Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice for getting into Cambridge (Computer Science) Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any advice for getting into Cambridge and Imperial College for computer science?? (I'm in S5, Scotland)
    Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AZ_1234)
    Does anyone have any advice for getting into Cambridge and Imperial College for computer science?? (I'm in S5, Scotland)
    Thanks
    Be on target to meet the stated entry requirements. Maths being the most important factor.

I understand Imperial often gives STEP based offers for CS. Cambridge only does that if you want to study the /with Maths option, but still maths is very important.

Have a look at the CSAT.
    https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/...missions-test/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Be on target to meet the stated entry requirements. Maths being the most important factor.

I understand Imperial often gives STEP based offers for CS. Cambridge only does that if you want to study the /with Maths option, but still maths is very important.

Have a look at the CSAT.
    https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/...missions-test/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What about Physics vs the newly reformed AQA Computer Science?

ReputationRep:
    Maths and physics at a level is a must to go into those unis. I would also do tons of extra curricular, go to a decent school, be a model student, getting involved in their activities and show you're extremely passionate about the course. Don't forget to also get a*s and as.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImprobableCacti)
    What about Physics vs the newly reformed AQA Computer Science?
    Which do you think you will get a better mark in? Physics is useful (and *slightly* preferred to CS A-level), but only if you do well in it.

Always check entry requirements. And look at specific colleges - they can vary slightly.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...y-requirements

ReputationRep:
    Which do you think you will get a better mark in? Physics is useful (and *slightly* preferred to CS A-level), but only if you do well in it.

Always check entry requirements. And look at specific colleges - they can vary slightly.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...y-requirements
    Thanks, I am probably going to keep all 4 (CS, Phys, Maths & F.Maths) and drop my EPQ, I will probably do equally as well in Physics and CS at A2 (predicted A*s). I'm just worried that my AS grade/ UMS will be lower in Physics due to me being under the impression that I would have to drop a subject at A2 (this is no longer the case).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I am probably going to keep all 4 (CS, Phys, Maths & F.Maths) and drop my EPQ, I will probably do equally as well in Physics and CS at A2 (predicted A*s). I'm just worried that my AS grade/ UMS will be lower in Physics due to me being under the impression that I would have to drop a subject at A2 (this is no longer the case).
    Are you sure you have UMS in your Physics? Which exam board?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have UMS in your Physics? Which exam board?
    I don't have it yet and I am assuming we get it on results day (it's reformed - I don't know if we still get UMS), my exam board is OCR Physics A.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I don't have it yet and I am assuming we get it on results day (it's reformed - I don't know if we still get UMS), my exam board is OCR Physics A.
    Reformed subjects (e.g. OCR Physics) don't have UMS (but they do have raw marks, which aren't the same and aren't comparable.)

ReputationRep:
    Reformed subjects (e.g. OCR Physics) don't have UMS (but they do have raw marks, which aren't the same and aren't comparable.)
    So does that mean that they won't be taken into account in my application? Just the grade? (hoping to still get an A in AS Physics)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    So does that mean that they won't be taken into account in my application? Just the grade? (hoping to still get an A in AS Physics)
    Cambridge doesn't collect raw marks (unlike UMS). Although some colleges might request it seperately.

It's not an issue eitherway. It's just one part of your application, along with the interview, CSAT, etc, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge doesn't collect raw marks (unlike UMS). Although some colleges might request it seperately.

It's not an issue eitherway. It's just one part of your application, along with the interview, CSAT, etc, etc.
    Thank you for the advice

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to calculate UMS for Scottish exams, or does it only work with English exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STEMasterRace)
    Does anyone know how to calculate UMS for Scottish exams, or does it only work with English exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    UMS isn't a thing for Highers. Why do you ask?

ReputationRep:
    UMS isn't a thing for Highers. Why do you ask?
    I was just wondering as there always seems to be a lot of talk about UMS in relation to Oxbridge (Cambridge especially). So would it be appropriate to make a comparison between UMS and percentages at higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering as there always seems to be a lot of talk about UMS in relation to Oxbridge (Cambridge especially). So would it be appropriate to make a comparison between UMS and percentages at higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No. Because Cambridge doesn't collect or use percentages for Highers (or IB for that matter).

ReputationRep:
    Ok Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No. Because Cambridge doesn't collect or use percentages for Highers (or IB for that matter).
    Do you reckon a B in a non relavant subject will affect my chances of getting in? (With A's in the rest of the subjects)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Do you reckon a B in a non relavant subject will affect my chances of getting in? (With A's in the rest of the subjects)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought you were somewhere studying Economics and Maths already?
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4748866

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought you were somewhere studying Economics and Maths already?
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4748866

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The pinnacle of trolling

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.