Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

failing history gcse Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    my gcse in this year yr10. starting yr10 in September 2017 and exam is 2018 may. emergency revision tips plz! im doing COLD WAR, HENRY VIII AND HIS MONASTERIES AND NAZI GERMANY

ReputationRep:
    yeah i did 100% of paper 1 history in the morning by memorizing 200 flashcards i made the night before and then for the second paper it was even worse when i did the memorizing about an hour before. but the good thing is that my teacher went through how to answer the questions.

just make sure you get the content done and memorized like key dates & their effects and then the exam technique (i did old spec so idk if i can be helpful)

we'll see how badly i failed history gcse on august 24th but you've got plenty of time to get it all done, don't worry just work hard unlike i did and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pastelsloth)
    yeah i did 100% of paper 1 history in the morning by memorizing 200 flashcards i made the night before and then for the second paper it was even worse when i did the memorizing about an hour before. but the good thing is that my teacher went through how to answer the questions.

just make sure you get the content done and memorized like key dates & their effects and then the exam technique (i did old spec so idk if i can be helpful)

we'll see how badly i failed history gcse on august 24th but you've got plenty of time to get it all done, don't worry just work hard unlike i did and you'll be fine.
    Lol how did u revise 200 FLASHCARDS?! Ur amazing, hopefully you will do well!

ReputationRep:
    I got 100% in Paper 2 and an A* overall, without doing ANY content revision. All I did was memorise every date in the textbook (seriously, all three textbooks) and ensured that I used one date in every point that I made to "back things up".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_ambitious)
    Lol how did u revise 200 FLASHCARDS?! Ur amazing, hopefully you will do well!
    oh yeah i used quizlet's learn mode on the iphone app!! it was actually 165 but bc of a typo i put 200 instead of 100 though 165 is closer to 200...and i wouldn't recommend it but i woke up at 5AM finished at 7:30 (it was hell)

but thank you!! i don't think it's possible for me to get that A grade that my targets at but maybe i could get lucky? i could post my result here like next month when you forget you made this thread :lol: idkk i cant wait another month but yeah i hope you do well in 2018 then!!
    • Welcome Squad

my gcse in this year yr10. starting yr10 in september 2017 and exam is 2018 may. emergency revision tips plz!
    hm well it's been a while but for GCSE (any level really tbh) i would advise making your own revision notes, especially on the things you aren't too sure about. For me at the time it was the sudetenland crisis which seemed like the most complicated thing ever so i went on some websites like bitesize and john d'clare (a very good history revision website) and plotted a timeline of the events. Doing stuff like that really helps out iron out some confusion. Oddly considering it is history, learn some geography. I mean in terms of maps and stuff, learn where places are and this helps when thinking about how one thing affects the other, for instance the Balkans, Germany and Austria etc. Write out statistics and dates and cover them with your hand and try recalling them, history isn't at all just about stats and dates but a couple of accurate ones help support your argument

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    I got 100% in Paper 2 and an A* overall, without doing ANY content revision. All I did was memorise every date in the textbook (seriously, all three textbooks) and ensured that I used one date in every point that I made to "back things up".
    yo, what???????? hows that possible?/?////??? i did the date memorization thing but like,,, 100%? what topics and exam board did u do bc good job seriously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pastelsloth)
    yo, what???????? hows that possible?/?////??? i did the date memorization thing but like,,, 100%? what topics and exam board did u do bc good job seriously
    This was in 2015 and I did Edexcel History B (Schools History Project).

Paper 1 was Crime and Punishment from Romans to Present Day
    Paper 2 was a depth study on the American West
    Paper 3 was about "Protest". The paper could have been on EITHER a) Poll Tax Protests b) The Suffragette Movement c) Miner's Strike. We didn't know what topic it was until we opened the paper, so we had tor revise for all three.

ReputationRep:
    my gcse in this year yr10. starting yr10 in September 2017 and exam is 2018 may. emergency revision tips plz! im doing COLD WAR, HENRY VIII AND HIS MONASTERIES AND NAZI GERMANY
    I did GCSE History a few years ago and got A* one of my modules was Cold War (topics like Yalta,Potsdam,Arms race, Berlin Airlift,Blockade etc. also Vietnam and Cuba)

I got over 95% on the Cold War paper

I might be able to help a bit with Henry VIII buts its not my expertise yet

I did OCR B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    I did GCSE History a few years ago and got A* one of my modules was Cold War (topics like Yalta,Potsdam,Arms race, Berlin Airlift,Blockade etc. also Vietnam and Cuba)

I got over 95% on the Cold War paper

I might be able to help a bit with Henry VIII buts its not my expertise yet

I did OCR B
    Thanks that would be AMAZING and well done on your exam. Im doing edexel btw

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that would be AMAZING and well done on your exam. Im doing edexel btw
    Thanks just feel free to pm me anything you are struggling with and i will give you advice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.