Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Short Question:
    What are the relative advantages/ disadvantages of a grad dip in Econ at Birkbeck vs the University of London LSE course? - or any other suggestions?

Background:
    After completing an undergrad degree in Politics at a Russell group uni I've realised that all the masters programmes that interest me require some background in economics.
    I wouldn't be looking to apply for a straight Economics MSc, more likely I'd want to attend one that is more political economy / environmental economics based (still working that out!). At the moment I would be looking to do this elsewhere in Europe.

I have decided to do a grad dip in economics, but would need to do distance learning and would be looking to work part time alongside trying to complete it in a year.

The University of London course is much cheaper and seems to come with the LSE name, but I have read a lot on here about how great the Birkbeck one is... does anyone have any pointers?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    LSE has a conversion course for Economics for domestic applicants, just to note. If your intention is to pursue further study (including potentially up to PhD and beyond) then the relative value of "brand name" is less important, although it can help somewhat. If you plan on working in industry any time soon, brand name is much more important and LSE will instantly at least catch their notice - although they may well dismiss it immediately after looking at it further, depending on how relevant the qualification is to the position

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.