Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feel incompatiable with my friends... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This has been really bugging me for a few weeks.

I do have a lot of friends but mainly talk to one group outside of school.

But uh I just feel more mature and I feel too mature around them. Some things they do or talk about I see as stupid while they say "banter".

I am lucky to have friends, but my gut is constantly warning me. I know this is going to sound like a douche thing to say but "you are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with" so I really want to be around people who will enrich me not people who when they talk just roast eachother, waste time etc..

I feel like i am being held back but I also feel like I am not laid back enough. Sometimes I feel like I am the one whos just incompatible with society (but this can be a good thing)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    This has been really bugging me for a few weeks.

I do have a lot of friends but mainly talk to one group outside of school.

But uh I just feel more mature and I feel too mature around them. Some things they do or talk about I see as stupid while they say "banter".

I am lucky to have friends, but my gut is constantly warning me. I know this is going to sound like a douche thing to say but "you are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with" so I really want to be around people who will enrich me not people who when they talk just roast eachother, waste time etc..

I feel like i am being held back but I also feel like I am not laid back enough. Sometimes I feel like I am the one whos just incompatible with society (but this can be a good thing)
    Maybe you've grown apart from the rest of your friends, although this is unlikely.

It could just be a phase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    Maybe you've grown apart from the rest of your friends, although this is unlikely.

It could just be a phase.
    This has been for the past few months and I feel like its got worse with summer.

ReputationRep:
    This has been for the past few months and I feel like its got worse with summer.
    Do you have any hobbies?

Perhaps you could join some sort of club in the summer and meet people with similar interests

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any hobbies?

Perhaps you could join some sort of club in the summer and meet people with similar interests
    Used to love playing video games but starting to hate that now...

Used to love going to the gym but its becoming depressing now.. although I will still try to go idk how to make friends there.

There are no clubs for a 18 year old male, and I cant get a job because I would have to quit it in Sept (studies).

I could go play sports but I always get called **** at the football to the point that i feel nothing when people get angry at me during football. (I am actually decent at football).

Yeah kinda hard for me to make any extra friends until september

ReputationRep:
    Used to love playing video games but starting to hate that now...

Used to love going to the gym but its becoming depressing now.. although I will still try to go idk how to make friends there.

There are no clubs for a 18 year old male, and I cant get a job because I would have to quit it in Sept (studies).

I could go play sports but I always get called **** at the football to the point that i feel nothing when people get angry at me during football. (I am actually decent at football).

Yeah kinda hard for me to make any extra friends until september
    Hmm. Quite a sticky situation.

Have you learnt to drive yet?

It's a new interest but maybe you'll like watching test cricket.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Quite a sticky situation.

Have you learnt to drive yet?

It's a new interest but maybe you'll like watching test cricket.
    No I havent learnt yet keep procrastinating and dont see the point as I will be cycling when i go uni

ReputationRep:
    No I havent learnt yet keep procrastinating and dont see the point as I will be cycling whenever I go uni
    Definitely something to consider then. At least you'll pass the time.

What about a cycling club?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely something to consider then. At least you'll pass the time.

What about a cycling club?
    Nope no cycling clubs in my area and I only mentioned cycling as something I would have to do rather than a hobby.

ReputationRep:
    Nope no cycling clubs in my area and I only mentioned cycling as something I would have to do rather than a hobby.
    Overall, it's up to you to decide. You know yourself better than anyone else.

It's your time and your life.

ReputationRep:
    I totally get where you're coming from.. if i find a solution you'll be the first to hear

ReputationRep:
    Probably it's time to look for new friends.. I don't mean stop talking the ones you have, but if you are feeling this way, the best thing to do is to look for other activities and people who make you feel right. Sometimes we think different than others and that's okay. Actually, I think being different, because you are, not because you want to force yourself to be, it's a really goo thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I guess you are intellectually different from your friends and it's okay to feel incompatible to them, the only solution I can think of is for you to meet new friends.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.