The Student Room Group

Doing 4 subjects at A2, but doing bad in one subject

`I currently in year 12 and im worried about my business studies grade , im doing Maths chemistry, business and psychology privately - will getting like AAAE - Stop me from going uni if their requirements is AAA. and do unis make offer on four subjects or three?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joseph9299
`I currently in year 12 and im worried about my business studies grade , im doing Maths chemistry, business and psychology privately - will getting like AAAE - Stop me from going uni if their requirements is AAA. and do unis make offer on four subjects or three?

If they only require 3 a levels then they will make an offer off of 3 generally
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle

So it wont matter what you get on fourth a level
So it wont matter what you get on fourth a level

it might not matter yes
Reply 4

Dont most unis give offers based on 3 -what unis will give based on 4 (oxbridge?)
Dont most unis give offers based on 3 -what unis will give based on 4 (oxbridge?)

most, yes oxbridge is 4 a levels for many subjects
Reply 6

most, yes oxbridge is 4 a levels for many subjects

No. No course at Oxbridge requires 4 A-levels.

OP which course are you considering? The typical requirement for Cambridge is A*AA for arts&humanities (except Economics) and A*A*A for sciences (plus Economics). Unless you are at least predicted the typical requirement you are unlikely to be succesful.

Most only 3
But some say an As is needed so then your probably need a higher grade than E check entry requirements
Reply 8
Original post by Doonesbury
No. No course at Oxbridge requires 4 A-levels.

OP which course are you considering? The typical requirement for Cambridge is A*AA for arts&humanities (except Economics) and A*A*A for sciences (plus Economics). Unless you are at least predicted the typical requirement you are unlikely to be succesful.

The courses im looking to apply is chemical engineering or maybe eco degrree
Doing badly.

Oxbridge tutors look down on the incorrect use of adverbs, even in scientific subjects.
Depends:
Some universities may only count 3 of your A2s
Others may factor it in (So they may ask for an A or a B in the extra qualification)
Odds are you'll be fine, as long as the A Levels you're doing GOOD in correlate to the desired A Levels of the course, I see no reason why they would incorporate a 4th requirement
Reply 11
The courses im looking to apply is chemical engineering or maybe eco degrree

Chemical Engineering at Cambridge requires A*A*A.
You need Maths and Chemistry, plus Physics and FM depending on the route.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/chemical-engineering#entry-requirements

Economics at Cambridge also requires A*A*A.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/economics#entry-requirements

An E at AS-level in an unconnected subject won't affect you.
Original post by Doonesbury
Chemical Engineering at Cambridge requires A*A*A.
You need Maths and Chemistry, plus Physics and FM depending on the route.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/chemical-engineering#entry-requirements

Economics at Cambridge also requires A*A*A.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/economics#entry-requirements

An E at AS-level in an unconnected subject won't affect you.

I mean an E AT A2 - but you get A*A*A for eco degree, so overall u get A*A*AE
Original post by astutehirstute
Doing badly.

Oxbridge tutors look down on the incorrect use of adverbs, even in scientific subjects.

I assure you most of the science faculty, and indeed a good chunk of the humanities faculty, at Cambridge do not care about formal grammar and are like to make the same mistake.

These are the same people who pull the bright red clearly labelled "emergency call" cord in disabled toilets on a nearly a daily basis, or press the emergency call to get into the car park because they had to go to the barrier on the other side and were incapable of seeing the card reader directly below the call button.

Trust me, Cambridge (and almost certainly by extension, Oxford) academics are not some kind of all knowing godlike entities. They are employed for their exceptional research abilities in very specific niche areas of their academic subject. Unless their research is on the use of adverbs I would venture to suggest they probably don't even really know what an adverb is (which would be pretty much anyone outside of MML, Linguistics, English, Classics, and ANSAC at a minimum). Their general knowledge is not particularly better than anyone else at a well regarded university, and their common sense is possibly worse on the whole...

