Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice on where to start no previous experience or qualifications Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So i was young n dumb i left school early, i attended 3 different colleges but it never lasted ive never had a job or any work experience .. clever me.
    Now im 20 ive just had a little boy n dead serious about getting somewhere with my life.. my dream job would be a make-up artist or working in a salon but ive got no idea where to start? Should i go back to college n do my GCSE's or get work experience or both? Is my best bet getting a job -.- but who would give me a job knowing ive achieved nothing.. any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue0121xo)
    So i was young n dumb i left school early, i attended 3 different colleges but it never lasted ive never had a job or any work experience .. clever me.
    Now im 20 ive just had a little boy n dead serious about getting somewhere with my life.. my dream job would be a make-up artist or working in a salon but ive got no idea where to start? Should i go back to college n do my GCSE's or get work experience or both? Is my best bet getting a job -.- but who would give me a job knowing ive achieved nothing.. any advice would be much appreciated thanks.
    If you want to be a MUA or beauty therapist you need to go to college. You need to decide which one is more important to you> or which one a career is more likely.

If you check with your local colleges they will be able to tell you if they have any spaces.

To work as a MUA or beauty therapist you have to have up to date certificates/kit/health and safety. The course will take you through all of it.

I don't know of any salon that takes on unqualified staff so I think that this is your best option.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue0121xo)
    To be honest with most careers, you would need to have been in education as employers have high expectations.

Also the reality of it all, you will be against at lot of people who have recently finished college and graduated from university...so no pressure for you there...

There are actually apprenticeships available to become a Make Up Artist - you will be getting experience AND paid too. :yes:
    However before getting into an apprenticeship you would need GCSE or equivalent Levels.
    As suggested, ask around at your local college, they should be able to give you advice and to see if they have any placements available.

In conclusion, education is always important as it is the foundation (no pun intended) of your career.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.