Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PayPal Case/Claim Watch

ReputationRep:
    Need help/opinions on a PayPal claim in muddled up in. If you have dealt with one before or scammers in general I could use your help.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What's happened? You need to give more information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    What's happened? You need to give more information.
    Someone is trying it,

They bought a bag off me, told me their mate is using their PayPal to pay.

Sent parcel to a different address than what was on their PayPal payment (they asked me to post to different address). When it arrived I get a email from the person who payed via PayPal, telling me why haven't the 'shoes' arrived and they will get PayPal involved.

So I'm not sure what my options are. Obviously trying to scam me in telling me that the parcel hasn't arrived to the 'proper' address even though I have posted it to the address requested.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roarok)
    Someone is trying it,

They bought a bag off me, told me their mate is using their PayPal to pay.

Sent parcel to a different address than what was on their PayPal payment (they asked me to post to different address). When it arrived I get a email from the person who payed via PayPal, telling me why haven't the 'shoes' arrived and they will get PayPal involved.

So I'm not sure what my options are. Obviously trying to scam me in telling me that the parcel hasn't arrived to the 'proper' address even though I have posted it to the address requested.
    Do you have copies of the messages, and a postage receipt?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have copies of the messages, and a postage receipt?
    Yes, the message were sent on another platform, but I have them and proof of postage. I read though if you sent it to a different address than the one on the PayPal transaction you're not protected. But on the other hand it's fraud either way. Not sure how involved / engaged the police would get.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the message were sent on another platform, but I have them and proof of postage. I read though if you sent it to a different address than the one on the PayPal transaction you're not protected. But on the other hand it's fraud either way. Not sure how involved / engaged the police would get.
    If they asked it to be delivered to a different address, and you've got evidence of that, you shouldn't have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Is this official? He could say he knows nothing of the messages from the other person telling me to send it to another address surely and PayPal would believe him I was thinking of sending a empty box to the actual address, play the scammers game in a way.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Is this official? He could say he knows nothing of the messages from the other person telling me to send it to another address surely and PayPal would believe him I was thinking of sending a empty box to the actual address, play the scammers game in a way.
    Where did the messaging take place?

ReputationRep:
    Just provide evidence that they told you to send to another address. Although I've read before that although having proof of posting, doesn't necessary mean it's proof that it 'arrived' unless there was tracking..and therefore they could still win the case.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly sure you lose all seller protection if you send something using an address that isn't the one given to PayPal. Did you sell it on eBay? Someone tried to pull a fast one on me recently on eBay and asked me to post something to a "work" address, so I just cancelled the transaction and refunded the money.

"A key eligibility requirement of the Seller Protection Programme is that, for tangible items, the seller must post the item to the address which appears on the transaction details page. If the item is delivered in person or if a seller posts the item to a different address (for example, if the buyer asks that you send to another address on the basis that it is a “work address” or a “gift” address) then you will not be eligible for re-imbursement under the terms of the programme."

SOURCE: https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/u...locale.x=en_GB

ReputationRep:
    I think you're right, so ill have to play the game I guess. He obviously knew what he was doing when he asked me to send it to another address, I've done it before but that's because it was genuine; never knew it was an area for scamming.

ReputationRep:
    Where did the messaging take place?
    Another selling app, although PayPal won't be able to take it as gospel as they could have been forged.

As I'm no longer protected by PayPal it seems I'll have to think up a solution.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.