Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    There are far more students and alumni that do not use TSR than that do. Also I can assure you the English language requirements for e.g. international students are...pretty low. While it's a much fabled institution, it is fundamentally a research university and they care more about an individuals ability to conduct world class research (or perhaps, become a world class researcher, or at least a rich banker who will donate to their college) than their language skills, in general.

Unfortunately those people who use this website are the exception that prove the rule. (also those who have a better command of the English language, regardless of whether it is their mother tongue or not, are more likely to post prolifically on an online forum than those who do not so there is a degree of self selection biasing that sample)
    The OP is a native speaker, educated in this country. The fact that he can't write his own language properly is unlikely to help his cause in a highly competitive admissions process, that was my point.

And whilst it is true that there may be some non native speakers in research positions I bet they speak and write their own language perfectly well. And many probaby write English better than him too...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    The OP is a native speaker, educated in this country. The fact that he can't write his own language properly is unlikely to help his cause in a highly competitive admissions process, that was my point.

And whilst it is true that there may be some non native speakers in research positions I bet they speak and write their own language perfectly well. And many probaby write English better than him too...
    I assure you, as someone that has to talk to and receive emails from these people on a regular basis, you would be very surprised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joseph9299)
    `I currently in year 12 and im worried about my business studies grade , im doing Maths chemistry, business and psychology privately - will getting like AAAE - Stop me from going uni if their requirements is AAA. and do unis make offer on four subjects or three?
    Joseph did you do edexcel's new spec business AS papers? First paper was disgusting. Second paper a little better

ReputationRep:
    I assure you, as someone that has to talk to and receive emails from these people on a regular basis, you would be very surprised.
    I would be very surprised, that is true.

In what capacity do you communicate with all these worthies? Are you talking about full fellows of a College the OP will be applying to? The people who would actually make the admission decision?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I would be very surprised, that is true.

In what capacity do you communicate with all these worthies? Are you talking about full fellows of a College the OP will be applying to? The people who would actually make the admission decision?
    In order: that's not relevant to either this discussion or yourself (and can be no doubt determined by any without further comment here anyway), yes, and yes.

Technical knowledge of English grammar is not a prerequisite to study at an elite institution - an openness to learning and dedication to their subject, as well as strong background in relevant subject areas is all that is needed.

ReputationRep:
    In order: that's not relevant to either this discussion or yourself (and can be no doubt determined by any without further comment here anyway), yes, and yes.

Technical knowledge of English grammar is not a prerequisite to study at an elite institution - an openness to learning and dedication to their subject, as well as strong background in relevant subject areas is all that is needed.
    Ha ha ha!

I thought all along that it was highly unlikely that many Cambridge Admissions Tutors wouldn't recognise the incorrect use of an adverb, and you have just confirmed you have no evidence to the contrary!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha ha!

I thought all along that it was highly unlikely that many Cambridge Admissions Tutors wouldn't recognise the incorrect use of an adverb, and you have just confirmed you have no evidence to the contrary!
    Don't worry about it, it'll never be relevant to you anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, it'll never be relevant to you anyway.
    True, I graduated from Oxbridge some time ago. I couldn't care less what goes on there any more, although I do give my old college a few quid every month. Goodness knows why, they are rolling in money. :rolleyes:
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    All of the Oxbridge students and alumni I encounter on here write according to the basic grammatical rules, (even if they don't know what they are called) ; I doubt that their Dons are less literate.

I agree that there can be a striking absence of common sense, however. On that we are in accordance.
    There are plenty of current Cambridge students on TSR with an, er, relaxed view of English grammar, especially if they aren't doing humanities.

It's a post on an online forum, not a crafted personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    There are plenty of current Cambridge students on TSR with an, er, relaxed view of English grammar, especially if they aren't doing humanities.

It's a post on an online forum, not a crafted personal statement.
    Interesting that this doesn't include you.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Interesting that this doesn't include you.
    I'm not a prospective, current or prior Tab.

ReputationRep:
    i want to do mechanical engineering aand my predicted grades are AAAD. With A's Maths physics and economics and a E in sociology. The entry requirement is AAA - Will i be rejected because i got an E predicted for a subject despite me meeting the offfer. And the E is not even releveant to my course. And i am taking economics privately - will i be disadvantaged because of this?

ReputationRep:
    i meant AAAE predicted
    i want to do mechanical engineering aand my predicted grades are AAAD. With A's Maths physics and economics and a E in sociology. The entry requirement is AAA - Will i be rejected because i got an E predicted for a subject despite me meeting the offfer. And the E is not even releveant to my course. And i am taking economics privately - will i be disadvantaged because of this?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    i meant AAAE predicted
    Sociology won't matter.

And doing economics won't advantage you either.

What are your other subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Sociology won't matter.

And doing economics won't advantage you either.

What are your other subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maths and Physics. And economics does matter for me - as thats my third A predicted.

ReputationRep:
    `I currently in year 12 and im worried about my business studies grade , im doing Maths chemistry, business and psychology privately - will getting like AAAE - Stop me from going uni if their requirements is AAA. and do unis make offer on four subjects or three?
    Drop one subject

ReputationRep:
    The courses im looking to apply is chemical engineering or maybe eco degrree
    You're worried about business studies grade and want to do econ? Lol, business studies is a "soft" A level. If you don't like that, you probably won't like econ. If you're on an A in maths, should be fine for engineering.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Maths and Physics. And economics does matter for me - as thats my third A predicted.
    You'd do better self-teaching FM than Economics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.