Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! So I'm really conflicted about this choice so I'm gonna need some help. Manchester is okay, it's a nice city and the course seems good. But I'm desperate to go to Greenwich and have been set on it for months. The only thing that's putting me off is the cost. I'm not a big spender but it's still a worry as money has been tight all my life.

I know you get more money for going to uni in London but is it really enough?

What are your thoughts on Manchester and London? Some first hand experience of both places and even the courses would be great!

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Jamie. D)
    Hey everyone! So I'm really conflicted about this choice so I'm gonna need some help. Manchester is okay, it's a nice city and the course seems good. But I'm desperate to go to Greenwich and have been set on it for months. The only thing that's putting me off is the cost. I'm not a big spender but it's still a worry as money has been tight all my life.

What are your thoughts on Manchester and London? Some first hand experience of both places and even the courses would be great!

Thanks
    I would always prefer Manchester University over Greenwich, but its your money.

If you have done a pros and con covering location, course content etc and Greenwich is where you want to study then go for it.

London is expensive, but if you can get somewhere (shouldnt be a problem with Greenwich as its not central) with an easy commute to Greenwich, then you can cut down on transport costs and cooking for yourself plus using supermarkets will keep costs down. If you havent done so already then you should visit both and that gives you a gut instinct n what the places are like.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is one of the best universities in the world. It has a great city, buzzing student campus and excellent activities.

I suggest that you go to Manchester. Don't cloud your judgement with London.

All the best.

ReputationRep:
    Stop being so stingy

doesn't get you anywhere in life

No point having dreams if you aren't willing to pay for them

ReputationRep:
    If you're desperate to go to a certain uni then theres your answer

Uni costs no matter where you go (unless you're in Scotland), don't let money matters put you off. Money can be made, regrets can't always be rectified though
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Hi Jamie!

That's great to hear that you are considering the University of Greenwich! We offer Graphic and Digital Design. This degree balances design creativity with contemporary technology. Allowing you to explore different media and develop skills in line with your own interests. The programme provides the creative skills and knowledge that prepares students for careers in the creative industries.

We know that money can be a worry at university so one of our final year students has given an insight into affording London Student Life:

"I also had concerns about moving to London for uni and I did quickly notice that the average costs for things were higher but you do get considerably more from your loan for living in London. If you budget well I believe you can live off just the loan but a lot of people, myself included, choose to get a job. The benefit of being in London is that there is a lot of part time work available but I would recommend working for the uni. The Student Ambassador scheme currently pays £12p/h and is flexible around your studies. I usually work for 10 hours a week during the term time and that has been the perfect supplement to my loan. I certainly wouldn't say I've ever missed out on anything for financial reasons. Hope that helps - Lizzie"

We hope that this helps to make your decision!

Katie :rave:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Art/Design University
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I would always prefer Manchester University over Greenwich, but its your money.

If you have done a pros and con covering location, course content etc and Greenwich is where you want to study then go for it.

London is expensive, but if you can get somewhere (shouldnt be a problem with Greenwich as its not central) with an easy commute to Greenwich, then you can cut down on transport costs and cooking for yourself plus using supermarkets will keep costs down. If you havent done so already then you should visit both and that gives you a gut instinct n what the places are like.
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    Manchester is one of the best universities in the world. It has a great city, buzzing student campus and excellent activities.

I suggest that you go to Manchester. Don't cloud your judgement with London.

All the best.
    Manchester university doesn't offer art and design courses (aside from architecture). Manchester School of Art is part of Man Met.
    http://www.art.mmu.ac.uk/
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    https://www.fifteendesign.co.uk/info...ression-embed/
    London is the main place for graphic design employment - if you like the university then Greenwich is probably the best option. You'll get a larger loan and should be able to find well paid work contracting or similar while you study.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by PQ)
    Manchester university doesn't offer art and design courses (aside from architecture). Manchester School of Art is part of Man Met.
    http://www.art.mmu.ac.uk/
    Thanks it was at the back of my mind at the time, but probably a bit slack on relying on the OP to explain fully. Doesnt appear they bothered to come back anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.