Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I want to apply to UCL to study Information Management for Business BSc. However, the structure of the course is much different for 2017 and 2018. The 2018 course is Accredited as the Tech Partnership accredits IMB as a Tech Industry Gold degree.
    Therefore I don't know if I should take a gap year and take up 2018 course or the 2017. The modules are slightly different and I don't know if there will be a high difference in terms of future prospects. Or if there are any other ways to get into that course e.g. start a 2017 course and then transfer? If obviously that's possible. I'm looking for that course as they offer places for BTEC students, I have achieved a D*D*D (A*A*A). Unsure whether to take gap year or take up the 2017 start.

Thanks for your response.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adekm)
    Hey guys,

I want to apply to UCL to study Information Management for Business BSc. However, the structure of the course is much different for 2017 and 2018. The 2018 course is Accredited as the Tech Partnership accredits IMB as a Tech Industry Gold degree.
    Therefore I don't know if I should take a gap year and take up 2018 course or the 2017. The modules are slightly different and I don't know if there will be a high difference in terms of future prospects. Or if there are any other ways to get into that course e.g. start a 2017 course and then transfer? If obviously that's possible. I'm looking for that course as they offer places for BTEC students, I have achieved a D*D*D (A*A*A). Unsure whether to take gap year or take up the 2017 start.

Moved to the University College, London forum.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt some token accreditation is going to make a difference when its being offered by UCL in the first place. Unless that accreditation is require for you to achieve some further qualification (such as, idk, IEng or something) it's unlikely to make a difference. If you prefer the look of the modules for the latter programme though, by all means take a gap year, or apply for deferred entry.

ReputationRep:
    The 2018 degree benefits are as follow; (stated by the University website)

Co-created with leading employers such as Accenture, British Airways, IBM, Morgan Stanley and Unilever, the BSc/MSci in Information Management for Business (IMB) is designed to meet the needs of students and employers, equipping them to respond to the challenges of digital business transformation.

We aim to provide the highest quality management and technology education along with deep insights into managerial issues faced by technology-intensive organisations. You will gain an all-round knowledge of computer systems and how information is derived, managed and exploited for commercial benefit.

IMB encourages you to develop an entrepreneurial mindset - seeing business challenges as opportunities and linking cutting-edge technology with innovative business practices to create and capture value.

As a UCL School of Management student, you will benefit from a bespoke careers and employer engagement programme. IMB graduates go on to work with leading companies in the UK and internationally.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adekm)
    Hey guys,

Are you a 2017 offer holder?

If not you will be applying for entry in 2018 anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Are you a 2017 offer holder?

If not you will be applying for entry in 2018 anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No I'm not an offer holder. I know that UCL is not doing clearing. However, my grades were much better than predicted therefore I think I might be eligible for adjustment.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adekm)
    No I'm not an offer holder. I know that UCL is not doing clearing. However, my grades were much better than predicted therefore I think I might be eligible for adjustment.
    Have you exceeded your firm offer, not your predicted grades.

Ask UCL if they think the course will be available via Adjustment and, probably more importantly, do they guarantee accommodation to Adjustment applicants.

Also the 2017 course is described here:
    https://www.mgmt.ucl.ac.uk/imb
    and looks pretty similar to the 2018 version and also references the link to those employers and Tech Partnership.

Where does it say the course is "much different"?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.