Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Choosing Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what to take for GCSEs and I have to choose this year, we have to take 3 sciences, English, maths, rs and a language (I'm choosing French) and we have to choose three other options; out of computing, dt, art, music, drama, history, geography or I could take Spanish as well. I know I am definitely taking art and history but what should I choose for my third option (not allowed to take dt and art together)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzhx)
    I'm not sure what to take for GCSEs and I have to choose this year, we have to take 3 sciences, English, maths, rs and a language (I'm choosing French) and we have to choose three other options; out of computing, dt, art, music, drama, history, geography or I could take Spanish as well. I know I am definitely taking art and history but what should I choose for my third option (not allowed to take dt and art together)?
    It really just depends on what subjects you enjoy, personally, i was never very good at artistic subjects like art and music so i never took them and i always loved history and languages so i took them. I would also say that a few of my friends took art thinking that it would be light relief from their academic subjects but in actual fact their artistic subjects ended up taking up more time!

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs doesnt matter as much, take the ones that will give you the best grades possible.
    Third I would take history, geography or drama.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzhx)
    First of all, are any of the option subjects ones that you particulary enjoy/are good at/could see yourself doing in the future (eg. at A-level)?

I would say that if you are already doing French and you aren't that keen on languages then don't do Spanish, however if languages really interest you, then doing two may be really helpful after you have completed GCSEs.

I have just finished year 11 and most of the people that I knew who did computing found it really hard (although some of them still did enjoy), however those people who are computer wizzes (who love computers, spend their free time coding and who will almost certainly go into a career in the subject) really enjoyed it.

For music, certainly with the A-G GCSE (I'm not sure about 9-1), you needed to be really good at a particular instrument in order to do well in the coursework. In drama it's important to note that it is very essay based, as many students take it thinking that they will be acting 24/7 which just isn't the case (although obviously it does involve acting, just a lot of writing as well).

I didn't do geography, I did history instead (and loved it), but if you like geography at the moment then I would advise you find out the exam board that your school use for geography, and read through the specification to see if you think it would interest you.

In fact, if you are really struggling then I would look at the specifications for the ones you are considering, read them through and ask yourself questions like 'do I think I will enjoy this?', 'will I want to take this subject further?' etc.

I hope this is helpful & good luck!

(any opinions given are not facts, just what I have been told by people in my year)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, hope you are well.
    I would take computing but it's really up to you.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou to all the replies, I really enjoy art and I quite like the creative sides of jobs. The art jobs which particularly stand out to me require IT experience so I was considering taking computing, however I don't really enjoy computing that much so I don't know if it would be a good choice to make. Any thoughts? For my third option I am considering drama, geography or computing at the moment

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.