Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslim sues school for asking her not to wear burka on premises Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMR2017)
    I don't understand how Muslim women are not seem to be proud of Britain as much as others are, I mean I am very proud of Britain and its culture!
    I have never said anything of the sort! But I do say now, that wearing a Burka or a Niqab, is
    probably as British, as wearing a Pickelhaub and having a German Kaiser instead of the King. Or the Queen.

I say probably, because I'm not British either. But nemo iudex in causa sua, then maybe I'm even in a better position to say so, and being in Britain, or any other country, I would not dare to enforce my culture or just being ostentatious about it.

It is as elegant and decorum, as an American from the middle west, asking for a hamburger while being in Rome in a proper Italian restaurant, or a Brit swearing loudly in a restaurant in Cracow, as I witnessed, thinking that nobody can understand him anyway, and acting like, just because he is in a country commonly associated with vodka, he can get himself drunk so badly, to vomit over entire market place, and insult the local monuments!

Name:  44.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  39.4 KB

And speaking seriously: culture indicates many various factors. Including the way one dresses. If one is a guest, the one should try to blend in.
    And if Britain is to keep it's culture, you can't import a model of government from Russia, beer preferences from Poland, cuisine from France, or fashion from the middle East.

ReputationRep:
    In the middle east they have law saying you have to cover up or suffer the consequences, so why can't we have our laws saying you can't cover up? It's funny how the countries that want you to cover up are not as safe as those that don't want you to cover up , what does that tell you ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTMalewski)
    I have never said anything of the sort! But I do say now, that wearing a Burka or a Niqab, is
    probably as British, as wearing Pickelhaub and having a German Kaiser instead of the King. Or the Queen.

I say probably, because I'm not British either. But nemo iudex in causa sua, then maybe I'm even in a better position to say so, and being in Britain, or any other country, I would not dare to enforce my culture or just being ostentatious about it.

It is as elegant and decorum, as an American from the middle west, asking for a hamburger while being in Rome in a proper Italian restaurant, or a Brit swearing loudly in a restaurant in Cracow, as I witnessed, thinking that nobody can understand him anyway, and acting like, just because he is in a country commonly associated with vodka, he get himself drunk so badly, to vomit over entire market place, and insult the local monuments!

Name:  44.jpg
Size:  39.4 KB
    OK, What is up with the scary old man puppet?

ReputationRep:
    OK, What is up with the scary old man puppet?
    Trying hard to be funny and speak some elements of a serious message in the same time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTMalewski)
    Trying hard to be funny and speak some elements of a serious message in the same time.
    More scary than funny. It is as if his black beady eyes are searching my soul.

ReputationRep:
    And when a child gets kidnapped by someone who could not be identified because of the veil, the parents will sue the school for failure to provide adequate security. Surely, safety ought to be of paramount importance

ReputationRep:
    The school told her not to wear identity-concealing clothing on the premises and she saw dollar signs.

Burkas are a choice (husband permitting); a non-essential garment. This woman suffered no financial loss and her feelings aren't worthy of a payout.

I really hope this gets thrown out, but sadly the court will most likely pander.
    • Very Important Poster

Whilst you can wear what you like to run to your nearest legal aid solicitor and the papers is pathetic over this.

ReputationRep:
    I agrer with the school
    I just dont feel comfortable speaking to people with a veil over their face and just sering their eyes.
    I mean, women can wear whatever they want, but...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    An old family friend used to grab onto keys and make the sign of the cross whenever somebody in a burka walked past

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm very surprised they did not report it to the police, things like that offend them- look on YouTube at the Britain First videos they get so triggered when they walk around towns and cities with the Christian cross particularly ones with big muslim populations.

This is slightly off topic- during Euro 2016 football competition I had a St George's flag in my window my muslim neighbour reported it to a roaming police officer-the officer told me which house the complaint came from. This is where the double standards start to kick in he had an Hezbulloah flag on display- that's effectively a terrorist organisation-**** all was done, because they play the race/religion card

ReputationRep:
    The article states that the woman in question began wearing the face veil 14 years ago, and so has presumably been wearing it to collect her three children for the entire time they have been in school, so clearly it's not an impossible situation. Also, an 11 year old child is surely going to recognise their own mother, and the other parents at the school will also be able to recognise her by talking to her once they get to know her, as well as getting to know her individual mannerisms. I don't think a productive discussion on security issues and identification is going to happen until people at least begin to address their fear of the unfamiliar, which is very evident in some posts on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beth_H)
    The article states that the woman in question began wearing the face veil 14 years ago, and so has presumably been wearing it to collect her three children for the entire time they have been in school, so clearly it's not an impossible situation. Also, an 11 year old child is surely going to recognise their own mother, and the other parents at the school will also be able to recognise her by talking to her once they get to know her, as well as getting to know her individual mannerisms. I don't think a productive discussion on security issues and identification is going to happen until people at least begin to address their fear of the unfamiliar, which is very evident in some posts on this thread.
    I still can't get over the robbery that happened in Brixton a few weeks after my first year exams. Men dressed in the burka robbed a pawnbroker...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I mean, why not let women wear what they want?
    Maybe I want to go to a school conference in a G-string? Would it be wrong to ban this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If I walked in to a bank wearing a balaclava the employees behind the counter will start to **** themselves. So that's why you are not allowed to have your face covered in a bank. To make it a safer environment for the employees and customers in the bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7852396.html

This woman is a vexatious litigant, what a waste of the court's time. If she wins her lawyer will be enriched as will she, and the public purse impoverished. To what good end?

The more incidents there are like this, the more the division grows between non Muslims and non non Muslims.

Many will feel If she is so unhappy with this, why doesn't she go and live in a country whereshe would be forced to wear a burka anyway? Like Afghanistan?
    False.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h333)
    False.
    True

https://iwpr.net/global-voices/afgha...ll-bound-burka

ReputationRep:
    Don't tell me what's false and not about Afghanistan when I have been there and seen women without burka and actually majority of the girls don't even wear it. The country does not force anyone to wear it. Get your facts straight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h333)
    Don't tell me what's false and not about Afghanistan when I have been there and seen women without burka and actually majority of the girls don't even wear it. The country does not force anyone to wear it. Get your facts straight.
    My facts are straight.

Much of the country is under Taliban control again, and they force women to wear Burkas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beth_H)
    I don't think a productive discussion on security issues and identification is going to happen until people at least begin to address their fear of the unfamiliar, which is very evident in some posts on this thread.
    Lazy attempt to dismiss everyone who disagrees with you as 'xenophobic'. You could have at least saved me the trouble of calling you out for it.

I've already addressed the fact that people in this country expect to see another's facial expressions when talking to them, particularly in an environment where serious matters (school performance) are discussed with people who are expected to show interest in the progress of a child (their parents).

I personally don't feel comfortable talking to a slightly nodding piece of cloth. If that's the sentiment of the teachers at that school, then they do indeed have a legitimate wish not to talk to someone whose facial expression is hidden, and the right to ask them to take the obstructing item in question off.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_4808.JPG
Size:  25.3 KB

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.