Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should we bring back the death penalty here in the UK? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should the UK bring back the death penalty?
    Yes, heinous criminals have no place in society
    48.53%
    No, just let them suffer in prison
    51.47%

ReputationRep:
    I had to make a speech on this...
    It is the solution becuase otherwise there is nothing to deter people from committing major crimes as a lot of criminals like prison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kedhar.p)
    I had to make a speech on this...
    It is the solution becuase otherwise there is nothing to deter people from committing major crimes as a lot of criminals like prison.
    Look at the data, it doesn't act as a significant deterrent.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Paedophiles would be at the top of the list.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    First time ive agreed with one of your posts
    Okay, so a maximum security prisoner costs about 50,000(1) pounds per year. Let's say a thirty year old commits one count of murder, without using a firearm, and for personal gain. In the UK, this would currently mean a starting point sentence of 30 years(2). Therefore, we'll say our prisoner serves a full 30 years. This means that the prisoner will cost 1.5 million pounds over their sentence. The lethal injection costs around 1.3 million dollars, or just about 1 million pounds(3). In 2010, death row inmates served an average of 15 years before their deaths(4). Let's assume that a death row prisoner costs the same amount per year as a maximum security one. This means that their prison sentence cost is 750,000 pounds. When added to the cost of lethal injection, an incarceration of capital punishment is 250,000 pounds more expensive than a sentence for murder.

As well as this, court cases for the death penalty cost far more. This is because nothing can be overlooked, due to the fact that a mistake should never be made with a punishment so serious.

As well as this, a long sentence is, in my personal opinion, a more serious punishment. I'd much rather die after 20 years in prison, rather than have to serve 30, or possibly more. After so long in prison, you'd be likely to become very mentally disturbed. Yes, the idea of your execution hangs right over your head, but at least the sentence is then over more quickly.

(1) http://www.golocalprov.com/news/maxi...-each-per-year
    (2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_i...land_and_Wales
    (3) https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
    (4) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_row

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefauxtrump)
    Okay, so a maximum security prisoner costs about 50,000(1) pounds per year. Let's say a thirty year old commits one count of murder, without using a firearm, and for personal gain. In the UK, this would currently mean a starting point sentence of 30 years(2). Therefore, we'll say our prisoner serves a full 30 years. This means that the prisoner will cost 1.5 million pounds over their sentence. The lethal injection costs around 1.3 million dollars, or just about 1 million pounds(3). In 2010, death row inmates served an average of 15 years before their deaths(4). Let's assume that a death row prisoner costs the same amount per year as a maximum security one. This means that their prison sentence cost is 750,000 pounds. When added to the cost of lethal injection, an incarceration of capital punishment is 250,000 pounds more expensive than a sentence for murder.

As well as this, court cases for the death penalty cost far more. This is because nothing can be overlooked, due to the fact that a mistake should never be made with a punishment so serious.

As well as this, a long sentence is, in my personal opinion, a more serious punishment. I'd much rather die after 20 years in prison, rather than have to serve 30, or possibly more. After so long in prison, you'd be likely to become very mentally disturbed. Yes, the idea of your execution hangs right over your head, but at least the sentence is then over more quickly.

(1) http://www.golocalprov.com/news/maxi...-each-per-year
    (2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_i...land_and_Wales
    (3) https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
    (4) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_row
    I’m actually against the death penalty now because of the data and when I saw the procedure I just thought it was cruel. Then again for terrorist plotters I don’t have much sympathy and they often radicalise others in prison, although I have heard some rehab success stories.

But I watched a show on the death penalty and I just thought it was wrong

ReputationRep:
    In some cases though like Lee Rigby's murderers they want to die.

ReputationRep:
    Terrorists, paedos, premeditated killers should be killed as humanely as possible.

Prisons should become a lot harsher (no mobiles, TVs or consoles) and should require more physical labour- we're meant to have a labour shortage in this country- put them to work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin)
    They cannot be changed and if they are kept in prison, they'll just continue to cost the taxpayer even more money especially if they require any medical attention in the future. Capital punishment should be available to those who have committed murder with express malice aforethought, terrorism and treason.
    What if it was your own son or daughter that had been radicalised? Would you be as unforgiving if that were the case?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applesforme)
    What if it was your own son or daughter that had been radicalised? Would you be as unforgiving if that were the case?
    Then they would be no child of mine.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applesforme)
    Then they're no child of mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin)
    Then they're no child of mine.
    You sound like a great guy. Maybe lay off the Game of Thrones for a while?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cave Felem)
    Are you serious? Rapists often have to be kept on different wings because they get targeted by other inmates and beaten up... I can tell you've done your research.
    Isn't that for child molesters?

Anyway, even if you are right, prisoners rape other prisoners (making them rapists) and are usually seen at the top of the hierarchy.

So yes I am serious.

ReputationRep:
    I don’t think we should bring the death penalty back it’s simply too cruel and you would be hypocrite if they killed someone’s and therefore killed them and apparently it’s ok? So what? Should we all just go round killing people because apparently that’s what the police do now but that’s not counted as murder is it? Yes they done something terribly wrong but should we murder our own kind for justice on the victim? Let them rot in jail. Let them do hard labour. But kill them? Thats absurd.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.