Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teens laugh and mock whilst disabled man is drowning to death Watch

Announcements

I watched the video
    I don't understand how they can have the heart to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    They cannot be prosecuted by their is no law saying they should help.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/20/us...man/index.html
    yeah but you would let your human brother die although your not obliged to save them? on top of that laugh and mock? hmmm
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFarmerLad)
    No doubt that they're complete knobs but what could they have done realistically to save him?
    They could have gone and found someone else to help or called the emergency services. Which is what anyone who isn't a complete scumbag would have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elforjg02)
    yeah but you would let your human brother die although your not obliged to save them? on top of that laugh and mock? hmmm
    I am merely providing information.

I certainly wouldn't dive in as an untrained person, however I would do what I could from the shore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elforjg02)
    Going in would have been a bad idea if you are not trained,since they could have drowned as well.
    They should have called emergency services and run to the other side of the lake where the man was,try to see if there is any object around they could throw out to the man .
    Complete trash,highlights everything wrong with this world,those teenagers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobby147)
    Going in would have been a bad idea if you are not trained,since they could have drowned as well.
    They should have called emergency services and run to the other side of the lake where the man was,try to see if there is any object around they could throw out to the man .
    Complete trash,highlights everything wrong with this world,those teenagers.
    I would've ended up going in anyway. There isn't no way I'm gonna watch an innocent man die in front of my eyes. Even if that meant I drowned instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasim_96)
    I would've ended up going in anyway. There isn't no way I'm gonna watch an innocent man die in front of my eyes. Even if that meant I drowned instead.
    It is better to have one funeral instead of two.
    There is a thin line between being brave and just throwing your life away,too many times I read of people who drowned helping others.
    Your better off calling emergency services ,especially in the case of these teens.None of them would probably been able to physically carry the guy back to the shore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasim_96)
    There is no 'drowning instead'. I gurantee you alone are too weak to drag a strugglig fully grown man back to shore on your own. The realistic scenario is that you both would have drowned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrIso)
    It's not that bad, just a bit grim. It's some maggots eating a dead body in a lake, and a person talking over it saying things like 'This is nature in it's raw, there is no right or wrong, there is morality to what you're seeing. Morality and religion are the licenses we give ourselves to hate each other, the justification we use to kill each other in wars and conflicts. Think about what would happen if we chose not to accept that morality and to reject any school of thought that preaches hatred, no matter how popular it is. We have to start at home, watch what you're teaching to your children today, you're either a part of the solution or a part of the problem. You already know all the rules you need; be kind to each other and don't hate, love.
    thanks, still seems pretty grim to me. can't look at dead bodies, no sir!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    There is no 'drowning instead'. I gurantee you alone are too weak to drag a strugglig fully grown man back to shore on your own. The realistic scenario is that you both would have drowned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The question is, could you live the rest of your life knowing you could have potentially saved that persons life?

It may be selfishness, but I too would probably have gone in. I remember a documentary about the 7/7 bombings, a woman on the tube had left after the explosions (even though people around her were helping the injured). She said she was struggling to move on as she believes she could have done something, helped someone.
    Imagine, living the rest of your life thinking about one moment.

I'm not saying I could swim a fully grown man back to shore, but I would like to think I'd do more than just stand on the side. But who knows, I've never been in such a position before. For all I know I could get scared and not do anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Optimum_)
    The question is, could you live the rest of your life knowing you could have potentially saved that persons life?

It may be selfishness, but I too would probably have gone in. I remember a documentary about the 7/7 bombings, a woman on the tube had left after the explosions (even though people around her were helping the injured). She said she was struggling to move on as she believes she could have done something, helped someone.
    Imagine, living the rest of your life thinking about one moment.

I'm not saying I could swim a fully grown man back to shore, but I would like to think I'd do more than just stand on the side. But who knows, I've never been in such a position before. For all I know I could get scared and not do anything.
    As you say, I can't give you a true answer right now. But what I can say is that unless it was somebody I knew or was close to, in this moment, I would not have gone in because I know my limits. I'm very small and I'm not a strong swimmer. I would have tried everything else possible though because I know that I would feel very guilty if I just stood and watched and would probably become very disturbed too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Americans. Of course.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.