Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

History of English Prime Ministers Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently listening to the podcast Presidential, it's a very interesting series on the history of the presidents of the United States. But listening to it got me thinking I hardly know a thing about the history of English prime ministers. In fact I know more about US presidents than our very own prime ministers. On the top of my head I can only name three prime ministers that are no longer alive - Churchill, Thatcher and Disraeli. At school I wasn't taught a single thing about our prime ministers (not even Churchill). Sure I was told about our Kings and Queens but it's like my teachers thought our prime ministers didn't matter. Is this still the case with our education system? Were / Are you taught about our prime ministers in school? Is the history of our prime ministers (except maybe Churchill) disregarded and if so why? Or is it just me? I think I need to read some books on our historic prime ministers - can anyone recommend any good books on the subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by day 481516)
    I'm currently listening to the podcast Presidential, it's a very interesting series on the history of the presidents of the United States. But listening to it got me thinking I hardly know a thing about the history of English prime ministers. In fact I know more about US presidents than our very own prime ministers. On the top of my head I can only name three prime ministers that are no longer alive - Churchill, Thatcher and Disraeli. At school I wasn't taught a single thing about our prime ministers (not even Churchill). Sure I was told about our Kings and Queens but it's like my teachers thought our prime ministers didn't matter. Is this still the case with our education system? Were / Are you taught about our prime ministers in school? Is the history of our prime ministers (except maybe Churchill) disregarded and if so why? Or is it just me? I think I need to read some books on our historic prime ministers - can anyone recommend any good books on the subject?
    Never been taught about any Prime Minister before Churchill/Atlee (but I know Cromwell + I know David Lloyd George) :/, I know all the Prime Ministers after Churchill because I once studied Modern Britain in AS History and I study Government and Politics A-Level.

I also know more presidents (I know all that came after Teddy Roosevelt and I know a few before him)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.