Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

M440 - Motion on School End of Term Events 2017 Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

M4440 - Motion on School End of Term Events 2017, TSR Green Party

This House notes the increasing number of schools in the United Kingdom that host school 'proms', events that are along the lines of the longstanding US tradition and can involve a considerable expense for those attending. This House believes that such events should not have the support of schools in the provision of facilities, funding or any other form of active support, and if pupils wish to self-organise modest end of school events away from school premises this should be up to them.

This House believes that the 'prom' favours children from higher income families, and creates expense on clothing and footwear often not worn much again. It is furthermore a tradition that presumes that all children are heterosexual and able easily to form relationships, and so discriminates against those who are not heterosexual, who have doubts about their sexuality, or in some ways have acute social anxiety or mental health issues.

ReputationRep:
    This is utterly ridiculous.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)

M4440 - Motion on School End of Term Events 2017, TSR Green Party

This House notes the increasing number of schools in the United Kingdom that host school 'proms', events that are along the lines of the longstanding US tradition and can involve a considerable expense for those attending. This House believes that such events should not have the support of schools in the provision of facilities, funding or any other form of active support, and if pupils wish to self-organise modest end of school events away from school premises this should be up to them.

This House believes that the 'prom' favours children from higher income families, and creates expense on clothing and footwear often not worn much again. It is furthermore a tradition that presumes that all children are heterosexual and able easily to form relationships, and so discriminates against those who are not heterosexual, who have doubts about their sexuality, or in some ways have acute social anxiety or mental health issues.
    The Green Party displaying itself as a joke, yet again.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see the green party being an active voice in the house and making legislation on the most pressing and important issues facing our society.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    #Orangeisthenewgreen

Perhaps why we've taken on the Green Mantle instead of a party who are clearly too small and incompetent to hold it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Seriously?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This is not a subject for the state to be engaged in. Too much interference. Give schools and pupils independence over this.

I vote No

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Suggesting that schools ought to subsidise on a means-tested basis would be reasonable. This is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Awful bill.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I can see where they are coming from, however it is still a no.

ReputationRep:
    Teenage body image and the pressures faced by teenagers doubtful or in torment about their sexuality are important issues. This would be one small step forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Teenage body image and the pressures faced by teenagers doubtful or in torment about their sexuality are important issues. This would be one small step forward.
    Yes, a great idea to improve the feelings of teenagers is to make it more difficult to host a massively popular yearly event that celebrates their lives at school because one person might not like it or even be offended by it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Certainly my school didn't want anything to do with the Year 11 prom, it was something for students to organise themselves if they wanted to have one. The Year 13 prom was an altogether different event which involved both students and teachers. Neither was much of a problem.

Also Rakas21
    You may wish to double-check the number in the thread title.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Certainly my school didn't want anything to do with the Year 11 prom, it was something for students to organise themselves if they wanted to have one. The Year 13 prom was an altogether different event which involved both students and teachers. Neither was much of a problem.

Also Rakas21
    You may wish to double-check the number in the thread title.
    Nice spot.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    At my school the children organised the prom themselves with the help of parents, I agree there is no reason for schools to be involved, however, I do nto support a motion to formally declare that.

ReputationRep:
    Fam is the Green Party butters?

Proms are optional so there is no pressure on poorer people. Suits can easily be purchased from a charity shop or cheap store like Primark for those with poorer backgrounds. Also funnily enough prom isn't the only time you need to wear a suit.

And the nonsense about heterosexuality, why even include it? There is no pressure to 'go with someone' to proms (romantically speaking), I had friends who didn't go with girls.

I can't believe how someone thought this was sensible.

ReputationRep:
    While I don't believe that schools should be encouraging young adult relations, the reasoning in the 2nd paragraph from the motion puts me off agreeing with it...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The exact nature of what constitutes a "prom" needs further clarification.

Some points are decent, some ludicrous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I actually agree fully with this bill except it needs to be specified that it only applies to public schools

The Green Party is somehow one of the best parties despite having no leader
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I guess the author could be classed as a peasant. A bigger problem is the amount of time spent at the end of academic years not educating students but ****ing about done by teachers.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.