The Student Room Group

Speed

What is the distance from a to b a car has travelled at 60mph

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dennishodgson

what do you mean? is that all the information there is?
Reply 2

In what time?

[video="youtube;Qhm7-LEBznk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhm7-LEBznk[/video]
Original post by Doonesbury
In what time?

[video="youtube;Qhm7-LEBznk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhm7-LEBznk[/video]

The question is how long the divorce took after she saw the video.
Original post by study beats
what do you mean? is that all the information there is?

Sorry should have told you in 2 minutes, it is to work out if I was speeding accused of 60mph in a 40mph zone in a 2 minute episode by a works Sat Nav Tracker
Sorry should have told you in 2 minutes, it is to work out if I was speeding accused of 60mph in a 40mph zone in a 2 minute episode by a works Sat Nav Tracker

60mph is 60 miles per hour, so one mile per minute. Therefore, 2 minutes at 60mph is 2 miles. At 40mph, it'd be ~1.33 miles.

Sat Navs read your speed directly, so it's sort of futile trying to refute it.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Sat Navs read your speed directly, so it's sort of futile trying to refute it.

Thanks Woody but sat navs have to read correctly the distance between 2 points in my case it is not. Thanks anyhow
Reply 8

So were you doing 60mph in a 40mph zone for 2 mins?

Even doing 60 in a 40 for 2 secs could lead to points/ban.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/18773/speeding-fines-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-stricter-speeding-penalties

Band B : Disqualify 7 to 28 days or 4 to 6 points
Reply 9
Original post by RogerOxon
The question is how long the divorce took after she saw the video.

There's a Northern Irish version.

Has swearing...

Spoiler

60mph is 60 miles per hour, so one mile per minute. Therefore, 2 minutes at 60mph is 2 miles. At 40mph, it'd be ~1.33 miles.

Thanks Roger,
In my case they are telling me over a distance of A to B 1.038 km for 2 minutes my speed was 60mph.
You make it sound easy to work out ?? can you reassure me ??
So were you doing 60mph in a 40mph zone for 2 mins?

Even doing 60 in a 40 for 2 secs could lead to points/ban.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/18773/speeding-fines-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-stricter-speeding-penalties

Band B : Disqualify 7 to 28 days or 4 to 6 points

I agree if a speed camera or mobile speed camera recorded it
Thanks Woody but sat navs have to read correctly the distance between 2 points in my case it is not. Thanks anyhow

Yeah but it calculates it within seconds, shouldn't take 2 miles to get an accurate speed measurement.
Thanks Roger,
In my case they are telling me over a distance of A to B 1.038 km for 2 minutes my speed was 60mph.
You make it sound easy to work out ?? can you reassure me ??

Speed = distance / time, with the right units.

If it took you 2 minutes to travel 1.038km, then your average speed was 1.038*60/2 ~ 31km/h = 19.5mph. Are the numbers / units right?

Speed (mph) = distance (miles) / time (hours) = 60 * distance (miles) / time (minutes) = 3600 * distance (miles) / time (seconds)

Speed (km/h) = distance (km) / time (hours) = 60 * distance (km) / time (minutes) = 3600 * distance (km) / time (seconds)
(edited 6 years ago)
There's a Northern Irish version.

Has swearing...

Spoiler

Classic.
Speed = distance / time, with the right units.

If it took you 2 minutes to travel 1.038km, then your average speed was 1.038*60/2 ~ 31km/h = 19.5mph. Are the numbers / units right?

Speed (mph) = distance (miles) / time (hours) = 60 * distance (miles) / time (minutes) = 3600 * distance (miles) / time (seconds)

Speed (km/h) = distance (km) / time (hours) = 60 * distance (km) / time (minutes) = 3600 * distance (km) / time (seconds)

Thanks Roger,
Sorry I have not got the distance in miles, in km the distance between the speed limit signs is 1038km I can not see how I was doing 60mph for a full 2 mins maybe I peaked at 60mph for a matter of seconds, they say my average speed was 47mph could you work out the speed it woul take me to cover this distance i.e. slowest and quickest time??
The recording was at 0543 to 0545 I will have to go offline now but will lookout for your reply and thanks for all your help.
Reply 16
Thanks Roger,
Sorry I have not got the distance in miles, in km the distance between the speed limit signs is 1038km I can not see how I was doing 60mph for a full 2 mins maybe I peaked at 60mph for a matter of seconds, they say my average speed was 47mph could you work out the speed it woul take me to cover this distance i.e. slowest and quickest time??
The recording was at 0543 to 0545 I will have to go offline now but will lookout for your reply and thanks for all your help.

1038km... are you on the Trans Siberian Highway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
1038km... are you on the Trans Siberian Highway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My your quick if you read correctly it is 1. 038 !!
Thanks Roger,

If the times only include the minute (i.e. no seconds), there's going to be a lot of potential error on any calculation.

To travel 1.038km (~0.65 miles) should take just under a minute (59s) at 40mph. At 60mph, it would take 39s. At an average of 47mph, it would take 50s. If it took 2 complete minutes, then you would have been doing ~20mph.

It sounds like they (or the SatNav) have more accurate time measurements. Is it worth arguing how long you were at 60mph in a 40mph zone?
(edited 6 years ago)
If the times only include the minute (i.e. no seconds), there's going to be a lot of potential error on any calculation.

To travel 1.038km (~0.65 miles) should take just under a minute (59s) at 40mph. At 60mph, it would take 39s. If it took 2 complete minutes, then you would have been doing ~20mph.

It sounds like they (or the SatNav) have more accurate time measurements. Is it worth arguing how long you were at 60mph in a 40mph zone?

They do work in seconds every 10 secs, but the print out given to me is a full 2 minutes surely would you not dispute the figures given has it does say 60mph for 2 minutes I don't think I was only doing 20mph?? what would be the figures for 46mph as they give me a tolerance of 10% plus 2 miles an hour i.e. 46mph.
Not disputing I was over the 40mph limit but I need to get rid of the 60mph sorry to be a pain !!

Quick Reply

Latest