Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslim sues school for asking her not to wear burka on premises Watch

ReputationRep:
    Lawsuits are ultimately about money - putting a dollar..... or in this case a pound..... figure on suffering. Admittedly there is some question as to how much she even "suffered" from this request.

ReputationRep:
    She just wants the money, but who wouldn't take that opportunity if they could? Hopefully she doesn't succeed though, I don't want our public finances being wasted on a silly issue like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alan_Shore)
    Lawsuits are ultimately about money - putting a dollar..... or in this case a pound..... figure on suffering. Admittedly there is some question as to how much she even "suffered" from this request.
    They are also sometimes used to make a poltical point.

This is one of those times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    The problem is the reason why they don't speak to certain people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why must a woman in Burka speak to certain people? Why doesn't a woman without a Burka have to speak with certain people? Is there new legislation saying its illegal not to speak with certain people? Are you taking us back to year 1, where everybody is a winner, everybody is a friend, and you have to be nice to everyone? Where does this logic come from? Why on Earth is there a problem if a woman DOESN'T speak to someone? If a woman in regular cloths doesn't have to speak to anyone she doesn't wish to, neither does a women in a Burka.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HabibSyed)
    Why must a woman in Burka speak to certain people? Why doesn't a woman without a Burka have to speak with certain people? Is there new legislation saying its illegal not to speak with certain people? Are you taking us back to year 1, where everybody is a winner, everybody is a friend, and you have to be nice to everyone? Where does this logic come from? Why on Earth is there a problem if a woman DOESN'T speak to someone? If a woman in regular cloths doesn't have to speak to anyone she doesn't wish to, neither does a women in a Burka.
    That's not what I said at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    To your last point you are most certainly not. What does "British by blood" even mean?

To your first there are a lot more people fro Afghanistan trying to leave the country, than there are those trying to move, there, let's put it like that.

Or maybe I have missed the huge queues of hopeful applicants wishing to make new lives outside the Afghan Embassies in London, Paris and DC...
    What do you mean "you are most certainly not", what information on this website do you have of me to say I'm not British. Don't bother pointing to my name, as I'm sure you're aware of the non-existant correlation between a name and place of citizenship right?

As to your second point, you standing outside an Embassy and looking at a line and describing it as "huge" isn't very relevant. Out of all 3 of those building combinded, there were no more than 5,000 afghan refugees. Lets make it fu*king 50,000. Doesn't change the fact that 2,500,000 are immigrating to Asia. Maybe your right, and Afghanistan is a developing country, now what? Half of the world are still developing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HabibSyed)
    What do you mean "you are most certainly not", what information on this website do you have of me to say I'm not British. Don't bother pointing to my name, as I'm sure you're aware of the non-existant correlation between a name and place of citizenship right?

As to your second point, you standing outside an Embassy and looking at a line and describing it as "huge" isn't very relevant. Out of all 3 of those building combinded, there were no more than 5,000 afghan refugees. Lets make it fu*king 50,000. Doesn't change the fact that 2,500,000 are immigrating to Asia. Maybe your right, and Afghanistan is a developing country, now what? Half of the world are still developing.
    On the second point you don't seem to have understood what I was saying so I'll say it again.

Lots of Afgans are leaving the country, no sane non Afghan would emigrate there. It is an utterly dysfunctional failed state.

On the first I have no idea of your ancestry. My point was that there is no such thing as "British blood" as far as I can see.

British nationality is meaningless nowadays. If a girl with Hungarian parents, born in Sydney, who came here a few years ago is British, everyone has " British blood" now. And no one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    She just wants the money, but who wouldn't take that opportunity if they could? Hopefully she doesn't succeed though, I don't want our public finances being wasted on a silly issue like this.
    You are just making the assumption that everything is about money, it may be for non Muslims but for Muslims it's not. Her religious freedoms were violated and she is taking the appropriate action. The suing is more of a statement that organisations cannot just discriminate and make rules up on the spot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EternalLight)
    You are just making the assumption that everything is about money, it may be for non Muslims but for Muslims it's not. Her religious freedoms were violated and she is taking the appropriate action. The suing is more of a statement that organisations cannot just discriminate and make rules up on the spot.
    It doesn't violate her religious freedoms though since there is no requirement in Islam to wear the burka, so she can freely practise her religion without wearing one.

ReputationRep:
    making the assumption
    it may be for non Muslims but for Muslims it's not
    Lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackbus)
    So I can walk into a school with a blacked out motorcycle helmet or a welding mask?

Rules are there for safeguarding reasons to protect the children.
    You won't get far in a welding mask...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you wear a burka? If not, why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    Do you wear a burka? If not, why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, I don't want to cover my face so I mostly wear an abaya.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h333)
    Don't tell me what's false and not about Afghanistan when I have been there and seen women without burka and actually majority of the girls don't even wear it. The country does not force anyone to wear it. Get your facts straight.
    It was enforced under Taliban rule and there are still many areas of Afghanistan where a women would be in serious harm's way if she did not wear a burqa in public.

ReputationRep:
    Just let dudes wear whatever they want! As a society, we value the expression of oneself so making this student remove their burka is going against everything we stand for. Let's not be so paranoid that we have to say that they are a risk to other students because you could say that about so many other things. Stairs are a risk: shall we ban them from schools as well?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotDetermination)
    Just let dudes wear whatever they want! As a society, we value the expression of oneself so making this student remove their burka is going against everything we stand for. Let's not be so paranoid that we have to say that they are a risk to other students because you could say that about so many other things. Stairs are a risk: shall we ban them from schools as well?
    But if you're covering your face, how do I know who I'm talking to? I don't. And I'm sure I was taught as a child, to look at someone when I talk to them. But how can I, if your face is covered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    But if you're covering your face, how do I know who I'm talking to? I don't. And I'm sure I was taught as a child, to look at someone when I talk to them. But how can I, if your face is covered?
    You can still see their eyes which means you can still make eye contact with them.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You can still see their eyes which means you can still make eye contact with them.
    If your deaf you'll need to see their mouth. How do you do that if it's covered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    If your deaf you'll need to see their mouth. How do you do that if it's covered?
    We can't just cycle through loads of hypothetical scenarios, particularly if the odds are rather low of said scenario occurring. But if you were deaf, you''d need a friend to translate for you via sign language.

ReputationRep:
    Just because you can see their eyes doesn't mean they are looking are you. And also, just because people have their eyes open doesn't automatically mean they can see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.