Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should we bring back the death penalty here in the UK? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should the UK bring back the death penalty?
    Yes, heinous criminals have no place in society
    48.53%
    No, just let them suffer in prison
    51.47%

ReputationRep:
    So many stupid people in one thread... The state is no better than the perpetrators of these heinous crimes if it uses the death penalty. It's been shown that the capital punishment isn't an effective deterrent, so what purpose does it really serve? It's also a common misconception that the death penalty is cheaper than life imprisonment- a quick google search will tell you that.

Do you proponents of the death penalty believe that perpetrators of evil crimes are incapable of reform? Smh

ReputationRep:
    OP got "cyber bullied".. :sad:

..demanded the death penalty :erm:

#PassiveAggressive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    Honestly I don't mind dying if I need to pay for my vile crimes
    I don't mean you dying, I mean you being the executioner. You say you want the death penalty but would you carry out the death penalty on someone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applesforme)
    I don't mean you dying, I mean you being the executioner. You say you want the death penalty but would you carry out the death penalty on someone else?
    I admit that being an executioner is not easy and it takes guts to kill a human but personally I don't want to become an executioner because....it's just a scary job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    OP got "cyber bullied".. :sad:

..demanded the death penalty :erm:

#PassiveAggressive
    If you read the post carefully I didn't get cyber bullied but would bring the death penalty back anyway

ReputationRep:
    I admit that being an executioner is not easy and it takes guts to kill a human but personally I don't want to become an executioner because....it's just a scary job.
    you need someone else to do your dirty work basically.

ReputationRep:
    you need someone else to do your dirty work basically.
    Yeah pretty much.....

ReputationRep:
    If you read the post carefully I didn't get cyber bullied but would bring the death penalty back anyway
    OP didn't get "cyber bullied"..

..demanded the death penalty anyway:mute:

#CakeOrDeath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    OP didn't get "cyber bullied"..

..demanded the death penalty anyway:mute:

#CakeOrDeath
    You know if you are against the death penalty you can just say it instead of making those phrases which don't make sense when I read them, so I didn't get cyber bullied and would want the death penalty anyway for WHO? The person who didn't cyber bully me? Makes no sense
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    A time in which murderers, terrorists and traitors to the realm were treated in a just way. A short drop and a sudden stop. It is unlikely that perpetrators of these heinous crimes will be adequately rehabilitated and therefore we should remove them from society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin)
    A time in which murderers, terrorists and traitors to the realm were treated in a just way. A short drop and a sudden stop. It is unlikely that perpetrators of these heinous crimes will be adequately rehabilitated and therefore we should remove them from society.
    The first part is poor English and doesn't make sense. The second part is both conjectural and twisted. What reason do you have to believe what you assert? How do you define 'adequate rehabilitation'? What happens if people are wrongly convicted?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cave Felem)
    The first part is poor English and doesn't make sense. The second part is both conjectural and twisted. What reason do you have to believe what you assert? How do you define 'adequate rehabilitation'? What happens if people are wrongly convicted?
    Do you truly believe those who have reached the point in which they will commit acts of terrorism or treason can be rehabilitated? They cannot be changed and if they are kept in prison, they'll just continue to cost the taxpayer even more money especially if they require any medical attention in the future. Capital punishment should be available to those who have committed murder with express malice aforethought, terrorism and treason. And in order for a death penalty to be given murder, the jury should be made to give a unanimous verdict of guilty beyond reasonable doubt. Nowadays, it is rare that the wrong people are convicted and even if it were the casr, there should be a month between sentencing and execution where the death penalty can be appealed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    Only for serial killers in my opinion. Where there is 100% solid proof that they have killed more than one person.
    Is there ever 100% proof though given that our justice system hangs on the opinion of 12 members of our society? And do countries that have the death penalty enjoy a crime free society?

ReputationRep:
    They cannot be changed and if they are kept in prison, they'll just continue to cost the taxpayer even more money especially if they require any medical attention in the future.
    I believe Germany has a good track record of rehabilitating terrorists who then go on to provide valuable intelligence.

But do you really believe that by killing terrorists you are going to stop further terrorist attacks? Surely you simply validate the cause of the terrorist aim? I note that Iraq reinstated capital punishment and has continued to bear a very high level of terrorist attacks.

Maybe, just maybe one feeds into the other?

ReputationRep:
    Do you truly believe those who have reached the point in which they will commit acts of terrorism or treason can be rehabilitated? They cannot be changed and if they are kept in prison, they'll just continue to cost the taxpayer even more money especially if they require any medical attention in the future. Capital punishment should be available to those who have committed murder with express malice aforethought, terrorism and treason. And in order for a death penalty to be given murder, the jury should be made to give a unanimous verdict of guilty beyond reasonable doubt. Nowadays, it is rare that the wrong people are convicted and even if it were the casr, there should be a month between sentencing and execution where the death penalty can be appealed.
    You do know in the US it costs a lot more taxpayer money for capital punishment than life imprisonment mostly due to a more rigorous trial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TagridS)
    I think it's not the solution..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ...................the solution to what ????????

For emotional closure, and to help the grieving process, yes, it's the only way to get closure.

Bring it back.

Enough's enough.

ReputationRep:
    no, murder is something we should avoid if at all possible.

ReputationRep:
    Uh huh, this is all talk. Would you be prepared to administer the lethal injection yourself?
    No but thats just being fallicious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cave Felem)
    So many stupid people in one thread... The state is no better than the perpetrators of these heinous crimes if it uses the death penalty. It's been shown that the capital punishment isn't an effective deterrent, so what purpose does it really serve? It's also a common misconception that the death penalty is cheaper than life imprisonment- a quick google search will tell you that.

Do you proponents of the death penalty believe that perpetrators of evil crimes are incapable of reform? Smh
    Whatever purpose is does serve is a hundred times better than the current prison system where murderers and rapists are practically worshipped by lesser criminals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelike1)
    Whatever purpose is does serve is a hundred times better than the current prison system where murderers and rapists are practically worshipped by lesser criminals.
    Are you serious? Rapists often have to be kept on different wings because they get targeted by other inmates and beaten up... I can tell you've done your research.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.