The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YaliaV
We are all forced to conform in many ways - that's a society for you. There are rules and responsibilities. Special dispensations result in an unequal society

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but our society is already unequal: we are not living under a communist government. If this was a communist country, then I would have to agree with you but this is different. This an item of religious clothing: it would be morally wrong to force them to take it off.
Original post by HotDetermination
It's not about obeying the rules but rather expressing the freedom that we all strive towards. If we do something like this, it's just a step backward for all of us. This is essentially forcing one to conform to this society when we should be allowing people to express their culture however they like. England is diverse, many cultures make us up so depriving one of their culture is depriving England of its essence.

Yeah exactly, this is the UK. If the culture of another is not compatible with the home culture here and the other cultures which manage to exist peacefully here, then we have a problem with this incompatible culture.

We don't need the UK to become a free-for-all in the name of 'freedom'. I think you are deluded by your 'goals' of freedom.
Yes but our society is already unequal: we are not living under a communist government. If this was a communist country, then I would have to agree with you but this is different. This an item of religious clothing: it would be morally wrong to force them to take it off.

The origin of the wearing of the burka is cultural, as has been pointed out several times. Muslim women are required to dress modestly
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Moonstruck16
Yeah exactly, this is the UK. If the culture of another is not compatible with the home culture here and the other cultures which manage to exist peacefully here, then we have a problem with this incompatible culture.

We don't need the UK to become a free-for-all in the name of 'freedom'. I think you are deluded by your 'goals' of freedom.

And I believe I am not deluded in my 'goals' of freedom. It's not incompatible with the UK: this rule was initially a paranoid one it conveys a lack of trust between us as a society. A free for all society would be lovely: we can ignore things like ethnicity and grow together as humans. Optimism is what will help us to grow as a country: we have no room for pessimism!
The origin of the wearing of the burka is cultural, as has been pointed out several times. Muslim women are required to dress modestly, nothing in the Quran says that they need to dress up as the reaper.

An insensitive comment isn't going to help us here. Yes, it's cultural so let them partake in their culture. We don't need to complicate this: it's their choice what they do with themselves and exceptions will be made when it comes to religion.
The origin of the wearing of the burka is cultural, as has been pointed out several times. Muslim women are required to dress modestly, nothing in the Quran says that they need to dress up as the reaper.

The origin of the bowler hat was as protective headware when riding. Does that mean I am not allowed to wear one if I don't have a horse?
And I believe I am not deluded in my 'goals' of freedom. It's not incompatible with the UK: this rule was initially a paranoid one it conveys a lack of trust between us as a society. A free for all society would be lovely: we can ignore things like ethnicity and grow together as humans. Optimism is what will help us to grow as a country: we have no room for pessimism!

I think you are because it will never happen and if it did it would last all of about 1 second. You can't rewire hundreds of thousands of years of human behaviour. And by free-for-all you do realise it will not be at all harmonious lmao.
(edited 6 years ago)
An insensitive comment isn't going to help us here. Yes, it's cultural so let them partake in their culture. We don't need to complicate this: it's their choice what they do with themselves and exceptions will be made when it comes to religion.

Why should we permit a culture that is often considered incompatible with the culture of this country? You don't see people trying this when they move to Saudi Arabia lol.
Original post by nulli tertius
The origin of the bowler hat was as protective headware when riding. Does that mean I am not allowed to wear one if I don't have a horse?

Ah, an idiotic comparison. I was waiting for one to pop up.

I think the point being made it is not a religious item of clothing, but a cultural one and removing it does not impact religious freedoms.
Original post by Meany Pie
I think the point being made it is not a religious item of clothing, but a cultural one and removing it does not impact religious freedoms.

No, but it impacts on the freedom to wear a black bedsheet with eyeholes.
I am so offended I might report you :O

So you can joke and offend other people but you yourself cannot take a joke.

Got it.
Original post by popo111
So you can joke and offend other people but you yourself cannot take a joke.

Got it.

You have just made my day xxx
100% correct
They are most unlikely to prohibit baseball caps or hoodies amongst parents.

You are clearly living in a different country if you think that wearing a burka is not generally acceptable in the UK. No-one will arrest you in the street, no-one will prevent you being served in a bank or Post-Office and in the overwhelming majority of schools you will not be turned away from parents' evening if wearing a burka.

Not to mention that the woman making the claim has been wearing a burka for 14 years and had not had any issues collecting her children from school prior to this incident.
No, but it impacts on the freedom to wear a black bedsheet with eyeholes.

That isn't a freedom protected by law is it?
Sorry since when did schools dictate what a parent wears? If it was actual written policy fair enough, but it wasn't.

So sort of but not really since it has been forbidden.
Original post by Meany Pie
So sort of but not really since it has been forbidden.

The point is that that it is not forbidden generally, she is entitled to wear what she pleases provided she does not offend against laws on decency etc, simply because it is a free country, and the school as a public body is only entitled to do regulate what she wears on their premises so long as it is lawful and reasonable.

The key point is that almost certainly there was no policy about face coverings until someone tried to tell her that she was in breach of it. That is likely to be fatal to the school's position.
Lmao do you think I actually reported you for that? Please, I'm not a member of ISOC ahahaha

You're not that special sweetie and neither are your replies.

Nope, I thought exactly what you wrote, which was you were inclined to. And yet you continue with your drivel.

I would make another joke on the last bit but don't want to "offend" you.