Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why can't I stay awake? Watch

Announcements

Hi everyone, I've just finished my first year of university at Cambridge and have had problems staying awake throughout the whole year. I usually go to bed between 12 and 1 and wake up at around 8:20 in time for my 9am lecture, which seems to be enough for most of my peers. I sleep pretty deeply and solidly, although I do sometimes have nightmares just before I wake up. However I fall asleep in nearly every lecture as well as a good proportion of my supervisions, even when my supervisor is explaining something a couple of metres away from me. I also accidentally fall asleep on my notes in the library most days whilst studying. I've tried typing notes in order to keep myself occupied but I eventually get too tired to move my hands so they end up flopping on my laptop. Usually standing up and going for a walk to fill up my water bottle / go to the toilet / walk around college temporarily relieves my sleepiness, but on one particularly bad day I nodded off whilst standing up listening to practical instructions and accidentally fell on my friend behind me. It's not that I find my course boring - I also missed out on the majority of 2 garden parties in May Week because I spent most of the time I was there napping (that could be partly due to heat, but all my friends managed to stay awake ). There are some situations in which I can stay awake - under conditions of acute pressure (I can focus very well in exams) or if I am talking directly to someone (the falling asleep in supervisions usually happens when a supervisor is giving a long answer and I haven't spoken in a while). Am I just extremely lazy or is there something wrong with me? Does anyone have any suggestions for staying awake?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a good diet? Do you feel overworked? Maybe you need more exercise?

Also try going to sleep early and keep a rhythm/schedule so you go to bed at the same time and you wake up at the same time EVERY day (including weekends).

ReputationRep:
    Have you talked to your GP maybe its some kind of deficiency or stress related, whatever the reason is it might be useful anyway and give you tips and advice to increase your energy levels.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi everyone, I've just finished my first year of university at Cambridge and have had problems staying awake throughout the whole year. I usually go to bed between 12 and 1 and wake up at around 8:20 in time for my 9am lecture, which seems to be enough for most of my peers. I sleep pretty deeply and solidly, although I do sometimes have nightmares just before I wake up. However I fall asleep in nearly every lecture as well as a good proportion of my supervisions, even when my supervisor is explaining something a couple of metres away from me. I also accidentally fall asleep on my notes in the library most days whilst studying. I've tried typing notes in order to keep myself occupied but I eventually get too tired to move my hands so they end up flopping on my laptop. Usually standing up and going for a walk to fill up my water bottle / go to the toilet / walk around college temporarily relieves my sleepiness, but on one particularly bad day I nodded off whilst standing up listening to practical instructions and accidentally fell on my friend behind me. It's not that I find my course boring - I also missed out on the majority of 2 garden parties in May Week because I spent most of the time I was there napping (that could be partly due to heat, but all my friends managed to stay awake ). There are some situations in which I can stay awake - under conditions of acute pressure (I can focus very well in exams) or if I am talking directly to someone (the falling asleep in supervisions usually happens when a supervisor is giving a long answer and I haven't spoken in a while). Am I just extremely lazy or is there something wrong with me? Does anyone have any suggestions for staying awake?
    Worth seeing your doctor about it.
    There are a lot of potential reasons for tiredness/ fatigue and they are best suited to work out what's causing it in your case.

Before you go have a think about things like any change in diet, sleep pattern, daily activities etc. Also have a think about any other symptoms (headaches, sweating, farting, whatever). You would be surprised how many random things can be linked to the same issue.
    Also, mention if you are vegetarian, vegan etc. Certain diets lend themselves to vitamin deficiencies and one of the things they cause is tiredness.

You can also try getting some more sleep, and cutting down a bit on activities to see if it helps.

Lazy is not wanting to/ not being bothered to do something, fatigue is being too tired to even if you want to. You are not being lazy. This is a legitimate issue and something you should see a doctor for. Good luck
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Go to bed earlier. Even if it's 11.30pm.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.