Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslim sues school for asking her not to wear burka on premises Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotDetermination)
    We can't just cycle through loads of hypothetical scenarios, particularly if the odds are rather low of said scenario occurring. But if you were deaf, you''d need a friend to translate for you via sign language.
    Not always. Some deaf people lip read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Not always. Some deaf people lip read.
    You're making this hard for me aren't you . Of course there are some limitations of the burka, but if it allows individuals to express themselves and adhere to their religions then it should be allowed. We are a country that values freedom we can't just ban something like this from schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Just because you can see their eyes doesn't mean they are looking are you. And also, just because people have their eyes open doesn't automatically mean they can see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But for the vast majority of people open eyes means that they can see. You should be able to tell from somebody's eyes if they're making eye contact with you or not it's not difficult or anything unless they're far away or something.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You're making this hard for me aren't you . Of course there are some limitations of the burka, but if it allows individuals to express themselves and adhere to their religions then it should be allowed. We are a country that values freedom we can't just ban something like this from schools.
    Actually I'm not. I do need to lip read sometimes, which is difficult when your face is covered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMR2017)
    I mean, why not let women wear what they want?
    it's a ****ing security issue, anyone can be hiding under the burka pretending to be someone else how the hell would you know?

Elizabeth Smart (look it up) was kidnapped and held in plain sight because she was forced to wear a burka by her kidnappers, she would have been found much earlier if it wasn't for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EternalLight)
    No, I don't want to cover my face so I mostly wear an abaya.
    Is it a religious requirement to cover your face?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrwb9876)
    It's a security risk. And the burka has no place in the UK. DEPORT HER!
    Bit over the top wouldn't you say? Shall we just deport everyone wearing a burka? Just imagine the consequences of attempting to try something like that. We value our freedom in this country, this includes the freedom for one to make their own decisions on what they wear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aware1)
    I agree and disagree. Women shouldn't be told what to wear, plain and simple. Let them wear whatever they desire.

The school is private property, its their rule. Either follow it or don't go.
    If you were to go to Saudi as a female it is expected you wear a veil on your head to cover your hair, so why do people refuse to follow the rules of western countries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Actually I'm not. I do need to lip read sometimes, which is difficult when your face is covered.
    I'm still going to say people should be allowed to wear the burka, despite the fact that it makes it difficult for people who are deaf or have hearing problems to converse with them.

ReputationRep:
    What a bunch of crybabies wasting taxpayer money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    Is it a religious requirement to cover your face?
    I know where you're going with this... The point is some Muslimahs do want to cover their face as part of their religion so the freedom of religion should allow that.

ReputationRep:
    I know where you're going with this... The point is some Muslimahs do want to cover their face as part of their religion so the freedom of religion should allow that.
    If it isn't a religious requirement then it isn't impacting freedom to practice religion. Perhaps it impacts freedom of culture but their no law against that.

The school has a duty to protect the children first and foremost, if they cannot identify someone on their premises it can pose a security risk which they are trying to avoid.

ReputationRep:
    The requirements of religion should be separate from the requirments of the state.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotdetermination)
    bit over the top wouldn't you say? Shall we just deport everyone wearing a burka? Just imagine the consequences of attempting to try something like that. We value our freedom in this country, this includes the freedom for one to make their own decisions on what they wear.
    yes we should deport them all !

ReputationRep:
    Bit over the top wouldn't you say? Shall we just deport everyone wearing a burka? Just imagine the consequences of attempting to try something like that. We value our freedom in this country, this includes the freedom for one to make their own decisions on what they wear.
    Freedom always comes at a price.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrwb9876)
    yes we should deport them all !
    We value freedom as a society. If we deport them all, that would just make us hypocrites!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Freedom always comes at a price.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not in my ideal world it doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    Not in my ideal world it doesn't.
    I bet your ideal world is a free-for-all right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We value freedom as a society. If we deport them all, that would just make us hypocrites!
    If you want more freedom than already exists, you should also be prepared to accept the end to all PC BS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    If it isn't a religious requirement then it isn't impacting freedom to practice religion. Perhaps it impacts freedom of culture but their no law against that.
    Fair enough then.

The school has a duty to protect the children first and foremost, if they cannot identify someone on their premises it can pose a security risk which they are trying to avoid.
    But in the article it says she has been picking her children up from the school and never had a problem with security and always lifted her veil to show her identity at the gates. Why now is there suddenly a problem?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.