The Student Room Group

Ucas help !!!!!!!

For AS i took maths, fm, chemistry and psychology. However, i didnt complete the FM AS since i knew i wouldnt be taking it to alevel so did 1 unit of further maths and was planning to do the 2 other units in year 13. However, I have now decided I will not be continuing the 2 units to gain a further maths AS level. Therefore, I was wondering whether that one unit i sat should go on my ucas although I havent gained an AS qualification from it and will most probably be resitting it.

Any advice will much be appreciated,

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geeeeek
For AS i took maths, fm, chemistry and psychology. However, i didnt complete the FM AS since i knew i wouldnt be taking it to alevel so did 1 unit of further maths and was planning to do the 2 other units in year 13. However, I have now decided I will not be continuing the 2 units to gain a further maths AS level. Therefore, I was wondering whether that one unit i sat should go on my ucas although I havent gained an AS qualification from it and will most probably be resitting it.

Thank you

I'd recommend not putting it on your UCAS application until you have gained the qualification. UCAS have strict rules and can void you application if inaccurate information is given. So until you've resat the qualification, I'd not recommend it. Especially if you've not started year 13 yet, in which case. once you're 100% sure you're resitting and have the go ahead from teachers. Then you'd be able to put it as 'pending result' for your UCAS application.
Reply 2
Original post by srdavison123
I'd recommend not putting it on your UCAS application until you have gained the qualification. UCAS have strict rules and can void you application if inaccurate information is given. So until you've resat the qualification, I'd not recommend it. Especially if you've not started year 13 yet, in which case. once you're 100% sure you're resitting and have the go ahead from teachers. Then you'd be able to put it as 'pending result' for your UCAS application.

First and foremost Thank you for the reply. Does that mean only AS qualifications need to be put on my UCAS? also will they question why the result is pending, and will they be able to check which grade I have achieved. Moreover, what if I dont resit the module, will it have to go on my ucas?

Thank you very much
Original post by geeeeek
First and foremost Thank you for the reply. Does that mean only AS qualifications need to be put on my UCAS? also will they question why the result is pending, and will they be able to check which grade I have achieved. Moreover, what if I dont resit the module, will it have to go on my ucas?

Thank you very much

Have you completed year 13, or just starting it this year? If you're moving onto year 13, after results day on your UCAS application, you'd input all AS grades, but your further maths grade would be put as pending as long as you resit. (I just assumed this was your circumstance based on you only mentioning AS. If you have finished both years, then you'd put all A-Levels as pending as you'd get your results on results day and they'd be updated, I'm not sure in this scenario what you'd do if you plan to do another year doing further maths. Although, like I said, I'm just guessing here.
Reply 4
Original post by srdavison123
Have you completed year 13, or just starting it this year? If you're moving onto year 13, after results day on your UCAS application, you'd input all AS grades, but your further maths grade would be put as pending as long as you resit. (I just assumed this was your circumstance based on you only mentioning AS. If you have finished both years, then you'd put all A-Levels as pending as you'd get your results on results day and they'd be updated, I'm not sure in this scenario what you'd do if you plan to do another year doing further maths. Although, like I said, I'm just guessing here.

I have completed year 12 and am going into year 13 this september. I apply to uni in september so wouldnt have to enter my F.M AS grades if I plan to resit one unit im guessing?

I dont plan to continue further maths onto A level, i only took up further maths AS because i was required to do 4 subjects, but even then didnt complete it.

Will the unis be able to see my grade if i put it as pending? Thank you
Original post by geeeeek
I have completed year 12 and am going into year 13 this september. I apply to uni in september so wouldnt have to enter my F.M AS grades if I plan to resit one unit im guessing?

I dont plan to continue further maths onto A level, i only took up further maths AS because i was required to do 4 subjects, but even then didnt complete it.

Will the unis be able to see my grade if i put it as pending? Thank you

When you send off your UCAS application then you'll need to put AS further maths as pending, unless you resit and get a result before you send you application away (which I'm guessing is unlikely). UCAS will update this for you in August 2018. If you get a U in AS FM before resit, then you'd also need to put this on, although I'm assuming you wouldn't have gotten a grade since you missed out on units.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by geeeeek

Thank you
If you are definitely not going to complete the qualification, you do not enter the unit you did complete on your UCAS application, though why you are considering resitting it is beyond me. Either you are going to do AS FM or you aren't. If you have definitely decided you aren't, then the unit you have completed just lapses.

