Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in a career in a pharmaceutical company when I'm older (the likes of pfizer or gsk). What is the differences between these two undergrad courses? and which would be best for me. Also to get an offer for one of these courses, what type of work experience should i be looking for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fiflan)
    I'm interested in a career in a pharmaceutical company when I'm older (the likes of pfizer or gsk). What is the differences between these two undergrad courses? and which would be best for me. Also to get an offer for one of these courses, what type of work experience should i be looking for?
    Hi!

I'm planning to apply to study Pharmacology so maybe I can help out a little?

I think ~ pharmaceutical science is more about how to make the drugs and calculating the break down of that drug through the body. Looking at some of the course structures it looks like you get to synthesise chemicals and there's a greater emphasis on drug design but I know UEA's Pharmacology course is actually called "Pharmacology and Drug Discovery" So there's definitely a lot of similarity. Both seem to cover similar biological topics.

But I know that pharmacology is the study of how the body and drug interacts, side effects, drugs metabolic pathways etc.

Looking on which universities website I think there are fewer universities that offer the pharmaceutical science degree but it's interesting 'cus there's no overlap of uni's offering both courses.

I doubt I'm being terribly helpful on that front but I think the best thing to do would be to go to a uni open day and ask the admissions tutor. For example at UCL loads of people were asking about the difference between medicinal chemistry and pharmacology and the admissions guy was saying that's a very good question to ask.

I imagine you should probably pay close attention to course structures if you're not sure and decide what topics you really want to cover in the course.

Small observation I'm gonna make (and I may be wrong) but I think there are more well known uni's offering Pharmacology - but I suppose you're gonna want to look at that teaching excellence framework they've brought in more. Idk, I ramble :P

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, you asked about work exp too. Which I've been struggling with too because I'm not really sure what they'd like to see either XD
    Work Experience I think will basically need to go on your personal statement and you'll want to be able to say how it relates to the course and what it has taught you about some aspect of what you want to learn, for example;

a Hospital, or maybe working with a charity that helps people with illnesses. Because you can explain how you actively want to help others or even that this has shown you the symptoms of illnesses first hand.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I wanted to do medicine at uni, so I thought I'd do work experience in a doctor's surgery as well as a nursing home. I slowly began to realise that medicine probably wasn't for me but by that time I'd already done the doctor's surgery work experience.

I was gonna take a gap year, actually see what A-Level results I would get and then decide in my own time what I wanted to do at uni. Luckily I still got results I was pleased with so I chose to do Pharmacology at Cardiff uni. I wrote out my personal statement, and luckily because I worked in the dispensary within the surgery as well as interacted with patients they liked my personal statement enough and accepted me with a grade lower than the typical offer (so I guess I had a good personal statement?).

Work experience isn't everything on a personal statement and I can only speak for pharmacology, but working in a chemist and chilling with doctor's on call outs seems a good enough shout.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.