Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Switching Student Bank Accounts? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I currently have a HSBC student account, for my first year i was given £300 for my overdraft instead of the £500 (and i dont know why). I have nearly finished my£300 overdraft and i wanted to extend it for my second year at university to £650 and it was refused . They didnt really say why. I checked my credit score and it came up with "good". I have gone over my overdraft limit a couple times but paid it off very quickly afterwards. Anyway, I have decided to switch bank accounts (and my mum has lent me money to pay off all debt in hsbc) because I havent had a very good experience with HSBC and really want to goto a student bank account that is a bit more easy to get overdrafts from. Does anybody know where i should go ?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisyfx)
    I currently have a HSBC student account, for my first year i was given £300 for my overdraft instead of the £500 (and i dont know why). I have nearly finished my£300 overdraft and i wanted to extend it for my second year at university to £650 and it was refused . They didnt really say why. I checked my credit score and it came up with "good". I have gone over my overdraft limit a couple times but paid it off very quickly afterwards. Anyway, I have decided to switch bank accounts (and my mum has lent me money to pay off all debt in hsbc) because I havent had a very good experience with HSBC and really want to goto a student bank account that is a bit more easy to get overdrafts from. Does anybody know where i should go ?
    The going over your overdraft and into unplanned twice in one year is quite likely to be the problem, missed payments dont do any good. You could go elsewhere but they might not let you start from their year 2 point.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This is something you should have researched when picking a student account in the first place, simply because of what claireestelle has said - banks typically only allow you to get a student bank account if you are in the first year of your degree.

ReputationRep:
    Santander have said that i can join there in my second year and I can have an overdraft of up to 1,500 .

ReputationRep:
    Santander have said that i can join there in my second year and I can have an overdraft of up to 1,500 .
    "Up to"
    It's likely to be lower.
    And saying you can join there while in your second year, doesn't mean you'll necessarily get the same treatment as a 2nd year that was with them from their 1st.
    It appears to me they've treated you fairly
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    "Up to"
    It's likely to be lower.
    And saying you can join there while in your second year, doesn't mean you'll necessarily get the same treatment as a 2nd year that was with them from their 1st.
    It appears to me they've treated you fairly
    Up to, but more guaranteed than any other bank right now. Whether that applies to latecomers, I don't know; last I checked, they didn't allow anyone post first year into their student account.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.