Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    I will say the same to you. We need to move past this idea of white Christians always being the victim and never the perpetrator. It's not helpful for either side.
    I think everyone is aware that White Christians can be victims and perpetrators.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    I think everyone is aware that White Christians can be victims and perpetrators.
    OP would like to live in a non-Muslim borough with no ethnic minorities. He doesn't seem to think that White Christians can also be perpetrators. That is the point I am getting across here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    Sorry, are you saying that you're not a White English Christian? Are you an immigrant? Complaining about living with other immigrants? The irony.
    Again-I didn't say anything like that. You are the only one who said that I'm racist and I don't tolerate ANY other nation. The funniest thing is this one: you are reading the only things that you want to read. As I said-I can write 398378374 times that I tolerate Muslims and I would never do anything to someone just because of their faith, but you are still telling that I'm racist, because I don't accept illegal immigrants (yes, this is the only not tolerant thing that I said, but I'm not ashamed of that )and because I want to live in a borough where the majority is not Muslims. You are sick gurl. Again-I feel really sorrry for you, probably you are yourself a Muslim, that's why you are acting like that. Wish you meeting more tolerant people, seriously, someone had to hurt you so badly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seamoon)
    Thank you very much!! I was waiting for the answer like that. Don't you really mind if I will write to you? I have a lot of questions about London (maybe right now not that much but as the date of my departure is coming up my number of questions is increasing...)
    Of course I don't mind!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 100years)
    I would say South East London is the best area to live in London. I have lived in Deptford/ Greenwich nearly all my life (19 years) and have never had any problems or know anyone who has, you'll only have trouble if you join a gang or something. Shouting and stabbings are going to happen anywhere in a large city like London. I lived in North London for 2 years and hated it (it was boring) so we moved back to south east london.

You can be in central London in 15 minutes from Lewisham, and it's quite cheap compared to other areas of London. I also think it has more character than other areas and its becoming much 'nicer' and more hip. There's plenty to do, some bars and clubs and lots of pubs, restaurants cafes, shops and markets. Other nearby areas like Peckham and Brixton are even more gentrified so a bit more expensive but very easy to get to with lots to do too. If you want to go to a nicer area, Greenwich and Blackheath are less than 10 minutes away, although these places might be very expensive to live in.

The area is quite multicultural, like most areas of London and there are plenty of young people. I'd definitely recommend some where like Lewisham, New Cross or Deptford, Woolwich and Plumstead are nice too but a bit further out and theres probably less going on.
    While there are certain points I agree with there are many i do not. OP is moving into London like me, not having lived there for 19 years so I think Lewisham would be too much. I'd never recommend it in a million years.
    Greenwich and Blackheath I would but they are pricey.
    Woolwich and Plumstead are bad.

Someone mention Richmond and Enfield. Both are which are nice but too far out, you'll get bored of the daily commute into the city.
    I stick by recommending Canning Town. I'd also recommended a house share in Bermondsey, it takes 20 minutes to walk to Tower Bridge from some areas in Bermondsey and it's nice and quite and the houses can be nice. I found a top floor (third floor) bedroom with complete glass windows to one side looking across the river, with an ensuite for £650pm. It was amazingggggg
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I was born and raised in South East London for my whole life. Lived in the crosshairs between Brockley and New Cross and I know first hand what gang violence is. It never troubled me as I knew nearly all of them so we all got along just fine as long as you got your head screwed on. Lewisham has changed its profile after a couple of years, the centre is being redeveloped and a lot of gentrification is taking place (admittedly I hate this type of social cleansing) to make it more frendlier to the students and young adult population. Personally, if you're okay with a Morleys on every street corner, a mix of reggae/basement or afrobeat whilst connections to Stratford or Central London then you should be fine living in Deptford or New Cross. If you're looking for nicer areas that are a little more expensive then maybe opt for Hither Green but be aware that sometimes traffic on Southeastern trains can be a nightmare to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalallaa)
    I lived in London for 3 years, avoid Lewisham and surrounding areas like the plague. Had a guy stabbed on my road one night and there was no avoiding it they were shouting and screaming and waking everyone up.... basically don't do it. Surrounding areas include ladywell/deptford/plumstead/woolwich.
    Woolwich is also pretty bad. And plummstead, had a guy stabbed with a broken bottle right next to me. Maybe just avoid south east??

I lived in Canning Town for a bit which is East, not the prettiest area but relatively safe and probably my favourite area I lived.
    Central is nice, I lived in Southwark but suuuuuuuper pricey.

Honestly for price and location East is probably best as it has good links into central and avoid south East, if you have any questions about London or anything just ask.
    Hope i haven't put you off too much....
    Lewisham is largely quite crappy but it's surrounded by plenty of decent areas like New Cross and Brockley and even very nice places like Blackheath and Beckenham is also nearby. It's funny that you think Lewisham is unsafe but Canning Town isn't, it's a dump.

I would say the nicest area to live in SW, places like Putney, Fulham and Clapham if you can afford it. If not then some of the areas being gentrified like Balham and Brixton. You could also move a bit further out into Essex, Kent or Surrey and still have good train connections into London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalallaa)
    While there are certain points I agree with there are many i do not. OP is moving into London like me, not having lived there for 19 years so I think Lewisham would be too much. I'd never recommend it in a million years.
    Greenwich and Blackheath I would but they are pricey.
    Woolwich and Plumstead are bad.

Someone mention Richmond and Enfield. Both are which are nice but too far out, you'll get bored of the daily commute into the city.
    I stick by recommending Canning Town. I'd also recommended a house share in Bermondsey, it takes 20 minutes to walk to Tower Bridge from some areas in Bermondsey and it's nice and quite and the houses can be nice. I found a top floor (third floor) bedroom with complete glass windows to one side looking across the river, with an ensuite for £650pm. It was amazingggggg
    I agree and would definitely recommend a house share to get somewhere decent, you wouldn't have to spend time with everyone if you didn't want to and you'll automatically have some friends if you wanted. I think Bermondsey is nice too but I also think people really overestimate how 'bad' Lewisham is, it's actually becoming really middle class. I've been travelling through there late at night, alone, as a girl since I was 12 and have always been safe. I don't think you should just dismiss Lewisham because of its negative reputation, it doesn't even make the top 10 most dangerous boroughs while Westminster, Southwark and Islington do, which are places most people would say are nicer parts of London.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.