Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When is the best time to start revising for GCSEs Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    In September, I go into year 11 and then I know it will go really fast. I was wondering when should I start revising for GCSEs and how much revision I should be doing at that time. My plan was to spend the summer holidays mainly getting organised and doing occasional notes on things I may have forgotten such as parts of a history topic, and also do the summer work that some teachers have given me. Any helpful advice is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    If you have nothing on this summer then maybe you can start off by writing down your notes and revising a bit. Don't over work. Remember summer holidays is about resting and on each topic I usually did 1/2 hours in a day and the more topics I do the more hours I put in

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hambi123)
    If you have nothing on this summer then maybe you can start off by writing down your notes and revising a bit. Don't over work. Remember summer holidays is about resting and on each topic I usually did 1/2 hours in a day and the more topics I do the more hours I put in

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for your help, I hope to end up actually doing this
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennifugh)
    In September, I go into year 11 and then I know it will go really fast. I was wondering when should I start revising for GCSEs and how much revision I should be doing at that time. My plan was to spend the summer holidays mainly getting organised and doing occasional notes on things I may have forgotten such as parts of a history topic, and also do the summer work that some teachers have given me. Any helpful advice is appreciated
    The best time to start revision for your exams is usually around February, when you can go over everything at a manageable pace. Before this, just focus on learning as you go along

ReputationRep:
    Yes February is the best time to revise, don't over-do it, maybe a few 45 min sessions a week.

ReputationRep:
    I had mocks in December time so I guess my revision started then because I needed to revise for those exams. But I think revision for the main exams started ,for me, around February time. Though it was very little to begin with so don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT START REVISING IN THE SUMMER

You will burn out if you start too early. I revised for my GCSEs mid-April onwards and I did just fine.

You should have started revision in year 9.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll start revising in February then and just focus on homework in summer as well as getting organised. Thank you everyone for the advice

ReputationRep:
    Fair play to everyone who started way before GCSEs even began, but it is different for every person... All of my friends started revising in September of Y11 some even before but i knew that was way too early for me as I wouldn't remember any of it. In actual fact I didn't start revision until 2/3 weeks before exams started and I also found not sticking to a timetable was better for me. I prioritized my subjects (the ones i struggles with/wanted to peruse further) that way i didnt feel stressed or pressured. Just remember that stressing is pretty much the worst thing to do, and if its really that bad you can always resit them... it's not the end of the world. My revision techniques consisted of Mind maps for some subjects, timelines, flash cards and highlighting things. Tbh i dont think i had a clue how to revise and i don't regret not doing excessive amounts of revision because i wasnt stressed and had a very calm attitude and for my personality that was crazy as i stress over everything... Hope this helps x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smif_mister)
    Fair play to everyone who started way before GCSEs even began, but it is different for every person... All of my friends started revising in September of Y11 some even before but i knew that was way too early for me as I wouldn't remember any of it. In actual fact I didn't start revision until 2/3 weeks before exams started and I also found not sticking to a timetable was better for me. I prioritized my subjects (the ones i struggles with/wanted to peruse further) that way i didnt feel stressed or pressured. Just remember that stressing is pretty much the worst thing to do, and if its really that bad you can always resit them... it's not the end of the world. My revision techniques consisted of Mind maps for some subjects, timelines, flash cards and highlighting things. Tbh i dont think i had a clue how to revise and i don't regret not doing excessive amounts of revision because i wasnt stressed and had a very calm attitude and for my personality that was crazy as i stress over everything... Hope this helps x
    Thank you. For me 2-3 weeks before probably wouldn't work but I'll take some of this advice on board especially the part about not getting too stressed.

ReputationRep:
    Revise well for mock exams or end of unit tests to cement stuff in your head and then start building up a little more revision from Jan-march (not too much though, just a few extra hours a week). Revise lots in the Easter holidays, and you'll know you need to revise from then. Honestly the most important thing to do is revise for practice tests when you get into year 11 because you'll remember much more.
    For now, do homework set by school but have a rest otherwise.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.