Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should this dentist be sued? Watch

Announcements

My wisdom tooth was hurting so bad and I made this dentist appointment on Friday. The dentist found a hole in my wisdom tooth (some infection) and gave me two options. The first option was to take some antibiotics for a week or two and hope everything goes well. The second option was to do the first step of root canal therapy (three stage) that day and try to seal the nerve so that it doesn't hurt anymore. I agreed to do the second.

After giving me two doses of anaesthesia, she started to use water jet spray and dental suction but she had forgotten to check if there was any water left in the bottle. So all she did was suck by breath out. She said 'Oops!' and filled the water bottle and then carried out rest of the procedure. That wasn't the worst part.

The next step was to drill my tooth. Within first few seconds, she accidentally drilled my cheek instead of the tooth. She said, my tooth was too close to the cheek which made her task really hard. And then she said she has nicked my cheek a bit which would go to an ulcer and take approximately 2 weeks to heal. She further said if she were to continue her task she will have to constantly irritate my cheek as my tooth was too close. So she stopped her task, then prescribed me some antibiotics and has invited me this Monday to see if she can continue her task. She apologised at the end but nor her wording nor her tone suggested that she admitted it was her mistake. She kept on telling that my tooth was too close to the cheek and even to the expert it would be really hard.

I don't wanna see her face again nor wanna go to her appointment. What should I do? The wound really hurts while speaking or eating.

Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My wisdom tooth was hurting so bad and I made this dentist appointment on Friday. The dentist found a hole in my wisdom tooth (some infection) and gave me two options. The first option was to take some antibiotics for a week or two and hope everything goes well. The second option was to do the first step of root canal therapy (three stage) that day and try to seal the nerve so that it doesn't hurt anymore. I agreed to do the second.

After giving me two doses of anaesthesia, she started to use water jet spray and dental suction but she had forgotten to check if there was any water left in the bottle. So all she did was suck by breath out. She said 'Oops!' and filled the water bottle and then carried out rest of the procedure. That wasn't the worst part.

The next step was to drill my tooth. Within first few seconds, she accidentally drilled my cheek instead of the tooth. She said, my tooth was too close to the cheek which made her task really hard. And then she said she has nicked my cheek a bit which would go to an ulcer and take approximately 2 weeks to heal. She further said if she were to continue her task she will have to constantly irritate my cheek as my tooth was too close. So she stopped her task, then prescribed me some antibiotics and has invited me this Monday to see if she can continue her task. She apologised at the end but nor her wording nor her tone suggested that she admitted it was her mistake. She kept on telling that my tooth was too close to the cheek and even to the expert it would be really hard.

I don't wanna see her face again nor wanna go to her appointment. What should I do? The wound really hurts while speaking or eating.

Thanks.
    I'm not sure this is the sort of thing you can sue over, but you may want to see about transferring to another dentist either at that surgery or a new one and possibly reporting the issue as a complaint.

To me it sounds like it was an honest mistake and not negligence or deliberate. If you have an infection it's fair to say your cheek may be a little swollen which could bring it quite close to your tooth, especially given how close they are already. Dentists have a lot of things going on in a small space and the are only human.
    Just think about any time you've bitten your own tooth or tongue.
    She stopped when it happened, told you the problem and gave you a choice to stop and avoid further issues. That's as close to owning up to a mistake as any medical professional will tend to get cos of they keep saying "sorry I messed up." it will make people scared to go back.

Still it was unfortunate and I can see why you would be upset by it.
    Obviously you need to see somebody for your tooth, but I can understand why you would not want to see them again so I would say see what you can do about finding another dentist ASAP. If you do not have time to do it for this issue, you may find it comforting to take a second person into your appointment with you so they can make sure nothing bad goes on.

ReputationRep:
    Are you American?

If so, yes. If not, no.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.