Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

really worried about my little brother (SATS year 6) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    okay so my little brother just finished year 6 and today when picking him and other members of my family up from school I started asking him about his SATs.

He got 97 and 99 respectively for reading and Maths with 100 for SPaG and "working towards" for something else, I can't remember what it was.

So under 100 is below national expectancy for most 11 year olds, but I read that 47% of 11 year old's this year failed to get over 100 for reading, writing and SPaG, so I'm unsure whether to be really stressed out for him (which I am) or not since they seem to have been quite hard?
    I've got my A Level year 13 results in 3 or 4 weeks and I'm genuinely more stressed about him than myself.

Should I be tutoring him this summer before I go uni or should I let him enjoy his summer without work?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzakalinle)
    okay so my little brother just finished year 6 and today when picking him and other members of my family up from school I started asking him about his SATs.

He got 97 and 99 respectively for reading and Maths with 100 for SPaG and "working towards" for something else, I can't remember what it was.

So under 100 is below national expectancy for most 11 year olds, but I read that 47% of 11 year old's this year failed to get over 100 for reading, writing and SPaG, so I'm unsure whether to be really stressed out for him (which I am) or not since they seem to have been quite hard?
    I've got my A Level year 13 results in 3 or 4 weeks and I'm genuinely more stressed about him than myself.

Should I be tutoring him this summer before I go uni or should I let him enjoy his summer without work?
    It sounds like your brother is marginally below average academically but this doesn't look like anything you need to be concerned about. He is not wildly adrift of his peers and he has plenty of time left to make progress!

ReputationRep:
    He may just not have tried very hard. What are his results like in general? Honestly, you have enough to stress about at the minute!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    He may just not have tried very hard. What are his results like in general? Honestly, you have enough to stress about at the minute!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah I never really say him revising that much tbh, I haven't had time to focus on what his general results are since I've had to be preparing for mocks/exams etc over the last year.
    Thanks for the response

ReputationRep:
    I never revised when I was 11!!! And I did alright in my SATs.
    Honestly, you're only 11 once, let the kid enjoy his summer. He has plenty of time to catch up with his peers.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    He's a young kid, holy ****, let him enjoy his childhood until the dark despair of the adult world sucks him in and destroys all sense of happiness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    He's a young kid, holy ****, let him enjoy his childhood until the dark despair of the adult world sucks him in and destroys all sense of happiness.
    sorry for caring about my little brother
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzakalinle)
    sorry for caring about my little brother
    Hey, I have a little brother too. I'm going into my final year at uni, he's into his final year of GCSEs. I care about him, I encourage him - but that is different. It's his GCSEs, which are important. Your brother is 11, and just did SATs. He's an innocent kid. Let him enjoy his summer, don't force him into studying or tutoring. You can be encouraging, but in no way force it. He will hate it.

ReputationRep:
    Let him enjoy his summer. My sister did her SATs this year too.

SATs are more of a reflection of the school/teachers rather than the pupil. Secondary school and A-Levels are much more important!

It's good to care about your younger siblings though!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about his scores.

This is another thing Gove did to mess up the education system in the country. SATs scores don't really mean anything. Secondary schools tend to set them through their own tests (possibly CATs) in year 7 anyway.

As you probably know, he's got around half marks for maths, reading and SPaG. The other would be writing. Their are parents out there who really push their children to score around 100% - I've had some in the classes I've taught, one as low as year 1! So with him not revising outside of school (which is fine for SATs) he was going to have a slight, meaningless, disadvantage.

If you want to help him with some work that he's stuck on feel free (don't be too pushy though; it is the summer holidays); it shouldn't be anything for you to worry about though. You sound like quite a caring sibling which is nice to see! Good luck with your results.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.