Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The name of GOD, NOT "Jehovah"! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The Jewish encyclopedia reports this response to the signs of God's displeasure when Jesus was crucified:
    "after the death of the high priest Simeon the Righteous, forty years prior to the destruction of the Temple, the priests ceased to pronounce the Name. From that time the pronunciation of the Name was prohibited."
    ... for fear of misusing it and breaking the second commandment ("You shall not take the name of the Lord, your God in vain", Deut. 5:11).

To the unrepentant Jews in Egypt, God had already said:
    "my name shall no more be named in the mouth of any man of Judah in all the land of Egypt, saying, ...Behold, I will watch over them for evil, and not for good" (Jer. 44:26-27)

Whenever they read Scripture aloud and encountered the divine name, they substituted another Hebrew word, "Adonai" ("LORD" or "my Lord"). Hebrew developed written vowels, which appeared as small marks called vowel points and were placed above and below the consonants of a word.

500 years on, some Jews began to place the vowel points for "Adonai" over the consonants for YHVH to remind the reader to say "Adonai". In the 13th century the term "Jehovah" appeared when Catholic scholars took the consonants of YHVH and pronounced it with the vowels of "Adonai." This resulted in the sound "Yahowah," which has a Latinized spelling of "Jehovah." The first recorded use of this spelling was made by a Spanish Dominican monk, Raymundus Martini, in 1270.
    This is admitted in "Jehovah Witness" literature, so despite their loathing of the RCC, and their *claim* to use God's real name, their very name contains a Catholic invention, the name "Jehovah"!

ReputationRep:
    The name YHVH (Yod-He-Vau-He) ("Yahweh" ) in ancient Hebrew "pictogram" letters is
    hand-behold-nail-behold
    God's help by Jesus!

Name:  Hebrew pictographs jpg.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  234.9 KB

Co-incidentally when you look at Psalm 119:
    v73 YOD Thy hands have made me and fashioned me:
    v33 HE Teach me, O Lord, the way of thy statutes;
    v41 VAU Let thy mercies come also unto me,
    v33 HE Teach me, O Lord, the way of thy statutes;

Also when you write the letters upright you get the image of a man!

ReputationRep:
    More here.

ReputationRep:
    But in the Latin alphabet 'Jehovah' begins with an 'I'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFarmerLad)
    But in the Latin alphabet 'Jehovah' begins with an 'I'?
    The Latin alphabet came with the Romans hundreds of years later. As you have probably found, foreign people find certain letters hard to pronounce so the spelling in their language changes.

More here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    The Latin alphabet came with the Romans hundreds of years later. As you have probably found, foreign people find certain letters hard to pronounce so the spelling in their language changes.

More here.
    Sound info, thanks! But did you not get the reference to the Last Crusade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqT66AVml48

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFarmerLad)
    Sound info, thanks! But did you not get the reference to the Last Crusade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqT66AVml48
    No, missed that, I wouldn't rely on Hollywood for history of spirituality

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.