Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have a conditional offer to study an English literature course and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the first year modules are like? Any details of modules you have studied, books read, enjoyment, difficulty, etc

Is the reading manageable? How many books on average do you read per week for example?

Thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm going into my third year. First year may seem a bit of a shock but it will do wherever you go - it's a whole new experience! I found that it started slowly, and it after a week or so of introductions, it does pick up the pace quite quickly. You'll be sitting three modules in Semester 1, and three in Semester 2. One module in each semester is a double module, so technically it is double the work and double the weighting.

I'm not sure if these modules have changed now, but in Semester 1 I studied Narrative and Culture, Old English and Poetic Language. Narrative and Culture was quite good fun, but it was a novel a week so if you're a slow reader, I'd recommend starting the reading as soon as you know your place has been confirmed (I think the reading list is on the website). Poetic Language was fairly harmless and quite enjoyable, and I personally felt that was a much lighter workload but it depends on how easily you pick it all up. I didn't feel it was much different from A Level but of course it did build up a bit further. Old English was horrendous - you can either do it or you can't. The tutors are helpful, but if you struggle with the concept of learning modern languages and their construction, you'll probably struggle with this too. I certainly did struggle, and have always been awful at MFL, but as long as you hit the pass mark at 40 you'll be fine (I was awful and finished on 55). Collectively, most people I know hated the module.

Semester 2 was mixed. The horrendous and difficult module of the semester was Critical Theory. It is complex, and the reading is quite long and difficult, but it is satisfying getting the hang of it and many of the theories are quite interesting. Again this is the double module, and it usually focuses on one theorist per week and perhaps one or two pieces of their work. Critical Theory is a module that definitely can't be blagged, put it that way (tutors will know when you're talking BS, haha). Literary Transformations was quite good, and if you ever studied Classics it'll be a breeze. I didn't and I still did well, and the tutors made it interesting, even if you hate The Odyssey and The Aeneid. Personally, the best module for me was Stage and Screen - a mix of films and theatre. It was relatively straightforward and was engaging and interesting, but I guess it all depends on personal preference.

The rigidity of first year is annoying, but as soon as you branch into your second and third years, you have free reign over ALL your module choices which is a perk - Southampton is fab for this. You have to adhere to fulfilling Band Requirements (i.e making sure you have a well-rounded degree in all ages of Literature), but there is still loads of freedom.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moobag)
    Hi!

I'm going into my third year. First year may seem a bit of a shock but it will do wherever you go - it's a whole new experience! I found that it started slowly, and it after a week or so of introductions, it does pick up the pace quite quickly. You'll be sitting three modules in Semester 1, and three in Semester 2. One module in each semester is a double module, so technically it is double the work and double the weighting.

I'm not sure if these modules have changed now, but in Semester 1 I studied Narrative and Culture, Old English and Poetic Language. Narrative and Culture was quite good fun, but it was a novel a week so if you're a slow reader, I'd recommend starting the reading as soon as you know your place has been confirmed (I think the reading list is on the website). Poetic Language was fairly harmless and quite enjoyable, and I personally felt that was a much lighter workload but it depends on how easily you pick it all up. I didn't feel it was much different from A Level but of course it did build up a bit further. Old English was horrendous - you can either do it or you can't. The tutors are helpful, but if you struggle with the concept of learning modern languages and their construction, you'll probably struggle with this too. I certainly did struggle, and have always been awful at MFL, but as long as you hit the pass mark at 40 you'll be fine (I was awful and finished on 55). Collectively, most people I know hated the module.

Semester 2 was mixed. The horrendous and difficult module of the semester was Critical Theory. It is complex, and the reading is quite long and difficult, but it is satisfying getting the hang of it and many of the theories are quite interesting. Again this is the double module, and it usually focuses on one theorist per week and perhaps one or two pieces of their work. Critical Theory is a module that definitely can't be blagged, put it that way (tutors will know when you're talking BS, haha). Literary Transformations was quite good, and if you ever studied Classics it'll be a breeze. I didn't and I still did well, and the tutors made it interesting, even if you hate The Odyssey and The Aeneid. Personally, the best module for me was Stage and Screen - a mix of films and theatre. It was relatively straightforward and was engaging and interesting, but I guess it all depends on personal preference.

The rigidity of first year is annoying, but as soon as you branch into your second and third years, you have free reign over ALL your module choices which is a perk - Southampton is fab for this. You have to adhere to fulfilling Band Requirements (i.e making sure you have a well-rounded degree in all ages of Literature), but there is still loads of freedom.

Hope that helps!
    Hi,

Thank you for such an in depth reply! This is all really helpful information

Like you mentioned, I am concerned about the rigidity of first year and whether I will enjoy it. Looking at the course online, I love the look of the modules in second and third year, but I am concerned about the first year (especially the Old English module which sounds daunting!)

Do you study a wide range of texts in the first year? In terms of genre, literary periods, etc. Any examples of texts you studied would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all your help xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.