Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jobs Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have been working in various roles for over 15 years in all sectors and have experienced intense racism within a lot of the companies and so have been very cautious when applying for future jobs. After being one for 3 years , i was made redundant . I soon found a job with a law firm and suffered bullying and lies made by a manager within a week . I quickly decided that the role was not for me and resigned. I found another job soon after - again.. The company only had 2% of employees that where of ethnic minority and again i was soon to become a victim of a start of bullying. The girl in particular was very popular within the company and very good at her job which meant she was easily manipulative when it came down to the managers . I was soon fired . My question in moving forward. I do not want to put these companies on my CV , but concerned that on my P45 it will show the details of the companies which meant it will give my future employer information to contact these employers. The manager at the law firm made up a big lie about me and i mentioned this in my resignation letter. Please advise
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charmaine45th)
    You don't show your P45 to anyone until the joining process which is well after an offer is made. Even then, the recruitment decision is made by the hiring manager and the process is managed by HR and it's a payroll clerk that checks the P45. So what it says on your P45 is highly unlikely to get back to the hiring manager and anyway is disclosed well after the decision to offer you a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You don't show your P45 to anyone until the joining process which is well after an offer is made. Even then, the recruitment decision is made by the hiring manager and the process is managed by HR and it's a payroll clerk that checks the P45. So what it says on your P45 is highly unlikely to get back to the hiring manager and anyway is disclosed well after the decision to offer you a job.
    Hi, you said " anyway is disclosed well after the decision to offer you a job"? Sorry but i am kinda confused. I was in a job just two weeks and filled out a form (p45) as few days after i was given the job and just two days ago i was asked to sign another( she claimed HR lost it ) Anyways , it came a few days before i was fired , so my concern was maybe on the form , the company could call up the tax office to ask wwhat my previous job was .. i know its a long stretch , but companies would go to made lengths especially when they sense that you may not like the job as much as they thought you would
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charmaine45th)
    Hi, you said " anyway is disclosed well after the decision to offer you a job"? Sorry but i am kinda confused. I was in a job just two weeks and filled out a form (p45) as few days after i was given the job and just two days ago i was asked to sign another( she claimed HR lost it ) Anyways , it came a few days before i was fired , so my concern was maybe on the form , the company could call up the tax office to ask wwhat my previous job was .. i know its a long stretch , but companies would go to made lengths especially when they sense that you may not like the job as much as they thought you would

You were offered the job by a hiring manager, HR processed the paperwork and then you turned up at the company, then you showed a payroll clerk your P45. The payroll clerk probably doesn't even know who the hiring manager is. it was nothing to do with your firing, if that's what you think.

No company is going to 'ring the tax office' to ask what your previous job was. HMRC wouldn't tell them anyway. Don't get paranoid, it isn't a conspiracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You were offered the job by a hiring manager, HR processed the paperwork and then you turned up at the company, then you showed a payroll clerk your P45. The payroll clerk probably doesn't even know who the hiring manager is. it was nothing to do with your firing, if that's what you think.

No company is going to 'ring the tax office' to ask what your previous job was. HMRC wouldn't tell them anyway. Don't get paranoid, it isn't a conspiracy.
    Thanks..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.