Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Degree course crisis!!!!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay... dude dont do media studies

What is there job wise u could do?.

Ill be honest with you, im at university for my final year at uni. When i went to University i was nieve prob as u are . I thought id get a degree then a job would get handed to me on a plate turns out thats much harder than that.

Im doing an engineering degree so ill have a reasonable amount of oppurtunity to get a job, law also has a similar fate.

Dont Do English/Media Studies... English leads mainly into english teaching. Similar to History degree courses.

Do a course that you know has a use and you will enjoy. The problem with Universities today is that Its about Supply and Demand nearly 50% of you guys are going to University... there arent enough jobs for all of you, so if you pick a course not looked on well then your essentially shooting yourself in the foot.

Its a long time to waste for a piece of paper, if its not gonna get u a job. Im glad i picked a semi-decent degree to do when i did.

Degrees that u can get a job with: Electronic Engineering, Law, Physics.

Degrees you will have a hard time getting a job with: Business Studies, English,History,Media Studies, Golf Course Management.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danii17)
    I thought media or a media related subject was going to be the right course for me at university, but recently i've been having second thoughts. The reason is that ive heard that media is not the right course to get you into a media job, as employers 'do not respect it'. So far, it has been the subject that i've enjoyed the most. However i am willing to pick another course that will give me better career prospects because with the huge debts now, picking a course with good job prospects is crucial. Currently i am studying English media history and sociology, i enjoy English the least, i do enjoy history alot at some points but i did better in media and sociology than i did in history. This is also why im confused!!!!!!!!!!

So, can anybody offer me any advice about what to do??
    Don’t panic, do the one which appeals to you most, don’t allow the personal preferences of other people to influence you. After all, it is you who is going to have to live with your choice for the next three years of your life, not them. Try to choose the course that you feel comfortable in, interests you the most and you are less likely to drop out of. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neas)
    Do a course that you know has a use and you will enjoy. The problem with Universities today is that Its about Supply and Demand nearly 50% of you guys are going to University... there arent enough jobs for all of you, so if you pick a course not looked on well then your essentially shooting yourself in the foot.
    It's actually more like 100% as this forum is dominated by those with a decent amount of dedication to their education. Also surely supply will exceed demand in relatively similar proportions regardless of subject.

(Original post by Neas)
    Its a long time to waste for a piece of paper, if its not gonna get u a job. Im glad i picked a semi-decent degree to do when i did.
    If you enjoy it and learn from it, it's not wasted...my opinion anyway.

(Original post by Neas)

Degrees you will have a hard time getting a job with: Business Studies, English,History,Media Studies, Golf Course Management.
    With no exceptions, I know someone who did each of those courses and enjoyed their uni time and got good jobs (25k+ by 25 years old).

P.S. My cousin did a PE degree with specialization in golf, but I counted it anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neas)
    Okay... dude dont do media studies

What is there job wise u could do?.

Ill be honest with you, im at university for my final year at uni. When i went to University i was nieve prob as u are . I thought id get a degree then a job would get handed to me on a plate turns out thats much harder than that.

Im doing an engineering degree so ill have a reasonable amount of oppurtunity to get a job, law also has a similar fate.

Dont Do English/Media Studies... English leads mainly into english teaching. Similar to History degree courses.

But the second lot of degrees you mentioned seem so much more interesting, the first lot, to me, are boring , all apart from law which seems great, but i know that law isn't for me. The scary thing is, the reason why im so useless at picking my degree course, is that i dont know what i really want to do with my life. I know what i don't want to do, e.g become a doctor or lawyer!

ReputationRep:
    But the second lot of degrees you mentioned seem so much more interesting, the first lot, to me, are boring , all apart from law which seems great, but i know that law isn't for me. The scary thing is, the reason why im so useless at picking my degree course, is that i dont know what i really want to do with my life. I know what i don't want to do, e.g become a doctor or lawyer!
    Plus, your A level subjects aren't exactly suited for a degree in physics or Electronic Engineering.

If you don't know what you want to do, do history or politics or another kind of humanity/social science, because they leave lots of options open. But pick something that you'll actually enjoy doing, because you're the one who has to study it for three years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Plus, your A level subjects aren't exactly suited for a degree in physics or Electronic Engineering.

If you don't know what you want to do, do history or politics or another kind of humanity/social science, because they leave lots of options open. But pick something that you'll actually enjoy doing, because you're the one who has to study it for three years.
    Yeah three years is a long time, there's two halves of this decision.
    1) Is telling me to pick a subject which i'll most probably enjoy over the other options, but lacks good job prospects.
    2) Pick something more respected, that i've studied, but ill probably be bored stiff with, but has better job prospects, according to this board.

Both are flawed.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered a joint honours degree in Media Studies and maybe History or sociology. If you haven't totally decided on Media but know you want to do something involving that area then it might be a good option.

As for work experience have you discussed it with your school or college? They'll probably have some contacts and be able to get you in somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Painted)
    Have you considered a joint honours degree in Media Studies and maybe History or sociology. If you haven't totally decided on Media but know you want to do something involving that area then it might be a good option.

As for work experience have you discussed it with your school or college? They'll probably have some contacts and be able to get you in somewhere.
    Yes i did consider doing media with sociology, however on this board, ive read that it's a bad choice to do a joint honours because you don't feel like you belong to any department or something like that and the uni's arent that fussed about the joint honours students. Is this true? Maybe i take too much notice of what i read on here.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah three years is a long time, there's two halves of this decision.
    1) Is telling me to pick a subject which i'll most probably enjoy over the other options, but lacks good job prospects.
    2) Pick something more respected, that i've studied, but ill probably be bored stiff with, but has better job prospects, according to this board.

Both are flawed.
    What aspects so you like about media? The module I liked most out of the whole A Level (representation) was pretty much just sociology, so if you like that sort of thing, that could be an option.

Or maybe something like cultural studies? e.g. http://www.undergraduate.bham.ac.uk/programmes/mcs.htm

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.