid telling me what to do

ReputationRep:
    Well look at you acting high and mighty, coming to complain on a debate forum...about debating lmao. Whatever floats your boat sweetie xxx
    Thank You

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.