If however you are ever asked to declare all exams you have taken, then you must include this unit as well as all the ones contributing to qualifications you did complete.
Reply 7
Original post by geeeeek

Thank you very much

Don't put your chemistry or psychology AS grades on your application as you won't receive a qualification for them.
Reply 8
Original post by Minerva
If you are definitely not going to complete the qualification, you do not enter the unit you did complete on your UCAS application, though why you are considering resitting it is beyond me. Either you are going to do AS FM or you aren't. If you have definitely decided you aren't, then the unit you have completed just lapses.

If however you are ever asked to declare all exams you have taken, then you must include this unit as well as all the ones contributing to qualifications you did complete.

so I could decide to not resit that one unit and it won't affect my university offers or ucas? will ucas ever ask me to enter all my units I have sat even if I haven't gained a qualification?
Reply 9
Original post by Desmos
Don't put your chemistry or psychology AS grades on your application as you won't receive a qualification for them.

so my chemistry and psychology dont go on ucas? or it is just predictions that are entered in my ucas?

also will i have to enter one maths module i sat although it wont be contribute to AS?
Reply 10
Original post by geeeeek
so my chemistry and psychology dont go on ucas? or it is just predictions that are entered in my ucas?

also will i have to enter one maths module i sat although it wont be contribute to AS?

Put your AS maths, chem and psychology grades. Then put A2 Maths, chem and psychology as pending. If you're not doing FM AS don't put it on unless they ask for your exams rather than your qualifications.

This was edited to remove incorrect information.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Desmos

Original post by Desmos
Put your AS maths grade as that's a qualification in its own right. Then out A2 Maths, chem and psychology as pending. If you're not doing FM AS don't put it on unless they ask for your exams rather than your qualifications

Please stop giving advice that isn't accurate.

A linear AS exam must be declared.

A modular AS qualification must be declared if it has been certified.

A freestanding maths module that hasn't counted towards a certified AS level doesn't need to be declared.
Original post by geeeeek

Thank you

Declare your AS grades for maths, chem and psych

List A levels in maths, chem and psych as pending.

If you're resitting the FM module so that it will count towards your maths A level then list it under the A level as pending.
Reply 13
Original post by PQ
A linear AS exam must be declared.

Are you serious?! My head of year told me not to put my linear AS exams on my UCAS application except for the one I dropped.

But my application was fine and, if I remember correctly, they ask for your qualifications as opposed to just exams, but I might be wrong.:s-smilie:
Reply 14
Original post by PQ
Declare your AS grades for maths, chem and psych

List A levels in maths, chem and psych as pending.

If you're resitting the FM module so that it will count towards your maths A level then list it under the A level as pending.

ohhh thank you! So it is possible for my FP1 unit to count towards my maths alevel so I wouldn't have to take another unit next year to add to the ALEVEL maths?
Original post by Desmos
Are you serious?! My head of year told me not to put my linear AS exams on my UCAS application except for the one I dropped.

But my application was fine and, if I remember correctly, they ask for your qualifications as opposed to just exams, but I might be wrong.:s-smilie:

Yes we are, your school is b****g, and put everything down.
Original post by geeeeek
ohhh thank you! So it is possible for my FP1 unit to count towards my maths alevel so I wouldn't have to take another unit next year to add to the ALEVEL maths?

We can't tell you, ask in a separate thread in Maths.
Original post by Desmos

If you sat a linear A level exam and got a results slip from an exam board then you have an AS qualification in those subjects.

All qualifications must be declared.

Obviously some schools/colleges are clueless and give applicants terrible advice and most universities will be understanding about that so plenty of applicants get it wrong every year and get away with it....but there's always a small minority who don't.
Original post by geeeeek

You need to speak to your exams officer about that - it'll depend upon the exam board rules and your school policy.
Reply 18
Original post by PQ
If you sat a linear A level exam and got a results slip from an exam board then you have an AS qualification in those subjects.

I thought that the once you started the A2 you 'lost' your qualification for AS.

I was entered for two English GCSEs but only sat one and so I got an X in the other. Do I have a qualification of an X for that GCSE?
Original post by Desmos
I thought that the once you started the A2 you 'lost' your qualification for AS.

I was entered for two English GCSEs but only sat one and so I got an X in the other. Do I have a qualification of an X for that GCSE?

AS is separate on Tarrif, so it is independent. Sorry, I'm really lost on your GCSE grades for English, maybe ask UCAS themselves?

Quick Reply

Latest