Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslim sues school for asking her not to wear burka on premises Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    ISOC... the biggest circle jerk on TSR.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, if you define circle jerk to denote a group of people spreading information that they all mutually agree with, then TSR Ex Muslim thread is also one.

In fact, many threads are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popo111)
    Well, if you define circle jerk to denote a group of people spreading information that they all mutually agree with, then TSR Ex Muslim thread is also one.

In fact, many threads are!
    Something can only be the superlative when there are lesser versions, I thought that was obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Something can only be the superlative when there are lesser versions, I thought that was obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Both the ISOC and TSR Ex Muslim thread (mostly) post content that its users agree with.

There is no logical distinction here between the two. In fact, like yourself, I could assert that the ISOC is the lesser one.

So no, it isn't evident!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    Would the ID show a woman with a face veil, then?
    no then it wouldn't be an ID

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotDetermination)
    They are not but this is different as this is done for religious reasons.
    But covering the face is not an explicit requirement of Islam, it is a quasi-cultural development that is considered as a requirement by some. Just like FGM. Should that also be allowed "for religious reasons"?

You can't just ask someone to take off their religious clothing it makes you come of as paranoid.This should only be done when the person is acting suspicious not for any random person who is acting normally. Even then, it has to been done with certainty.
    I'm confused now.
    Do you think that visitors on school premises should have to remove masks and other face coverings, or not?
    If you think it is acceptable for visitors to school premises to hide their faces, then that applies to everyone, not just people covering their faces due to non-mandatory religious custom. If you think it is unacceptable, the same principle applies.

ReputationRep:
    You aren't actually allowed to disagree in the ISOC, if you do you will just get reported and removed. Which only furthers the jerking nature, imagine if someone brought up LGBT issues :moon:

You can assert what ever you like my darling
    Wrong. You can disagree within the ISOC as long as you do not engage in prolonged debate, do not insult or offend. I have seen many fruitful debates from there.

If viewed within the context of the rules (which are different), then there is no difference. If there is, it certainly is not significant enough to be "lesser of the two".

Both threads post content which its users mutually agree with and therefore both have their fair share of "circle jerk". If one prohibits insults or offensive topics, then it may be viewed as intolerant (relatively) but certainly not viewed as having more "circle jerk".

It is quite ironic seeing you made the first (incorrect) assertion.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong. You can disagree within the ISOC as long as you do not engage in prolonged debate, do not insult or offend. I have seen many fruitful debates from there.
    The evidence does not bear this out.

ReputationRep:

If viewed within the context of the rules (which are different), then there is no difference. If there is, it certainly is not significant enough to be "lesser of the two".

Both threads post content which its users mutually agree with and therefore both have their fair share of "circle jerk". If one prohibits insults or offensive topics, then it may be viewed as intolerant (relatively) but certainly not viewed as having more "circle jerk".

It is quite ironic seeing you made the first (incorrect) assertion.
    Lets not derail the thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    Precisely. I recall asking a frequent user of their thread a very simple question and subsequently receiving a PM accusing me of attempting to bash her group of people or something of that sort.
    Have you reported this to the CT, and put it in your feedback thread? If you haven't, could I urge you do to so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    The evidence does not bear this out.
    I have disagreed with the ISOC (in the past) and had debates there. I also followed the requirements that I metioned in my last post.

The ISOC could be viewed as "intolerant" in some situations but certainly does not have more "circle jerk" than the other thread in question.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Have you reported this to the CT, and put it in your feedback thread? If you haven't, could I urge you do to so.
    Oh right. I wasn't aware that was the standard thing to do. I'll get to it shortly I guess. I could PM you the message to check, if that's alright with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    Oh right. I wasn't aware that was the standard thing to do. I'll get to it shortly I guess. I could PM you the message to check, if that's alright with you.
    I've PMed you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orderofthelotus)
    Quick, rep before it's too late everyone
    :mmm: Tbf, the other post is still here.

ReputationRep:
    You are all so busy with your Muslim-bashing that you cannot see the basis for the claim.

"took her to a room to inform her of the unwritten policy"

"not been necessary to date for the school to have this requirement stated in written policy"

"we are now considering a written amendment to our health and safety policy to include this specific requirement and will follow the normal protocol of seeking the approval of the governing body"

Why do you need to consult in order to write down something that is already school policy, albeit unwritten?

The truth is likely to be that there was no school policy banning face veils. Someone simply decided to discriminate against this lady by inventing a non-existant policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    You are all so busy with your Muslim-bashing that you cannot see the basis for the claim.

"took her to a room to inform her of the unwritten policy"

"not been necessary to date for the school to have this requirement stated in written policy"

"we are now considering a written amendment to our health and safety policy to include this specific requirement and will follow the normal protocol of seeking the approval of the governing body"

Why do you need to consult in order to write down something that is already school policy, albeit unwritten?

The truth is likely to be that there was no school policy banning face veils. Someone simply decided to discriminate against this lady by inventing a non-existant policy.
    The school can do whatever they want regarding dress code. I'm sure there's no rule that visitors can't wear visible nipple clamps, but it's kind of assumed. The basis for her claim is money money money. This is common sense and not "Muslim bashing".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    More STDs being shared there though.
    Quick doctor, another side effect is absence of intelligence!

ReputationRep:
    Quick doctor, another side effect is absence of intelligence!
    I am so offended I might report you :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    The school can do whatever they want regarding dress code. I'm sure there's no rule that visitors can't wear visible nipple clamps, but it's kind of assumed.
    There is a difference between conduct that is generally unacceptable remaining unacceptable when it is on school premises (the example you gave) and arbitrarily forbidding someone from doing something that is generally acceptable in our country without any process.

Whenever a public body says "it is our policy", the sensible response is always, please provide a copy of the policy and please provide a copy of the decision introducing it.

And no, the school cannot do whatever it wants. It is a public body. It cannot act unreasonably and it can only make decisions for lawful reasons taking into account relevant and excluding irrelevant considerations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    There is a difference between conduct that is generally unacceptable remaining unacceptable when it is on school premises (the example you gave) and arbitrarily forbidding someone from doing something that is generally acceptable in our country without any process.

Whenever a public body says "it is our policy", the sensible response is always, please provide a copy of the policy and please provide a copy of the decision introducing it.

And no, the school cannot do whatever it wants. It is a public body. It cannot act unreasonably and it can only make decisions for lawful reasons taking into account relevant and excluding irrelevant considerations.
    Covering your face is not generally acceptable. They probably don't allow baseball caps or hoodies, so why should they allow burkas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aware1)
    Funny this, I brought up LGBT issues at an ISoC once and was told to be quiet because I might hurt someone's opinions. As if. Man up and discuss, it didn't stop me from being censored.

The problems were. If you're Pro LGBT they say be quiet cause it's against Islam. If you are against LGBT they still say quiet as they want to avoid controversy...so I just didn't care and spoke as I wanted to.
    What is even funnier is the comment you quoted has been removed :lol:

The tendrils of censorship are expanding :hide:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.