The Student Room Group

Degree Classification, Confused.com

I am trying to help some out work their degree classification, however I am confused.com.

My university is much simpler in terms that, last 3 modules in the last year or best 7 modules average in the last two years.

Wolverhampton University on the other hand, is completely confusing to understand.

Please help ?

Their grades are;

Second Year;

Third Year;
0 (Awaiting Result.

Any chance someone can help me figure it out please, as I would like to help them find out what they have got.

As far as I have understood it, '180 Level 5 and Level 6 credits; at least 100 credits must be at level 6.'

That would give them so far an average of '57.1%'. Which is a Upper/Lower Second border range', '57.01% to 59.99%'.

First is; 70-100
First/Upper Second is 67.01-69.99
Upper Second is 60-67
Upper/Lower Second is 57.01-59.99

Is that a 2.2?

Thank you sincerely.
Original post by Extreme Nooba
I am trying to help some out work their degree classification, however I am confused.com.

My university is much simpler in terms that, last 3 modules in the last year or best 7 modules average in the last two years.

Wolverhampton University on the other hand, is completely confusing to understand.

Please help ?

Their grades are;

Second Year;

Third Year;
0 (Awaiting Result.

Any chance someone can help me figure it out please, as I would like to help them find out what they have got.

As far as I have understood it, '180 Level 5 and Level 6 credits; at least 100 credits must be at level 6.'

That would give them so far an average of '57.1%'. Which is a Upper/Lower Second border range', '57.01% to 59.99%'.

First is; 70-100
First/Upper Second is 67.01-69.99
Upper Second is 60-67
Upper/Lower Second is 57.01-59.99

Is that a 2.2?

Thank you sincerely.

IMG_3578.PNG

Although I can't do the maths on my phone or see how you've done it, to your summary you need to add that the average is calculated from the best 180 credits, 100 of which must be from your final year.
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
IMG_3578.PNG

Although I can't do the maths on my phone or see how you've done it, to your summary you need to add that the average is calculated from the best 180 credits, 100 of which must be from your final year.

Yeah, I have managed to find out that it is an average of 57.1% which is an Upper/Lower Second Border Range.

What is an Upper/Lower second border range ?

My university doesn't even have that.

Thank you for your response.
Yeah, I have managed to find out that it is an average of 57.1% which is an Upper/Lower Second Border Range.

Just guessing here but usually if you get between 50 and 60 it's a lower second - however, if you get between 57 and 60 and your final year performance is good enough then you may get an upper second.
I also make it 57.1%. The border criteria in Section 5.2.1 says: "Student must have 60% or above in at least 60 level 6 credits gained in the final year of the course" which your friend already has, so it looks like they have an upper second.
(edited 6 years ago)

Some unis do, some don't. My uni also doesn't do Lower 2nd (so to speak)

So if your uni is like mine it will be:

1st 70-100%
2:i (Upper Second) 60-69%
2:ii (Lower Second) 50-59&
3rd 40-49%
Fail. 0-39%
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Some unis do, some don't. My uni also doesn't do Lower 2nd (so to speak)

So if your uni is like mine it will be:

1st 70-100%
2:i (Upper Second) 60-69%
2:ii (Lower Second) 50-59&
3rd 40-40%
Fail. 0-39%

Sorry; let me explain this:

Rather than having bands in each degree classification tier (for example on a degree certificate for your friend it will be either "2:ii (lower OR upper depending on percentage). So it would say "2:ii Lower Class Division" or "2:ii Upper Class Division".

But for you and I, it would not have any tiers in-between the classifications. So it would be simply "2:ii Lower Class Division" or "2:i Upper Class Division".

Does that make sense?
Reply 7
I had a question šŸ™‹šŸ¾*ā™€ļø. Iā€™m up for a First/upper second border range diploma. Does that mean my diploma will show First-class? Or does it actually say first/upper second class diploma? Thanks in advance for the help!
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest