Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MSc and BSc courses at different universities (online) possible simultaneously? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have an idea of the implications when studying 2 different online courses at different universities (both in Scotland) at the same time?
    One leads to MSc (3 years) and the other to BSc (4 years), the subjects are not directly related but complement each other.
    The BSc is funded by SAAS. I guess the MSc tuition fees will not be funded... but will the MSc have an impact on funding for the BSc?

I couldn't find any information whatsoever... anybody got any experience in similar situation?

ReputationRep:
    Your best bet is probably to call Student Finance and ask. I think it's not a good idea though, to attempt both at the same time, even if it's allowed. The workload would be crazy. Do you not have to have a bachelor's degree to do the MSc anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schadenfreude65)
    Your best bet is probably to call Student Finance and ask. I think it's not a good idea though, to attempt both at the same time, even if it's allowed. The workload would be crazy. Do you not have to have a bachelor's degree to do the MSc anyway?
    I didn't want (yet) to call student finance in order not to wake sleeping dogs... wouldn't want to risk the funding for the BSc.

Since I have a professional (foreign) qualification which has been classed as equivalent to a Bachelor's degree by NARIC this has been deemed sufficient as an entry qualification for the MSc.
    And because the professional qualification is not a university degree albeit at the same level... I am entitled to the same funding (tuition fees) for the BSc as any other undergraduate student.
    This might be quite an unique situation

I am not so much worried about the workload... in the past I always could balance part-time work, bringing up children and running a farm at the same time so this is not the main problem.
    It's mainly that I am worried that funding for the BSc could be withdrawn if the MSc is studied at the same time in case they stop seeing me as an undergraduate.

ReputationRep:
    You won't even get funding for the BSc if you took it on its own, SFE are quite clued up when it comes to equivilant qualifications and will deem the qualification you already hold as 'same level study', which means they wont pay out.

If you neglect to tell them you have this qualification, then subsequently find out when you apply for the MSc, they will withdraw all funding immediately and issue you instant repayment demands I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    They got proof of this qualification for the BSc when I applied and this was my entry ticket to the course. Although it is equivalent to a BSc it is still a professional qualification and not a university degree. My old school exam results from ages ago would not have allowed me to study So the funding for the BSc is sorted without withholding any information.I simply worry that they could change their mind and all of a sudden decide if the other university accepts my professional qualification as if it actually WAS an undergraduate degree then they follow suit and tell me that they now also consider it to be such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patzel)
    They got proof of this qualification for the BSc when I applied and this was my entry ticket to the course. Although it is equivalent to a BSc it is still a professional qualification and not a university degree. My old school exam results from ages ago would not have allowed me to study So the funding for the BSc is sorted without withholding any information.I simply worry that they could change their mind and all of a sudden decide if the other university accepts my professional qualification as if it actually WAS an undergraduate degree then they follow suit and tell me that they now also consider it to be such.
    call up SFE and ask them. they can't withdraw money just because you're considering an MSc. It's the best and most reliable way to find out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.