Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UNO 635 Bus Service- Timetable Changes and Reinstatement Of Some Services To Hitchin. Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    All that use the UN0 635 service ( Watford- Hatfield- Stevenage and limited journeys to Hitchin) will be interested to know that UNO are to reinstate two journeys each way daily from Stevenage to Hitchin and return from 31st July. A caveat however: the later evening services will run UH term time only.

They will be Hitchin arrive 12.31, 14.31, depart 12.49, 14.37. There will also be timetable adjustments with the route - go to www.unobus.info / news for definitive details.

And just published on the Hertfordshire County Council www.intalink.org.uk website service changes section (these are regular bulletins HCC publish in advance of bus service changes) an outline of yet more changes to some UNO services from 27-29th August, bank holiday weekend, briefly :

Inter-campus shuttle- minor changes.

341/641- timing alterations. In Hatfield only journeys to be all 341.

601- Mon to Fri revisions, some early/late journeys cut back, Sat service reduction St Albans- Hatfield Business Park.

602- service reinstated to and from Hatfield Business Park from rail station on Sundays/bank holidays to compensate in part for loss of the circular 607. Currently there is no service Sundays/b. hols. between the Business Park and surrounding Garden Village estates and the station.

Note: UNO have told me this is on a use or lose trial basis, ( most likely six months). Sundays/bank hols. reinstatement of using the 602 which normally works out of public service between the station and depot and vice versa is very useful for students travelling from the station who live in the Garden Villages and the north end of Salisbury Village locality- the Hearle Way stop mentioned below is only about five minutes walk from The Runway, and about three or so from the roundabout by The David Lloyd Club.

Digressing: the old aircraft hanger now used for the D.L. Club is a listed building, ( grade two I think) as it was built just after World War Two to a special design and construction mainly of aluminium, because of a shortage of steel at the time and any spare around was used in much needed exports, the war having all but bankrupted the UK, and that itself only twenty one years after the unspeakable horrors of WW1, the `war to end all wars` but which seems to have precipitated more ever since......

Going on from reinstatement of the Sunday Business Park 602, as I have mentioned elsewhere those of you returning from the rail station to de Hav / Salisbury Village after midnight and don`t wish to pay premium taxi fares or mind just shy of a ten minute walk there is the 602 returning from Watford still timetabled as a public service bus from the station (stop 4) to the garage in the Business Park at 00.37, ( there are also two earlier ones at 21.37 & 22.37) taking around 5 mins. Get off the bus at Hearle Way, last stop but one before the garage and immeadiately on the left after the bus turns off the roundabout by Eisai from Mosquito Way into Gypsy Moth Avenue. Note: this is currently Mon to Sats.only.

610- some early/late journey withdrawals.

614/44 additional peak hour journeys and to be branded `The Comet Line` or such like ( with some swish new buses I hear)

635- some later journeys withdrawn

653 - some later journey cutbacks/withdrawals daily. :

For London commuters, you may be interested in reading my reply of 01 June below to InspiredMidwife.

Keep in mind as from start of the summer timetable in May 2018, the train services between London King`s Cross- Hatfield and return will be subject to considerable re-timing and alterations as all being well the new cross London link will be operational - meaning train services directly through London without change such as is done on the Thameslink section of the St. Albans - Brighton service now. After turning off into a specially constructed link just north of Gasworks Tunnel outside of King`s Cross at Copenhagen Junction/Belle Isle, the trains from Hatfield will go into St. Pancras and then on to Blackfriars/ London Bridge.

To digress again with another snippet of interest to engineering students:

How many of you realise that the gradient out of King`s Cross, known as `Holloway Bank` (1/105/107) is such that by the time the train reaches Holloway Rd. bridge south of Finsbury Park station it has actually lifted itself as high, if not higher, than the roof of King`s Cross station ? And a little further on, after slightly undulating, from milepost 4 (6.8km) at Wood/Green Alexandra Palace the line or `road` as it is oddly known in rail parlance, then climbs at an unbroken 1/200 (0.5%) for 8 miles (12.8km) reaching over 200 feet (60 odd metres) higher at the summit just before Potters Bar station ?

There will also be an interchange to Crossrail at Farringdon.

If interested, further reading on the proposed train and timetable
    changes when the new link comes into being can be found on:

www.hatfieldrail.com

www.transformingrail.com

Comments welcome.

ReputationRep:
    Useful to know.

Re the train timetable changes- Great Northern need to solve their long standing inability to staff all weekend trains. I won't go to New Barnet without checking the train timetable because I have been caught so often with trains cancelled for lack of a driver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Useful to know.

Re the train timetable changes- Great Northern need to solve their long standing inability to staff all weekend trains. I won't go to New Barnet without checking the train timetable because I have been caught so often with trains cancelled for lack of a driver.
    I fully agree- a few Sats. ago I experienced two early evening trains from KX being cancelled : in the event they made another train ( normally first stop Stevenage) stop additionally at Welwyn Garden City and let people travel back to Hatfield & Potters Bar.

And with all the stoppers now going to and from Moorgate instead of KX, Finsbury Park is the only easy interchange between the semi fasts and stoppers.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hey UnclePete,

Just out of curiosity; what are the timing changes to the 341/641? Will some still run from Ware?

Also, any recommendations on getting to St Alban's from Ware easily?

All the best,

David

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David Trebus)
    Hey UnclePete,

Just out of curiosity; what are the timing changes to the 341/641? Will some still run from Ware?

Also, any recommendations on getting to St Alban's from Ware easily?

All the best,

David
    Hi David, excuse slight delay in getting back to you.

