Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Benefits whilst at college/ uni Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm 22 and thinking of going to college next year, I currently rent a property and work full time. However when I go to college I will have to quit my job, therefore having no income. Will I get any benefits/ funding/ help or not to help pay the rent? Has anyone got any experience with this? If not i will have to get a part time job, but still
    Won't be able to afford all the bills
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeharlow)
    Hi, I'm 22 and thinking of going to college next year, I currently rent a property and work full time. However when I go to college I will have to quit my job, therefore having no income. Will I get any benefits/ funding/ help or not to help pay the rent? Has anyone got any experience with this? If not i will have to get a part time job, but still
    No, you cannot claim as a full time student.
    • Very Important Poster

You can only claim HB in limited circumstances and it doesnt look as though any of them apply to you. Its what your maintenance loan is for plus its not uncommon for students to get jobs to support their studies.

Hi, I have just been though this.
    I was at college in Birmingham and living alone in an apartment.
    I worked as much as possible but had to study 3 full days a week at college then try to get time to study at home!
    I applied for housing benefit & got a little bit each month, however housing benefit is not a separate benefit anymore. It is grouped into 'universal credit' which is also job seekers allowance & such.

When at my first meeting to get housing benefit I made it very clear that I was working the full amount of hours possible with my study & couldn't work more hours! I made it clear I did not want JSA I just wanted housing benefit! They said they dont calculate it & its down to hmrc & the council.

I was made to go to meetings all the time & they tracked to see if I was searching for extra work, they are not very nice about it all at all! They forced me to work extra shifts & get extra jobs.

I eventually ended up signed off by the doctor as the stress was all gettig too much to handle! & I wanted to focus on college studies.

Going to college is the best thing to do for the future! Maybe go to speak to someone about housing benefits you may have a different experience than I had! Also speak to college as there are hardship grants available & charities to help students!

I am now off to uni in September so all the stress has been worth it! Go to college you will love it & will have a better future! Maybe ask a family member if you could move in with them? Or maybe try to get a cheaper apartment? Or a council flat? College is a short time it will be worth it in the end!

Also....full time students get free council tax! Ask college for a council tax exemption certificate & they will print it off & stamp it for you then you go onto the council website & apply for student exemption its just a form takes a few mins to fill out then you send them the certificate from college so that is a big help too!

Hope I've helped!

ReputationRep:
    I've Just finished a 1 year full time college course. when I started it I was told there was a 19+ maintenance loan and other grants available that I could apply for, 1 week into the course I came to find out I was entitled to nothing and managed to survive by working the first couple of months and in the holidays just to feed myself. I slept on freinds sofas and floors and have managed to get through the course, Now I've applied to Uni and qaulified for maintenance loan and course fees. Even though I told the college about the way I was living, they didn't care.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Money and Finance

You'll only get benefits if you're either a parent or disabled.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.