Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Over the past 2 weeks i've been trying to decline my place at my insurance university but everytime i try they give me some reason as to why it can't be done. Today i got an email from them that said i wasn't ALLOWED to decline them. I didn't get into my firm choice but since picking my insurance i've found out that the university isn't very good for what i want to do and i want to go through clearing. Has this happened to anyone else? Are the university allowed to say this and FORCE me to go to their uni? I just need a bit of advice!

ReputationRep:
    Take it as a compliment that they want you so much ... Which University is your insurance, if you don't mind me asking?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie.gillie)
    Over the past 2 weeks i've been trying to decline my place at my insurance university but everytime i try they give me some reason as to why it can't be done. Today i got an email from them that said i wasn't ALLOWED to decline them. I didn't get into my firm choice but since picking my insurance i've found out that the university isn't very good for what i want to do and i want to go through clearing. Has this happened to anyone else? Are the university allowed to say this and FORCE me to go to their uni? I just need a bit of advice!
    You entered into a legal contract, for which you can only ask them to let you out of.

ReputationRep:
    when you put them as your insurance you made a contract between you and the uni, unfortunately you can only go through clearing if they agree to withdraw your contract

maybe try contacting UCAS though
    • Very Important Poster

You have a contract but places dont hold you to them.

Contact UCAS they have a team for such situations.

Just dont enroll and notify SFE you wont be going as well.

They are just making it difficult so you change your mind.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I have heard of universities being slow but never outright refusing to place an applicant into clearing.

Which university is this? They're technically allowed to refuse to release you from your place but they must realise how silly that is.

Ucas might be willing to help but you're more likely to sort it by escalating to someone more senior who will realise that forcing applicants to take a gap year is bad press.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I have heard of universities being slow but never outright refusing to place an applicant into clearing.

Which university is this? They're technically allowed to refuse to release you from your place but they must realise how silly that is.

Ucas might be willing to help but you're more likely to sort it by escalating to someone more senior who will realise that forcing applicants to take a gap year is bad press.

I'm not in this situation, but I know someone who is.

Suppose someone declined all their offers and used Extra to apply to their a new course and got an offer.

Then suppose they accepted that offer by 20th July.

Further suppose that the person changed their mind during the summer and wanted to reject the offer but the uni didn't want to allow them to do it.

Is it possible that the uni would charge the student for the course if the student simply didn't turn up after being refused the chance to leave the course?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desmos)
    I'm not in this situation, but I know someone who is.

Suppose someone declined all their offers and used Extra to apply to their a new course and got an offer.

Then suppose they accepted that offer by 20th July.

Further suppose that the person changed their mind during the summer and wanted to reject the offer but the uni didn't want to allow them to do it.

Is it possible that the uni would charge the student for the course if the student simply didn't turn up after being refused the chance to leave the course?
    A university can't force students to attend. As long as a student hasn't enrolled (and sometimes even if they have but withdraw before the start of the course) then the student won't be liable for fees.

Accommodation charges can sometimes be trickier to avoid but even with them universities are usually sensible.

I really would encourage any applicant who is being refused entry into clearing by their university to publicly name the university concerned. Bad press is one of the few things universities will be afraid of. That and contacting the principal/vice chancellor directly to complain.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.