Re. the 341/641- I believe final timings and any route alterations ( I am not aware at present of any reductions to Ware, but can`t be absolutely sure) are still being worked through between UNO and Herts County Council who underwrite at least the 341. This is being done to cater for Presdales School who are changing the school day :also all journeys within Hatfield will be numbered 341 only - presumably to defray any confusion that exists with the service at the moment, which as you probably know was extended to cover the ground lost with withdrawal of the 607 North Hatfield circular service at the last round of HCC funding cuts in March/April. As soon as I hear of any further definitive info., I`ll let you know. UNO are normally pretty prompt at getting any timing/route alterations on their www.unobus.info website, usually about a month before hand.

Re Ware- St.- Albans: there is the direct Arriva 724 Greenline service (Harlow- Gt. Amwell -Ware ( A10/A414) -Hertford- Welwyn Garden City ( via Panshanger estate) Hatfield- St. Albans- Watford- Rickmanswoth- Denham- Uxbridge- London Heathrow and return. There is generally an hourly service Mon - Sats (with extra some thirty mins. frequency short workings Harlow- Hertford ) and two hourly Suns./bank hols.

There are also some other services calling at Ware en-route to and from Herttford: M3, 331, 383, 384, 390 if you decided to change bus ( but extra inconvenience and expense unless you buy an HCC all in day ticket).

Unfortunately I believe Arriva ( www.arrivabus.co.uk/herts-and-essex )who run the 724 no longer do such good UH student deals as they once did: for all the times and routes you require go to www.intalink.org.uk /timetable search . This is HCC`s own site listing all travel in Herts.

Hope this helps. I note you are one of this site`s moderators/overseers: my connections to the UH are one time member of staff ( Engineering Technical Officer) in the former School Of Engineering Manufacturing Systems and Industrial Engineering building that was demolished when the Forum development took place, part time student to HNC level, am a member of The Alumni Association and Friends of The UH society.

ReputationRep:
    Hey UnclePete,

Thanks for the info! If they are going to be catering for Presdales,.it can only be good for Ware services!
    I'll keep an eye on the website and please do let me know any info as it comes up!

Regarding St Albans. I had a feeling that would be the case. But, thought I'd ask you anyway as you have a good knowledge of the routes in the area!

It looks like we will be having to use the 724! It's a shame the old deals don't exist as it really is a bit of a steep bus service!

I'm almost tempted to get a bus to Hatfield then grab a different uni service from there!

I am! I'm a post-graduate rep/marketing assistant. I'm also a Masters student!

Sounds like you have some deep ties to the uni, it's always nice to keep connected! How did you find working at the University? Your area of expertise is something I've always admired but had very little aptitude for myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David Trebus)
    Hey UnclePete,

Thanks for the info! If they are going to be catering for Presdales,.it can only be good for Ware services!
    I'll keep an eye on the website and please do let me know any info as it comes up!

Regarding St Albans. I had a feeling that would be the case. But, thought I'd ask you anyway as you have a good knowledge of the routes in the area!

It looks like we will be having to use the 724! It's a shame the old deals don't exist as it really is a bit of a steep bus service!

I'm almost tempted to get a bus to Hatfield then grab a different uni service from there!

I am! I'm a post-graduate rep/marketing assistant. I'm also a Masters student!

Sounds like you have some deep ties to the uni, it's always nice to keep connected! How did you find working at the University? Your area of expertise is something I've always admired but had very little aptitude for myself.
    I went to the UH ( then a Polytechnic) shortly after doing an engineering trade apprenticeship at the once mighty ICI ( Imperial Chemical Industries) headquarters site that until it closed occupied most of Bessemer Rd. in Welwyn Garden City. As mentioned, I worked as an Engineering Technical Officer in the large purpose built single story engineering block that was demolished when the Forum development took place.......and I just about remember the Font Bar as well as when the Ele House was built. I stayed for around five years before moving on, which was expected for any young person under thirty ( which I was then!) in that job to gain further experience.

All the lecturers and staff were most encouraging in helping me, pretty well all of them self made men with previous industrial and life experience themselves. The UH gave me a lift up in my career, that is why I enjoy contributing and hopefully being of use with these articles- I`m combining something I like doing - I`ve always been a transport buff from my child hood days, at school it was considered `uncool` not to be in the model railway club etc.- as well as putting something back in return for the UH helping me up the ladder.

Two of my buddies in my section at work are UH honours graduates, one in electronics and manufacturing systems, the other in computing science.

I was invited to apply to join the Alumni Association when the Law School first opened, this was by talking to the girl on the AA stand set up in de Hav during one of the UH open days. And I joined the UH Friends` Association about a year ago after talking to Phillip Waters former UH Registrar and former UNO director, who I know from attending the UH sustainable transport seminars held from time to time in the MacLaurin Bld. run very capably by Professor Scott Copsey.

I take a keen interest in the UH, enjoy talking to the students I meet around and good to see UH doing so well. It has always had a good name with employers going right back to the Technical College days. Incidentally the School of Eng dep`t I worked in pioneered the overseas exchange scheme of students gaining valuable work experience abroad, at that time it was mainly Germany & France, now as we know fully global.

It`s a shame this site is not known so well about by many of the students- I myself discovered it some years ago quite accidentally while looking for something else about the UH. I`ve had many accolades for my input over the last five or so years from both students and their parents, so nice to know it`s doing some good!

ReputationRep:
    That all sounds really cool! You definitely have a longstanding background with the University!

Mine comes from my tutor. I enrolled on a course to expand my skill set, and have something productive to do while, I, at the time cared for my dad.

I enjoyed it so much I felt like I'd like to contribute and work for the University, so here I am now.I also developed a good amount of respect for my tutor and her department.

My endgame goal is to become a lecturer one day!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.