Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'll keep this short as the issue is long winded..
    I was suspended from my university halfway through the year due to a suspicion of theft that had nothing to do with me. The uni called the police to investigate and the police cleared me of all suspicion and I was never charged with anything.

However 4 months later the university is still saying they are investigating the issue and I'm still suspended and I missed all my tests and failed the 1st year of my degree because of the suspension.

That in itself is devastating but now I've been forced to find a new course at a new uni, but I'm told by SF that because I did a foundation year and the 1st year of my degree course that I'm only eligible 2 more years of funding and if i choose a new degree I have to fund the first year myself.

So now I don't really know what to do... Any advise would be welcome but my question is.. Could i claim some sort of refund for tution fees for my 1st year as the course started in sept and I was suspended from april till now. The universities false accusations ruined my year and my chances of succeeding. Do they still get paid?
    Could I claim the fee's back so I can do 3 years at another uni?
    Who could i talk to for help?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dondarian)
    I'll keep this short as the issue is long winded..
    I was suspended from my university halfway through the year due to a suspicion of theft that had nothing to do with me. The uni called the police to investigate and the police cleared me of all suspicion and I was never charged with anything.

However 4 months later the university is still saying they are investigating the issue and I'm still suspended and I missed all my tests and failed the 1st year of my degree because of the suspension.

That in itself is devastating but now I've been forced to find a new course at a new uni, but I'm told by SF that because I did a foundation year and the 1st year of my degree course that I'm only eligible 2 more years of funding and if i choose a new degree I have to fund the first year myself.

So now I don't really know what to do... Any advise would be welcome but my question is.. Could i claim some sort of refund for tution fees for my 1st year as the course started in sept and I was suspended from april till now. The universities false accusations ruined my year and my chances of succeeding. Do they still get paid?
    Could I claim the fee's back so I can do 3 years at another uni?
    Who could i talk to for help?
    Hi Dondarian,

As you stated we would take into account the previous years you studied, meaning you would need to fund year one of your new course. If you are able to provide evidence of compelling personal reasons as to why you didn't complete your course then we can look into giving you an additional year of funding. In regards to a refund for the year you studied this would be down to the university you attended if they return the funds to us.

Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.