Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Acquintance randomly messages me to meet up... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a sort of acquintance come friend, whom I used to go to university with years go who will occassionally out of the blue make contact with me.

We weren't close initially, but got closer because he resided with me in a student house. We also used to argue alot because he was from a different walk of life to me (wealthy and incredibly pompous), lives down South in Home Counties and I'm quite down to earth and live up North.

I dropped out of my uni unfortunately and then later went to a different uni.

I had since met him on a few occassions, and travelled to see him to have a drink.

He even sent me a graduation card and urged that we should meet soon (that was 2yr ago).

He just randomly messages me for us to meet in a months time but i reply and he never responds. Like he will randomly message me but if and when I message him he never seems to have the time to respond.

i understand he leads a busy life but if he jas time to message me he has time to respond. I find it a bit weird. While at uni he used to **** me off a bit to his coursemates yet be really nice to me to face.

I dont get what he wants from me?

Do you find this to be selfish?

ReputationRep:
    Ask him why he wants to meet up. Then you pick the time and place. If he really wants to meet then he'll do it on your terms.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I get the impression that he contacts you when he's bored?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I get the impression that he contacts you when he's bored?
    Potentially, I don't know.

I mean, he's a nice guy, and has displayed friendly gestures, but he does tend to reply out of the blue, even though I reply very promptly, he mightn't not reply for days even though he's seen it.

Kind of annoying, as it feels only one way.

At uni we sort of fell out, and had lots of arguments it was very much a shallow friendship; we sort of used each other as sounding boards and kind of bonded over our differences.

As I was depressed, and we used to spend our time sat in kitchen drinking tea and discussing various things.

He could be really nice when he wanted too, but I often got pissed off because I always felt I was pulling out all the stops.

I wouldn't mind but the situation isnt all that black and white. Like for e.g., if he just didn't make any effort whatsover I'd get it. But he pops up out of the blue seemingly just asks me how im doing, and when he sent me that congrats card for graduating it seemed nice. As I hadn't heard for a while, and he must've seen it on facebook.

His actions and behaviour tend to conflict from time to time, is what I'm getting at. He also works hard in his graduate job and is busy a lot too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.