The Student Room Group

2018 entry medicine prospects?

So I took my UKCAT today and I came out with an average score of 692.5 but I got:
540 in VR (so annoyed about this)
670 in DM
810 in QR
750 in AR
and I got band 2 situational judgement

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions as to which would be the best medical schools to think about applying to based on my scores as I'm still very much in the dark about this😬

I also have 8A* and 4As at GCSE as well as 3 predicted A*s at A level, just for a bit of background☺️

Any thoughts/info would be appreciated!!
Reply 1
Your UKCAT seems high (PROVISIONALLY!!!!!) but obviously, it may be best to wait until final scores are released to make solid decisions.
Right now, it doesn't look like it'll hold you back anywhere, but definitely take caution if you were hoping to apply to Newcastle or Sheffield. Don't bother applying to Edinburgh at all, and most of the Scottish universities are UKCAT heavy regardless, so while your UKCAT seems very good you may want to take caution there as well, especially as an RUK applicant.
Reply 2
Original post by Gogregg
Your UKCAT seems high (PROVISIONALLY!!!!!) but obviously, it may be best to wait until final scores are released to make solid decisions.
Right now, it doesn't look like it'll hold you back anywhere, but definitely take caution if you were hoping to apply to Newcastle or Sheffield. Don't bother applying to Edinburgh at all, and most of the Scottish universities are UKCAT heavy regardless, so while your UKCAT seems very good you may want to take caution there as well, especially as an RUK applicant.

Thanks for the reply☺️

Okay, that's very interesting about the Scottish unis actually.

I was origionally thinking of applying to Newcastle as it's such a lovely uni with a great feel to it but like you say, there's not a lot of point in wasting a choice if they're quite UKCAT dependant😬
Original post by elliefay321
So I took my UKCAT today and I came out with an average score of 692.5 but I got:
540 in VR (so annoyed about this)
670 in DM
810 in QR
750 in AR
and I got band 2 situational judgement

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions as to which would be the best medical schools to think about applying to based on my scores as I'm still very much in the dark about this😬

I also have 8A* and 4As at GCSE as well as 3 predicted A*s at A level, just for a bit of background☺️

Any thoughts/info would be appreciated!!

Really, really good stats! I think your UKCAT score+ ( I'm sure a good PS) has made you eligible to apply for all medical schools👏👌good luck!!!
Reply 4
Original post by games211
Really, really good stats! I think your UKCAT score+ ( I'm sure a good PS) has made you eligible to apply for all medical schools👏👌good luck!!!

That's a very comforting thought😅- thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by elliefay321
Thanks for the reply☺️

Okay, that's very interesting about the Scottish unis actually.

I was origionally thinking of applying to Newcastle as it's such a lovely uni with a great feel to it but like you say, there's not a lot of point in wasting a choice if they're quite UKCAT dependant😬

It's usually more difficult for RUK appplicants to get to interview, just because of fewer places, but that tends to be offset with fewer applicants, but as I said, just don't bother applying to Edinburgh, I think you'll have a high score (dependent on what your As in GCSE are), but you need to have a very good score to get in, since so many apply since it's an amazing place, and it doesn't interview either.
Definitely look at all the websites to make sure you meet all criteria before even thinking about putting them down on UCAS.

Newcastle is possible, but I think look at past cut-offs, and when the deciles are released, compare your score. If you have any doubts, just don't bother, it is amazing, but you pretty much now if you'll get to interview before applying. Unless, of course, you're eligible for PARTNERS!

Also, don't apply to Oxford :h:
Other than that, you have so many options! Research the different unis, which course would you like, what location, are you willing to take the BMAT? Would you rather be in a specific region? You are not limited at all right now, and as long as you research correctly, there's no reason you can't get 4 interviews :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Gogregg
It's usually more difficult for RUK appplicants to get to interview, just because of fewer places, but that tends to be offset with fewer applicants, but as I said, just don't bother applying to Edinburgh, I think you'll have a high score (dependent on what your As in GCSE are), but you need to have a very good score to get in, since so many apply since it's an amazing place, and it doesn't interview either.
Definitely look at all the websites to make sure you meet all criteria before even thinking about putting them down on UCAS.

Newcastle is possible, but I think look at past cut-offs, and when the deciles are released, compare your score. If you have any doubts, just don't bother, it is amazing, but you pretty much now if you'll get to interview before applying. Unless, of course, you're eligible for PARTNERS!

Other than that, you have so many options! Research the different unis, which course would you like, what location, are you willing to take the BMAT? Would you rather be in a specific region? You are not limited at all right now, and as long as you research correctly, there's no reason you can't get 4 interviews :smile:

Ahh I see that makes sense I guess!! I'll have to spend a good few days on uni websites to look at my options then😋Thanks again!!!
Original post by Gogregg

What's the ukcat cut off for partners?
Reply 8
Original post by Hdheimdnbf
What's the ukcat cut off for partners?

It changes every year, but I'm not certain. I wasn't eligible so I didn't look into it too much.
Original post by Gogregg
It changes every year, but I'm not certain. I wasn't eligible so I didn't look into it too much.

It's okay I found out
Original post by Hdheimdnbf
It's okay I found out

What was it? If you don't mind me asking
Original post by Gogregg
What was it? If you don't mind me asking

Quick Reply

Latest