Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going to university in a relationship? Watch

Announcements

I've been reading so many articles that say to dump your boyfriend before university, which just seems absurd to me, but maybe I'm just being optimistic. Is it worth going to uni in a relationship, in your views, people of TSR? Whether they're at the same uni, different unis, or one at no uni at all???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been reading so many articles that say to dump your boyfriend before university, which just seems absurd to me, but maybe I'm just being optimistic. Is it worth going to uni in a relationship, in your views, people of TSR? Whether they're at the same uni, different unis, or one at no uni at all???
    Depends on the strength of the relationship. One of my flatmates was with their boyfriend for 2 years before university and carried on their relationship all the way through university (4 years), so it is certainly possibly.

The reason why most people say to dump your partner if you are going to uni is because they really just want to be available to have sex with anyone they please and most likely weren't really committed to the relationship, which is fine because who is gonna be committed at 17/18 years old.. however, a small minority of people are committed to each other and can make it through uni in a relationship, as I said, just depends on how committed the two of you are..

Most relationships before uni aren't really that serious if I'm going tbh. However if you're one of those few who are serious and have a strong relationship, I think it's very possible to maintain a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    There's been many polls on here about this in the past and the huge majority result has always been that most relationships do not survive uni. Therefore better to split up beforehand on good terms

ReputationRep:
    DUMP. dump. DUMP. dump. DUUUUUUUUMP.

Unless you have willpower x1000, and dedication, it will last, hell, it's only a matter of time before she'll/he'll dump you first, they're thinking the same thing.

Why restrict yourself like that when you're entering a whole new place and meeting loads of new people you'll potentially get along with more, now's your chance to move on.

However if they go to the same Uni, you may have slightly more chance, but still a very restrictive thing to do.

(Original post by Ezisola)
    There's been many polls on here about this in the past and the huge majority result has always been that most relationships do not survive uni. Therefore better to split up beforehand on good terms
    There's a melodramatic "better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" note to be made, here....

Most young relationships don't last for 3 years regardless, so is uni the factor or is it simple young growth and fickleness?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    There's a melodramatic "better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" note to be made, here....
    Better to have loved, lost and then remained friends than to have love, lost over cheating or insecurities and then never speak again...

ReputationRep:
    These are all good points, but to be honest, who is ever really best friends with their ex anyway? Even if you do break up not at uni?

Going into university in a relationship is a restriction on your personal growth while you are there. However, it is very hard to find someone who is right for you. If they are right for you, you will want to make it work, and it will. If they are not, you will know, and if this is case don't waste your first few weeks at university going through a painful breakup. University isn't the problem - it's whether two people want to be with each other, as with all other relationships.

ReputationRep:
    With none of the people I knew did the relationship survive, including one of my good friends who came to the same uni with his 6th form love. It's a tough challenge alright. But you have to do what feels right at the time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.