Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I did bad in my AS, can I improve? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This year I did my AS exams and achieved a C in Economics and a D in Physics and I'm predicting that I will get a C or below in my maths ( I got my econ and physics back early because they were internal exams). I want to do Accounting and Finance at a good university for which I will probably need AAB at A2. I know that I will probably have to take a gap year to get to my desired university. It seems that I'm being over ambitious but I know I'm capable because I got A's in these subjects at GCSE with minimal revision. I know the problem with me is that I just don't do enough work but after years of consistently disappointing myself, I have started to believe that I can't change. Whenever I do bad in exams I tell myself that I will change but that change never comes and I end up exactly where I was before. I don't know if this is just a mental block or if I genuinely don't have it in me to work hard enough. I'm posting this article to see if there is anyone who felt like me after their AS results but managed to do well in second year, although I'd also really appreciate any advice or the thoughts of other's in the same circumstance.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingofthenorth)
    This year I did my AS exams and achieved a C in Economics and a D in Physics and I'm predicting that I will get a C or below in my maths ( I got my econ and physics back early because they were internal exams). I want to do Accounting and Finance at a good university for which I will probably need AAB at A2. I know that I will probably have to take a gap year to get to my desired university. It seems that I'm being over ambitious but I know I'm capable because I got A's in these subjects at GCSE with minimal revision. I know the problem with me is that I just don't do enough work but after years of consistently disappointing myself, I have started to believe that I can't change. Whenever I do bad in exams I tell myself that I will change but that change never comes and I end up exactly where I was before. I don't know if this is just a mental block or if I genuinely don't have it in me to work hard enough. I'm posting this article to see if there is anyone who felt like me after their AS results but managed to do well in second year, although I'd also really appreciate any advice or the thoughts of other's in the same circumstance.

Thank you
    For starters be realistic with what you can achieve.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting my maths AS result this summer. An A is ideal but a B is realistic ATM...

Like the other poster said, be realistic with your goals as you'll be constantly disappointed with your results because you're aiming too high.

Break down your goals into smaller chunks. Create a timetable at the beginning of September. Start revising early. Turn up to all classes. Just get your head down and o the work!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am in a similar position.
    I'm currently in year 13, in AS I got BBCE I wasn't very happy and consequently, it didn't go too well, c'est la vie.
    I need AAB to get into my university for Japanese and Geography, it;s the only combination like this in the country and naturally I desire it very much. This year I worked so much harder, I became happier and I anticipate at the very least it's gone much better than last year.

I'm not sure whether it's possible for you to make up the grades, but I'll just tell you how much is possible with the right mindset and pure hard work. My advice is at least try, if you want something enough you'll at least try your best.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingofthenorth)

Thank you
    My teachers always taught me that on average students improve by two grades from AS to A2 ad most AS content is relevant to A2 now with the changes to A-level courses. With the extra year of learning after your year of just starting out, there is no reason to worry. As long as you put the effort in there is no reason as to why you can't improve!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.