Anyway OP, as stated offers are normally made on a basis of 3 A-levels, or exceptionally 4 for a handful of courses at a small number of colleges or STEM courses generally where one of them is A-level Futher Maths. You may want to consider dropping it if it's not relevant to your intended area of study, although I vaguely recall Oxbridge had some views on "dropping" subjects so do check their admissions pages to see if this is applicable for you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AryanGh
Depends:
Some universities may only count 3 of your A2s
Others may factor it in (So they may ask for an A or a B in the extra qualification)
Odds are you'll be fine, as long as the A Levels you're doing GOOD in correlate to the desired A Levels of the course, I see no reason why they would incorporate a 4th requirement

Say i want to do chemical engineering and my required subjects are maths and chem and my grades at a2 is AAAE - With a's in maths and chem but an E in my fourth subject at a2. But the entry requirement is AAA - i'll still get in right?
Say i want to do chemical engineering and my required subjects are maths and chem and my grades at a2 is AAAE - With a's in maths and chem but an E in my fourth subject at a2. But the entry requirement is AAA - i'll still get in right?

Again, subjective, depends on the university.

Ultimately, in my eyes. Business is not relevant to your degree at all, is completely unrelated and looking aside from that in the subjects that actually do matter you look to be a promising and competitive student. But again, it depends where you want to go.
Reply 16
I mean an E AT A2 - but you get A*A*A for eco degree, so overall u get A*A*AE

You apply before you get your grades using predictions (usually).

Economics is *extremely* competitive, and I'd say an A*A*AE prediction with the E in Business Studies would raise eyebrows but a strong interview and ECAA might still help you get an offer.

But, to be clear, I don't think your A-level subjects would make you competitve enough for ChemEng at Cambridge.

However, and this is important, don't pick the university - pick the course. There's no point going to Cambridge to study Economics if you actually want to study Chemical Engineering. Find the course you REALLY want to do, then find some universities that offer the modules, etc you find interesting. Don't just pick Oxbridge because of the "reputation" or "brand". The course comes first, not the university.

Oh, and your choice of ChemEng universities will be slightly limited by not having physics A-level.
Reply 17

If you have an AAA Offer and go on to *achieve* AAAE then you have met* the Offer and you will be accepted.

*Assuming the E isn't in a required subject.
Original post by artful_lounger
I assure you most of the science faculty, and indeed a good chunk of the humanities faculty, at Cambridge do not care about formal grammar and are like to make the same mistake.

These are the same people who pull the bright red clearly labelled "emergency call" cord in disabled toilets on a nearly a daily basis, or press the emergency call to get into the car park because they had to go to the barrier on the other side and were incapable of seeing the card reader directly below the call button.

Trust me, Cambridge (and almost certainly by extension, Oxford) academics are not some kind of all knowing godlike entities. They are employed for their exceptional research abilities in very specific niche areas of their academic subject. Unless their research is on the use of adverbs I would venture to suggest they probably don't even really know what an adverb is (which would be pretty much anyone outside of MML, Linguistics, English, Classics, and ANSAC at a minimum). Their general knowledge is not particularly better than anyone else at a well regarded university, and their common sense is possibly worse on the whole...

Anyway OP, as stated offers are normally made on a basis of 3 A-levels, or exceptionally 4 for a handful of courses at a small number of colleges or STEM courses generally where one of them is A-level Futher Maths. You may want to consider dropping it if it's not relevant to your intended area of study, although I vaguely recall Oxbridge had some views on "dropping" subjects so do check their admissions pages to see if this is applicable for you.

All of the Oxbridge students and alumni I encounter on here write according to the basic grammatical rules, (even if they don't know what they are called) ; I doubt that their Dons are less literate.

I agree that there can be a striking absence of common sense, however. On that we are in accordance.
Original post by astutehirstute
All of the Oxbridge students and alumni I encounter on here write according to the basic grammatical rules, (even if they don't know what they are called) ; I doubt that their Dons are less literate.

I agree that there can be a striking absence of common sense, however. On that we are in accordance.

There are far more students and alumni that do not use TSR than that do. Also I can assure you the English language requirements for e.g. international students are...pretty low. While it's a much fabled institution, it is fundamentally a research university and they care more about an individuals ability to conduct world class research (or perhaps, become a world class researcher, or at least a rich banker who will donate to their college) than their language skills, in general.

Unfortunately those people who use this website are the exception that prove the rule. (also those who have a better command of the English language, regardless of whether it is their mother tongue or not, are more likely to post prolifically on an online forum than those who do not so there is a degree of self selection biasing that sample)

Quick Reply

Latest