Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Public figures/icons/stars vs. the Cancer and Dementia pandemics: the new normal? Watch

ReputationRep:
    There is no question that these diseases are affecting more people, and claiming more lives, than ever before. We see evidence of this not just in the macro health stats for cancer and dementia but every day in the news media. Cancer is by far and away the leading cause of death in the UK and dementia has now risen to number two in England and Wales. Cancer also accounts, by now, for over 4 in 10 premature deaths, and that is in spite of significant advances in treatment and diagnosis

In the last week the much loved and lauded mathematician Maryam Mirzakhani perished, apparently due to breast cancer, at just 40 years of age. Now we hear that US Senator John McCain has developed glioblastoma multiforme (GBM), an aggressive (almost always terminal) form of malignant brain tumour that has seen a six-fold rise in incidence in the generation since mobile phone networks went live in the UK (90s)

In recent years, we have also learnt that Gene Wilder died due to Alzheimer’s disease, that Robin Williams, Ian McCaskill, and Andrew Sachs were suffering with dementia around the time of their deaths, and that the following souls were among those lost, often all too soon, to cancer:

Spoiler:
    Show
    • The husband and wife from the Wirral who were hospitalised and died within days of each other
    • Rio Ferdinand’s wife and mother
    • David Bowe
    • Alan Rickman
    • Patrick Swayze
    • Paul Newman
    • Dennis Hopper
    • Pete Postlethwaite
    • John Hurt
    • Roger Moore
    • Victoria Wood
    • Caroline Aherne
    • Terry Wogan
    • Tom Clancy
    • Ted Kennedy
    • Steve Jobs

Public figures who are reported to be battling/have battled cancer include:

Spoiler:
    Show
    • Maria Menounos and her mother
    • Nelson Mandela
    • Colin Powell
    • Robert De Niro
    • Dustin Hoffman
    • Michael Douglas
    • Val Kilmer
    • Hugh Jackman
    • Mark Ruffalo
    • Ben Stiller
    • Mr. T
    • Jennifer Saunders
    • Olivia Newton-John
    • Lance Armstrong
    • Rod Stewart
    • Morrissey
    • Sheryl Crow
    • Sharon Osborne
    • Kylie Minogue

It is deeply perturbing to see that these trends are becoming ‘the new normal’. Not least because a large and mounting body of science, along with a growing number of world-renowned health experts, increasingly points the finger firmly in the direction of anthropogenic sources of geno/neuro-toxicity. In other words, the elite appear to be content to permit mankind to render many gravely ill by way of avoidable poisoning e.g. via exposure to dietary/environmental (risk) factors of our own making

Particularly problematic exposures include those involving air pollution from combustables (smog), heavy metals (industrial production), and chemical pesticides (agriculture/horticulture), as well as ionising (nuclear) and non-ionising electromagnetic fields (EMF) and radiation (EMR): at both high (RFR i.e. wireless mobile/data coms) and low (ELF i.e. regular alternating current live mains electricity) frequencies (‘electrosmog’)

Big name ‘charities’, the government, and private firms appear collectively content (crony capitalist clubs) to milk disease stakeholder groups, and society more broadly, and to funnel funds into fighting fire with fire (e.g. more chemicals and radiation, as treatments), rather than focusing on earnestly exploring meaningful, sustainable, and scientifically up to date integrative prevention and recovery strategies

It can seem premature, not to mention insensitive, to speculate as to the underlying factors in any given case as soon as we hear news of relevant illness but nevertheless I believe we should cautiously welcome related enquiries, like The Atlantic’s recent article, which at least beg the question. To me it is clear, as these stories and fresh victims of these diseases stack up by the day, that the time is now and that, if anything, this conversation is long overdue

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to mention animals, who are just as, and in some cases more, susceptible to the diseases/disease risk factors noted above! Relatively young/healthy pets are now developing both diseases, again like never before, which should be of additional concern to us all

News: Britain’s Got Talent winner Pudsey the dog dies after cancer battle

Can't think why old people diseases are becoming more common.

There are fewer under-16s today (even in raw numbers!) than back in what I presume was your day. There are now almost as many over-65s as under-16s. Combined with under-16s not being affected by measles, mumps, etc. thanks to vaccines, the wrinklies account for far more deaths than the youth, and that's why their diseases are most prevalent.

(Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Forgot to mention animals, who are just as, and in some cases more, susceptible to the diseases/disease risk factors noted above! Relatively young/healthy pets are now developing both diseases, again like never before, which should be of additional concern to us all

News: Britain’s Got Talent winner Pudsey the dog dies after cancer battle
    But animals are living to ages like never before!

News: Britain's Old Dog Charlie the dog still going strong at 23

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Can't think why old people diseases are becoming more common
    Unfortunately most of the graph you included accounts for periods in which (relatively modest) growth in 'old people diseases' does not cover the period under scrutiny, as per the OP (i.e. further back into the past, and also projected way beyond the present). As such, it is both inappropriate and misleading, unlike the following, which you may find instructive

ReputationRep:
    News: Jamestown K-9 officer loses battle with cancer

ReputationRep:
    But animals are living to ages like never before!
    Perhaps you're familiar with the concept of statistical outliers (and higher propensity for variance within relatively large samples), as well as lagged effects? Perhaps you'd also like to acknowledge the above post (as a matter of intellectual honesty and integrity) :yy:

(Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Perhaps you're familiar with the concept of statistical outliers (and higher propensity for variance within relatively large samples), as well as lagged effects? Perhaps you'd also like to acknowledge the above post (as a matter of intellectual honesty and integrity) :yy:
    That was my entire point. You provided a single case of a dog dying as evidence that animals were getting diseases 'like never before'...

ReputationRep:
    News: The Rolling Stones guitarist (Ronnie Wood) has opened up about his cancer scare, saying ‘by rights I shouldn’t be here’

ReputationRep:
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
    Karl Ernst von Baer

You provided a single case of a dog dying
    Not that post, this one

..as evidence that animals were getting diseases 'like never before'...
    Provided an example of a popular pawed icon to have succumbed to cancer. TSRians may find plenty of evidence from concerned vets and organisations with a quick google, along with studies/charts like this:

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the life expectancy also increasing? So more people live longer, meaning more people suffer diseases?

Also the fact that nowadays people don't seem to care about their health, with 1/3 of adults and 1/4 children (I think, correct me if my figures are wrong) being overweight or obese (a contributing factor to some cancers). People seem to live off processed foods with little to no exercise, and loads of people smoke too.

I agree with what you're saying, and it's kind of scary actually. I'm only 15 but I've noticed more and more people around me suffering with these diseased as I've grown up. In the past 5 years I've personally known 17 people who have had/do have cancer, whereas when I was 8 I knew 1 person with it.

ReputationRep:
    News: Tributes pour in for father and son first responders who died less than a year apart from 9/11-related cancer

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.